Straps

mendel

Reaction score
Hi Everybody!

I have been wondering what type of strap I should get. My current Uke does not have the buttons for a traditional guitar strap. I also have a Charango without any strap buttons. To make matters more difficult, I am a rather large person. As such, stuff that fits the shoulders and arms of most people do not fit me. Is there a strap out there versatile and large enough for both instruments and a large guy!?!? Any suggestions?!?! I know several of you own your own companies and so forth, so I am hopeful that somone has the product for me.

Mendel

I also recommend the uke leash.. Lori is so helpful and will custom make it if necessary.. Good luck.. I love my leash...

Maybe another member will chime in with the name, but there is a strap that you wear around your neck and it somehow goes under the uke and hooks into the sound hole. No need for the shoulders to be involved like a guitar strap, and it is attached to you not the instrument so it's easy to change between instruments I can't recall where I saw them for sale...I know someone here will know. I'll take a look and see if I can find it.

Mendel... Great to have you on the boards! I'm a big guy too (and tall) so it was tough to find a good strap. I solved the problem on all three of my ukes by going to the women's dept at TJ Maxx and finding a very cheap and skinny belt in the bargain rack. Some of them are very long.. apparently designed for BIG women! In fact.. long enough that I had to cut them off! I used a hobby Exacto knife to undo the buckle. With each belt, It automatically had a hole in it big enough to go around the strap pin on the back of my uke. I installed the other button on the side of the ukes neck where it enters the uke body. I used that same knife to slit at the other end of the belt. THEY WORK PERFECTLY... and actually look like custom straps. In fact, I've had a number of people ask me where I found the cool straps. One other thing: They were VERY inexpensive... less than five dollars in each instance. Might be an idea worth considering! Hope this helps.

I second the uke thong. Works great. Welcome to UU.

If you would like a Uke Leash, I would be happy to make it any length you need. I make them all myself, and the Polypro webbing I use comes on a large spool. The leather straps are limited to a max of about 58 inches (in brown oiled leather), and the head stock strap adds another 3 inches (but this length could be made longer too).

–Lori

I'd also recommend the uke leash. You can also buy an attachment that converts the uke leash to a regular strap if you decide to install a strap button.

The Ukeleash looks amazing. I am a bit of a bull in a China shop, though. I fear that if I am standing, I may drop the bottom of the Uke while strumming. I think I'd feel a bit more comfortable with something that holds the back end as well. The thong looks nice, but I'm afraid that downward pressure on te Uke may damage the sound hole. As I have no prior experience, I have to trust the judgment of more experienced musicians. Any thoughts???

And thank you for welcoming me to the community!!!

The Ukeleash looks amazing. I am a bit of a bull in a China shop, though. I fear that if I am standing, I may drop the bottom of the Uke while strumming. I think I'd feel a bit more comfortable with something that holds the back end as well. The thong looks nice, but I'm afraid that downward pressure on te Uke may damage the sound hole. As I have no prior experience, I have to trust the judgment of more experienced musicians. Any thoughts???

The thing about the UkeLeash is if you let go of the bottom of the uke, it will just sort of swoop down and not fall on the ground :)

Uke Leash, Uke Leash, Uke Leash! Especially if Lori can make it to any length you need. I don't use a strap often on any of my ukes, but I have a Uke Leash, a thong-type, and a regular leather strap (for my 2 with buttons). Of the three designs, I like the Uke Leash best. In fact, the only reason I ever use a regular strap is because in one band I play a tune that I start on uke and finish on bass, and I don't have time to set the uke down, so it has to hang there above the bass guitar.
One of the great things about the Leash is that you can get multiple headstock straps so you can switch the leash from uke to uke.

I'm seeing a leash in your future. Personally, I'm a button strap type for gigging. I need complete hands free capability sometimes messing around with charts, picking up a shaker, adjusting DI settings etc. Ultimately it would be nice to go strapless, like Alrine for instance. There's a certain connectiveness he displays in his live performances that seems to be enhanced by the way his uke seems to be one with the body. At times he'll let the instrument "float" for lack of a better term. But a strap is like a security blanket for me.

I'm seeing a leash in your future. Personally, I'm a button strap type for gigging. I need complete hands free capability sometimes messing around with charts, picking up a shaker, adjusting DI settings etc. Ultimately it would be nice to go strapless, like Alrine for instance. There's a certain connectiveness he displays in his live performances that seems to be enhanced by the way his uke seems to be one with the body. At times he'll let the instrument "float" for lack of a better term. But a strap is like a security blanket for me.

The Uke Leash now has an option that lets you attach it to a strap button!

If you let go of an ukulele while you're using a uke thong, the ukulele may fall to the ground (unless it's perfectly balanced so that it weighs exactly the same on either side of the point of contact with the thong. With the uke leash, however, the ukulele may swing a bit from your shoulder if you let go of the uke, as UkuleleHill pointed out, but it won't fall to the ground. Try the uke leash. The worst case scenario is that you later decide to get a strap button, and you can still use the uke leash as a strap by getting the little strap button uke leash accessory.

I'm a larger size, too.
I'll admit to not actually owning Uke Leash or a uke thong but after experimenting with passable facsimilies I just took the plunge on my tenor and attached a strap button to the bottom and to the underside of the heel. I then bought a narrowish, cheapo guitar strap. On my soprano I just put a button on the bottom and attached a shoelace to the other end of the strap and thread it under the strings between the tuners. Screwing holes in my ukes was painful at the time but now I'm over it. :)
I've gotta say I much prefer it that way. My hands are completely free, the strap takes the full balanced weight of the instrument and it's secure.

Well, I'll throw in my 2 cents again.
'Ukuleles are so light that a shoestring will do, IMO. Apply a cable-tie self-adhesive anchor to the base of the 'uke, and attach a shoestring.

Like this:
View attachment 17905

This looks like a great idea for flukes and fleas. I personally could not use adhesive on a solid wood uke, but that's just me. (And, go figure, I would consider drilling holes for strap butttons.) My guitars all have strap buttons, the more expensive ones with strap locks.

I have a Flea Market Music uke strap (uke thong) and a uke leash with multiple head attachments on several ukes and they both work well to free up the left hand. I may order a longer strap from Lori, but the standard one is fine. I say tuck that uke under your arm and give the uke leash a try.
Regards,
Ray

Top Bottom