PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite situation for playing?

jacothedog
11-20-2010, 10:17 AM
Mine is at the end of a party, with all the stragglers singing along with me. A close second is when I played a bunch of kid songs at my neighbor's daughter's birthday party.

Let's hear yours!

thejumpingflea
11-20-2010, 10:30 AM
Somewhere with drunk, old, rich people and a tip jar. ;)

ukecantdothat
11-20-2010, 10:42 AM
All alone, late at night, half way up the east stairwell of the parking structure at NBC/Universal in North Hollywood. Unbelievable reverb for days!

olgoat52
11-20-2010, 11:43 AM
When I am asleep and playing brilliantly!! Actually that is theoretical as it has not happened yet :D

Uncle Leroy
11-20-2010, 12:23 PM
On a beach with a bunch of girls around me, and they all have an uncle fetish. Sounds cool yeah?

Lexxy
11-20-2010, 12:52 PM
I just experimented two days ago, and my favourite place would be in the park! :)

rasputinsghost
11-20-2010, 01:20 PM
When everyone's drunk at a party and I am, too

Chris Tarman
11-20-2010, 03:25 PM
To paraphrase Rainer Wolfcastle from The Simpsons: "On an enormous pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful ladies". In real life, so far, I mostly play here at my computer desk or standing in the bathroom (for the reverb).

pwcgecko
11-20-2010, 03:45 PM
Coming home from work everyday to distress.

jacothedog
11-21-2010, 01:15 AM
After hearing Chris' Simpsons reference, can I change mine??????

Hippie Dribble
11-21-2010, 01:46 AM
nursing homes with ol' folk; sunday school with young'uns

Hippie Dribble
11-21-2010, 02:07 AM
forgot to mention the place in which I undoubtedly do my best work...

Chris Tarman
11-21-2010, 05:10 AM

Coming from a long line of "bathroom readers", I have to admit that I have played my uke more than once while doing my "business" (as discussed on a much earlier thread). I would LOVE to have a uke hanger in the bathroom, but I don't think there's any way my wife would go for that. MAYBE if we had two bathrooms. We live in a fairly big house, but it was built in 1911 and only has the one bathroom, and I am not even certain that it had that one originally!

ukecantdothat
11-21-2010, 06:13 AM

A wonderful idea, but doesn't the disinfectant dull the finish? ;•}

haole
11-21-2010, 08:19 AM
When I'm completely alone and nobody else can hear me play. That's the only time I can play smoothly and comfortably. :B

Dane
11-21-2010, 08:40 AM
When I'm completely alone and nobody else can hear me play. That's the only time I can play smoothly and comfortably. :B

Ditto, and also the bathroom discussion. Bathroom has good acoustics.

Hippie Dribble
11-21-2010, 08:46 AM
Coming from a long line of "bathroom readers", I have to admit that I have played my uke more than once while doing my "business" (as discussed on a much earlier thread). I would LOVE to have a uke hanger in the bathroom, but I don't think there's any way my wife would go for that. MAYBE if we had two bathrooms. We live in a fairly big house, but it was built in 1911 and only has the one bathroom, and I am not even certain that it had that one originally!

funnily enough Chris, it was my wife who suggested it!!! This coming after she had seen me negotiate two doorways whilst carrying a uke, song folder, notepad and a cup of coffee every morning for 5 years. Numerous cups of spilt coffee and muted sounds of a grizzly bear cursing yet another spilt drop... It's also helped that my darling daughter has also taken after dear ol' dad, and can sit there for longer stints than he playing the uke!

Hippie Dribble
11-21-2010, 08:48 AM
A wonderful idea, but doesn't the disinfectant dull the finish? ;•}

probably does mate, but I only hang in there the ones I consider my "bangers"....mahalos, usually, or the ol' harmony...

GreatGazukes
11-21-2010, 09:04 AM
funnily enough Chris, it was my wife who suggested it!!! This coming after she had seen me negotiate two doorways whilst carrying a uke, song folder, notepad and a cup of coffee every morning for 5 years. Numerous cups of spilt coffee and muted sounds of a grizzly bear cursing yet another spilt drop... It's also helped that my darling daughter has also taken after dear ol' dad, and can sit there for longer stints than he playing the uke!

