New to forum and to building

Turtle

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new here and thought I should introduce myself. I'm Turtle (AKA Paula). I've been playing uke for about a year, mostly working on learning some classical music. (My singing voice has been compared to the sound a seagull would make if you stepped on it, so I try to stay away from any vocal stuff.)

When my partner and I bought our house a little over a year ago, I convinced her to let me put a workshop in the backyard. I have some basic woodworking tools but could use more. I've decided to start learning a little about working on instruments with the idea of working up to making some.

I don't know if this is the best approach or not, but I bought a couple low end ukes on ebay that needed repairs and I am going to start by working on them. I have a Harmony soprano that needs a new bridge, a Kent baritone that needs a new saddle, and a really cool Maxitone Concert sized ukulele that has a full Mother of Toilet Seat fingerboard and headstock. It's going to take a little more work. It's missing a bridge, a nut and tuners. It also has a crack in the soundboard. The back was starting to come loose and so I went ahead and removed it. You can see where it had braces at one time, but they are all missing. This one will be more work but should make a really fun and funky uke.

I'm sure I'll be having questions as I get started.

Thanks in advance,

Turtle (Paula)

Welcome to the forum. And repairs are an excellent way to start out. From the sounds of what you've described none of the reapairs are in and of themselves going to be very difficult. Just one step at a time and they come together fairly quickly.

Top Bottom