Kala All-solid Mahogany Tenor vs Mainland Mahogany Tenor

hi ytmr

both ukes should have a warm sound. If you want mellow, go mango.

I thought that too.

String choice will also affect mellowness

I'd say go team Mainland, but then I would say that wouldnt I?

sorry ytmr

david and paul both corrected me there. I think I'm in a mango stupor these days...my advice to everyone is to go mango. I've just bought two mango ukes and tried worth clears on them...they just sound so lovely. I love mango. After Koa, I'd choose mango every time...what was the question again? :eek:

I've checked, and the Mainland is cheaper than the Kala. I'm looking for something that's mellow and sweet, because I've got a Flame Maple with the Spruce top that's really bright, and I want something on the other side of the spectrum.

Eugene, the Mango looks gorgeous, but it's more expensive than mahogany, isn't it? (Mainland Mango Tenor)

I actually considered getting something with a pickup, but realised that I would need to get an amp as well, and I don't gig, and I wanted something with a pickup so I could play at night without disturbing others, I'm sort of an owl.

I've checked, and the Mainland is cheaper than the Kala. I'm looking for something that's mellow and sweet, because I've got a Flame Maple with the Spruce top that's really bright, and I want something on the other side of the spectrum.

Eugene, the Mango looks gorgeous, but it's more expensive than mahogany, isn't it? (Mainland Mango Tenor)

I actually considered getting something with a pickup, but realised that I would need to get an amp as well, and I don't gig, and I wanted something with a pickup so I could play at night without disturbing others, I'm sort of an owl.

Yeah ytmr, price difference as between mainland Mahogany tenor and the Mango tenor is $40USD: $249 - $289. I still reckon a mango uke would offer you a nice alternative in tone to your spruce top, it has a gorgeous rich, sweet and mellow tone to me...but mahogany is probably the obvious choice I guess. You could maybe contemplate a Koa uke and save a little more cash, that'd give you the best of everything potentially...the warmth and mellow tones you're after, but so nicely balanced and enough treble to sweeten things up on top.

oh, and as for your nocturnal habits mate....*Hoooooooot* *Hooooooooot* same here :)

I'd doubt I have enough to get a Koa uke! They're expensive, aren't they! 50 USD is around 70 to 80 bucks more in my currency, so I guess it's pretty tight. Guess I need to check out Mango too! thanks! :D

My choice would definetly be Mahogany....no doubt about that one....much better tone for me...

mm stan, which would you choose? The Kala or the Mainland? I haven't got very large hands (15 year old girl), so I'm a little worried by people saying that Mainlands have wider necks

The answer is simple in my eyes get the mainland and put worth browns on if you want mellow

I haven't ever played a Mainland tenor, but I have a Kala soprano and two Mainland sopranos and the difference in neck width is negligible, in my opinion. I can't imagine that you would even think anything of it if you just played a Mainland without ever comparing it to a Kala. The Mainland necks might be slightly wider, but they're certainly not what you would call "REALLY wide".

I wanted something with a pickup so I could play at night without disturbing others, I'm sort of an owl.

Uh...you are aware that an acoustic uke with a pickup is going to be just as loud acoustically even when you have it plugged in to something like a headphone amp, right? I mean, if you're careful you can play a little softer but you can do that even without plugging in to an amp.

If you want to play silently you need something like an eleuke or Risa that doesn't have an acoustic soundboard at all...

John

I'll chime in and say that the mahogany with Aquilas are going to offer a balanced warm and mellow tone whether the Kala or Mainland. I have owned the Mainland 'hog tenor and liked it ok... but I covet the Kala KA-SMHT , at $210.00....these are just hard to beat ! I am very partial to Kala's being the best bang for the buck (in my opinion).

I was out shopping today and got to put my hands some nice tenors with Koa, Acacia, Monkey Pod, and Mango.... all too "thin" to my ear. I just prefer ma'hog'any, hands down!

Top Bottom