UAS strikes again, after all this time! (or how many are enough/too many??)

CountryMouse

Reaction score
(cross-posted from my blog)

I have a LOT of ukuleles. The ones that I have that cost a bit more are:

-- Island design floral custom concert Fluke
-- Red cowboy design concert Fluke
-- Denim design concert Flea
-- Eleuke mahogany soprano
-- Kala Watermelon soprano

I have a cigar-box ukulele that was a gift and handmade, so I wouldn't begin to know how to value that.

I have several others that I don't really need and probably should sell or give away...but I have reasons why I don't want to:

-- The light blue tropical fruit Mahalo soprano is the one I learned on and I feel sentimental about.
-- My white Makala dolphin soprano I really WANT to keep because it has such a sweet sound.
-- A standard brown Lanakai soprano (LU-21) with white binding. It's the only traditional-looking ukulele I have.
-- TV Pal vintage plastic ukulele. Those are interesting and hard to find at a decent price. A friend went to a lot of trouble to get it for me.
-- Black Mahalo Les Paul soprano. I bought this as a beater. If I take it somewhere and it gets damaged/lost/stolen, it won't be a terrible loss.

SO: why do I still want a "poiple" Flea soprano??? I think I've just about given up on a banjolele--they are so loud and would be overpowering for my voice. But I love the sound of the Flea. And I'd like the smaller version of it. I guess purple ("poiple"), although other designs and colours call to me also.

AAARRRGH! I am suddenly in the throes of UAS again!

CountryMouse

CountryMouse

I could blame you for my acquisition of a cowboy Fluke, but 'poiple' is pretty amazing, too...

I have a cigar-box ukulele that was a gift and handmade, so I wouldn't begin to know how to value that.

I have several others that I don't really need and probably should sell or give away...but I have reasons why I don't want to:

-- The light blue tropical fruit Mahalo soprano is the one I learned on and I feel sentimental about.
-- My white Makala dolphin soprano I really WANT to keep because it has such a sweet sound.
-- A standard brown Lanakai soprano (LU-21) with white binding. It's the only traditional-looking ukulele I have.
-- TV Pal vintage plastic ukulele. Those are interesting and hard to find at a decent price. A friend went to a lot of trouble to get it for me.
-- Black Mahalo Les Paul soprano. I bought this as a beater. If I take it somewhere and it gets damaged/lost/stolen, it won't be a terrible loss.

SO: why do I still want a "poiple" Flea soprano??? I think I've just about given up on a banjolele--they are so loud and would be overpowering for my voice. But I love the sound of the Flea. And I'd like the smaller version of it. I guess purple ("poiple"), although other designs and colours call to me also.

CountryMouse
I don't have a very big collection of ukes, but I would love a poiple concert flea myself...

Ah, yes! Mine is a true zombie killer.

What kind of strings are you using on your concert Flukes?

At the moment I have Aquilas on the floral Island design (but I might go back to the Hilo black nylon) and Pro Arte from the UU store on the red cowboy Fluke. I have Kala Red strings on the Denim Flea. I'm not sure if they have as much sustain as the Pro Arte strings...but that might be the ukulele and not the strings.

What strings do you have on your Fluke?

CountryMouse

I've seen those Demin Flea ukes .
I wouldn't mind having one of those! Wow, you do have a lot of ukes! Where do you keep them all? lol

I know, it's a lot. I have some in the living room, and some back here in my computer room. All except the CBU are in soft cases.

Probably because it's the handiest at present, I seem to pick up the Denim Flea the most lately. I do love the sound. :)

CountryMouse

CountryMouse

Nonsense! You enjoy them and they bring you joy....we could all use as much joyfullness as we can get! Whenever people ask me with an accusing tone "Ryan, how MANY ukes do you have?", I immediately reply "Three fewer than I NEED". Guilt about UAS shouldn't be a part of this fun!

What strings do you have on your Fluke?

It came a week ago with, I think, GHS strings which are not so good.
I've got a set of Aquilas here to put on it now. I'm thinking the Kala Reds would look nice, too.

Thanks, and good luck with your new case of UAS.

CountryMouse, I think a purple flea would be the perfect addition to your collection! Always enjoy your playing & voice, have a great weekend!

Aloha Country Mouse,
This is your friendly UAS enabler, If it makes you happy and poiple is sooo nice, get it as an early christmas present for yourself....Have Fun and Enjoy!!!!Happy Strummings!!! MM Stan...

Nonsense! You enjoy them and they bring you joy....we could all use as much joyfullness as we can get! Whenever people ask me with an accusing tone "Ryan, how MANY ukes do you have?", I immediately reply "Three fewer than I NEED". Guilt about UAS shouldn't be a part of this fun!

Oh! What a wonderful way to look at it! :) As it turns out, Cat'r and I played around a lot with several ukes and singing this evening--it was fun!

CountryMouse

It came a week ago with, I think, GHS strings which are not so good.
I've got a set of Aquilas here to put on it now. I'm thinking the Kala Reds would look nice, too.

Thanks, and good luck with your new case of UAS.

Oh, I thought the stock strings that come on Flukes and Fleas are Hilo black nylon? They do sound a bit soft compared to Aquilas though. :) Just remember: if you use Kala Red strings, DO NOT cut the two wound strings! They are wound nylon and will unravel if cut!

CountryMouse

CountryMouse, I think a purple flea would be the perfect addition to your collection! Always enjoy your playing & voice, have a great weekend!

Eeee, you're such a wonderful enabler! Hehehe! Thank you very much re: my voice and playing. :) You too, a great weekend!

CountryMouse

Aloha Country Mouse,
This is your friendly UAS enabler, If it makes you happy and poiple is sooo nice, get it as an early christmas present for yourself....Have Fun and Enjoy!!!!Happy Strummings!!! MM Stan...

Oh my gosh, I hadn't even read your post yet when I called Kalihonu an enabler (in the best possible way)!

Well, I'm hoping I'll have the money by Christmas. ::crossing fingers::

CountryMouse

Top Bottom