You ain't writing this from in there are you? Please tell us you're not. PLEASE!!!!

Hippie Dribble
11-21-2010, 09:07 AM
You ain't writing this from in there are you? Please tell us you're not. PLEASE!!!!

aaaah brother Tony, consider the battleships bombed...

Lexxy
11-21-2010, 09:10 AM

Just leave a uke stand in there and act dumb!

fitncrafty
11-21-2010, 09:11 AM

I am with you... I play alone most of the time, but my family is going to have to listen to me today, because I am dying to go and pick it up.. sorry for them... I just can't wait until Monday and we have company.. sigh... I was nervous recording myself... and I was alone!

haole
11-21-2010, 10:05 AM
I am with you... I play alone most of the time, but my family is going to have to listen to me today, because I am dying to go and pick it up.. sorry for them... I just can't wait until Monday and we have company.. sigh... I was nervous recording myself... and I was alone!

I'd love to have the confidence to play in front of others regularly, but for some reason I'm a million times sloppier when someone's listening. And forget about recording. Sometimes it'll take me over a hundred separate takes before I can nail a track, even if I can play it flawlessly alone in my room. That's why I have about 20GB of videos that I've never gotten around to posting. :B

fitncrafty
11-21-2010, 10:11 AM
I'd love to have the confidence to play in front of others regularly, but for some reason I'm a million times sloppier when someone's listening. And forget about recording. Sometimes it'll take me over a hundred separate takes before I can nail a track, even if I can play it flawlessly alone in my room. That's why I have about 20GB of videos that I've never gotten around to posting. :B

I know.. it's good to have it for 'the record' to see improvement. I did post one video privately, and felt like I was going to vomit the whole time waiting for any response!

I don't mind playing with the uke group because they can't hear me sing or play.. Someday it will come!

hankisanerd
11-21-2010, 10:15 AM
nursing homes with ol' folk; sunday school with young'uns

Please remember to wash you hands after "Ukeing"

nickman2
11-21-2010, 10:26 AM
siting in the hallway at my school with a one other uke and 5 guitars all playing the same chord progression and having various people in the group improv some awesome vocals about everything imaginable

Dane
11-21-2010, 10:31 AM

to have a good recording you don't have to have a perfect track. One of my videos the WHOLE thing is basically mistakes, because I had just come up with it and hadn't even practiced it yet, but if it werent for the mistakes it wouldn't sound so cool!!!

ukecantdothat
11-21-2010, 01:13 PM
...And forget about recording....
Back in the analog day we used to call that "tape pressure." You'd run through your part, nod to the tape op, and as soon as the red light came on... nothin' but clams! One engineer I used to work with would roll tape and make you believe it was just a run through, then you'd say, "OK. Ready." And he'd say, "Don't worry. Got it!" But that would only work once, because then of course you were hip to his trick. I still get that now, but I can't call it "tape" pressure anymore now that digital has a firm hold everywhere.

OldePhart
11-21-2010, 02:29 PM

I can relate to the recording thing. I don't have trouble playing in front of others at least when I've got a few other band-mates to share the blame. In fact, playing live is it's own rush.

Recording, though, is something else. I think I've only ever made one decent recording of myself and that was because I was only recording to check if the audio card in my computer was duplex (i.e. can play back and record at the same time). I ended up playing some slow blues improv (electric guitar) for about five or six minutes flawlessly with a tune I'd only heard a couple of times previously. Haven't been able to accomplish that before or since. :(

John

mendel
11-21-2010, 03:03 PM
I love to sit in my hammock in the backyard and play around on my Uke. I wish t sounded better, but that takes time. I've only been playing for about 6 weeks or so.

ichadwick
11-22-2010, 01:36 AM
... during sex....

ytmr
11-22-2010, 01:49 AM
With friends, when I have people playing acoustic guitar, electric bass and even keyboards, and they all turn THEIR volume down so I can be heard :D

Hippie Dribble
11-22-2010, 01:57 AM
... during sex....

