Just a little frustrated. Need some beginners luck, I mean help.

stevecarrero

Reaction score
After strumming a guitar for many years, I'm finding it really hard to get a natural strum by using my index finger. I'm trying the point to the uke then point to the ground method described in ukulele minutes on this site. Its very awkward and not a very natural feel to me.

I'm finding myself using just my thumb, and getting a very muted and not a real bright sound projection.

Any other guitar to uke beginners experience this same uncomfortable awkwardness ? What did you do to overcome this frustration ? :confused:

I feel your pain!! Took me at least 2 months before it felt even close to normal not using a pick (broke down & bought some wedgie rubber picks & gave them a try). I've played guitar for 30+ years, so it takes some getting used to. But... all is well now, some 4 months into my new obsession!

We uke players are a more laid-back group than the guitarists though, most will answer; just play it how it feels right for you. There are plenty of professional ukers who use picks (a few thumb pickers in the bunch too!).

I use my thumb most of the time. If I want a brighter or louder sound, I try to catch the nail.
Of course, I also am left handed, so apparently I actually know next to nothing.
Do whatever floats your boat, I say.

Aloha SteveCarrero,
Start off with a slow strum and concentrate to hitting the strings evenly first, when you feel comfortable and get better on the strum and timing, incease your speed..also lighten how hard you attack the strings..

hi Steve

my 2 cents...

try and keep your wrist nice and loose, and, if the single index finger feels weird, try using all four for a while, or maybe the index finger and the middle finger.

I don't like using the thumb as a mainstay for strumming, because, as you said, there is such a difference in volume and sound projection...it's good for single string picking, but you need your fingers for strumming...also try growing the nails on your index / middle a bit longer.

All the best with it mate...be patient though, it'll take alittle time to feel totally comfortable after spending many years with the guitar...ex-guitarist here too brother!

Believe me, your strumming will greatly improve as you get more comfortable holding and playing the uke...you'll learn how to extract litttle nuances and subtleties with the sound of the uke. But it's not gonna happen straight away. Stay with it though mate. The rewards will come...

Just the opposite for me. I cannot get used to using the thumb at all. Since I am brand new at this I am spending a bunch of time in this forum and on youtube looking for helpful hints. I am having trouble with getting good sound when strumming up. I think mm stan hit the nail on the head. slow and steady. speed will come with time... at least that is how it went learning to pick the banjo.

You may or may not have tried this, and I don't want to make it overly simple, but can put your thumb and index finger together and play as if you are holding a pick and use your nail as a pick?

John

Last edited:
My noobage self is using the thumb successfully thus far only because I don't know any different. If I want a brighter sound, I grab a Wegan.

I use my thumb and my fingertips. Seldom ever use my index finger. Sometimes use a flat pick. Do what works for you.

Top Bottom