:wtf:

what songs to you recommend Ian? My hands are generally otherwise engaged at such times mate but for pure, unbridled uke devotion, you automatically achieve legendary status brother!!!!:worship:

Life's 2 great obsessions rolled into one!!!

harpdog
11-22-2010, 03:17 AM
My favorite was a running gig in a beer garden on Sunday afternoons - just me and my duo partner and a bunch of people enjoying good weather, lots of drinks, and a historic little town.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/ElGuitana/Music%20Stuff/site1002.jpg

Hippie Dribble
11-22-2010, 03:34 AM
My favorite was a running gig in a beer garden on Sunday afternoons - just me and my duo partner and a bunch of people enjoying good weather, lots of drinks, and a historic little town.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/ElGuitana/Music%20Stuff/site1002.jpg

great picture harpdog. Thanks for posting...mmm...the sunday sessions in the beer garden. Awesome.

The sunday sessions are also very popular here in Tasmania...perfect, laid back atmosphere and vibe for uke playing, eh?

Tudorp
11-22-2010, 03:38 AM
Just sitting around, very informal with friends and family. Casual playing, not trying to impress, just fun playing and singing. Even better with grandkids, and other kids around to toss them a Uke to play too.

hoosierhiver
11-22-2010, 03:52 AM
at the UWC!

kenikas
11-22-2010, 06:08 AM
One word.... Grandkids! Or is that two words?

OldePhart
11-22-2010, 03:24 PM
One word.... Grandkids! Or is that two words?

In my case, eleven words ;)

franulele
11-23-2010, 12:50 AM
For young folks, old folks, and on my deck overlooking the mountains.

mm stan
11-23-2010, 01:01 AM
Sometimes the solitude of practicing alone brings out my creativeness....which I really like....

ichadwick
11-23-2010, 01:08 AM
:My hands are generally otherwise engaged at such times...
And your mouth isn't?

kenikas
11-23-2010, 05:28 AM
In my case, eleven words ;)

Now that does sound fun! I've only got five (so far) but it's a blast especially the two year old and twin four year olds, they definitely make up for their lack of uke proficiency with their enthusiasm!

Hippie Dribble
11-23-2010, 05:34 AM
And your mouth isn't?

sorry Ian...you've totally lost me there mate...not sure how that relates to the topic at hand...you don't play a uke with your mouth do you??? yours, utterly confused, eugene:confused:

OldePhart
11-23-2010, 02:04 PM
Now that does sound fun! I've only got five (so far) but it's a blast especially the two year old and twin four year olds, they definitely make up for their lack of uke proficiency with their enthusiasm!

Heh, heh. I have a fairly nice mandolin - PacRim but near the top of that particular pile. Right after I got it I let my two year old grandson strum it while I fingered the chords for him. He was having a great time and going a little wild but I was thinking, it's okay, he's just hitting the pickguard with that hard, sharp, mando pick. After a few minutes of this when he finally got tired I turned the mandolin face up and realized it doesn't have a pickguard. Anybody wanna buy a mando with a custom distressed finish?

He's not going to "play" my new KoAloha!

John

salukulady
11-23-2010, 02:37 PM
at the UWC!.....after the field at UWC playing with my friends back at the cabin until we all pass out from beer and exhaustion at 4 or 5 in the morning.

ichadwick
11-24-2010, 03:38 AM
...you don't play a uke with your mouth do you???
No, my hands, so my mouth is free for other purposes.

*sigh*. Salacious humour becomes rather flaccid when it needs explaining.

SailingUke
11-24-2010, 05:52 AM
My favorite playing situation would be in front of a crowd where I am being paid some big bucks.
Since that is unlikely to happen, my favorite thing is to sit around with a few close ukulele friends and play songs and sing.

My definition of a close ukulele friend is someone who plays ukulele. (at any level)

DAPuke
11-24-2010, 06:22 AM
I'm relatively new too, (Apr) so I've not yet experienced a situation that really turned me on. My goal is to be confident playing for and with others. Currently I like sitting out on the back deck where I can play loud and bellow freely, (as long as the neighbor's aren't home) :)
DAP

Ingrate
11-24-2010, 07:57 AM

I can surely relate! I recorded "Happy Birthday" (instrumental), and that simple number took me 33 takes. The more I practice, the better I'm getting, though.

Ukuleleblues
11-24-2010, 11:15 AM
A big crowd that is getting into it to feed the energy and we're getting paid.