PDA

View Full Version : losing interest in the ukulele

armytrucker77
11-22-2010, 12:58 PM
It seems I am losing interest in the ukulele...I don't practice anymore and I may pickup my ukes once a month if that....I have seemed to have lost interest in life general...I stay in bed most of the time, I don't do things with my family, and I don't even go upstairs to eat any more.. I am one sad case I guess.

SuzukHammer
11-22-2010, 01:11 PM
November used to be my depression month. Not anymore for me.

You are not alone. Go talk to a doctor . Do something.

SweetWaterBlue
11-22-2010, 01:12 PM
Trucker - these sound like the classic symptoms of serious depression. It is something that can be treated, as I have known several people and relatives who have been treated for it. Its nothing to be ashamed of, anymore than getting a cold or some other ailment is. Please think about getting some professional help for it. At least talk to someone close to you about it.

sukie
11-22-2010, 01:14 PM
Sounds like you are depressed. I used to be. I went to talk to a psychologist. It was very helpful. Maybe that might help you feel better also. I knew I was in trouble when I stopped reading books. Life sure can get better. Good Luck. PM me if you want to chat.
Sukie

ukecantdothat
11-22-2010, 01:40 PM
Well, maybe we can cheer you up, trucker! Stick around. Seriously. Stay here. Stay well. As a person who in the last year:

1) Had a stroke that could easily have been lights out for me and subsequent heart surgery in hopes to prevent the next one, and...
2) Just had surgery to fix a perforated colon that also could have been lights out

I can tell you this: Your family loves you, and your family needs you. There's tons of support here and elsewhere if you need it, so take advantage. I can't tell you how to shake your blues, other than PLAYING the blues on your uke, but this place is a good start, as music is good for the soul!

Hippie Dribble
11-22-2010, 01:47 PM
hi armytrucker

as has been said, those are classic depression symptoms brother. As someone who has suffered from depression most of my life, you can manage it mate...first stop is your local GP...a little chat with him or her...and they should be able to prescribe something to help relieve you of some of these symptoms. I have experienced exactly what you are describing...untreated...for years mate...I tried so many different kinds of medication these past twenty years, mostly without much success. It is only in the last few months I have found something which seems to be helping a lot...it's not a bad thing...don't feel guilt about it or blame yourself, depression is a very complicated issue and often, may be a genetic thing. If you have that kind of clinical depression, medication will help you enormously.

And your family will be missing you. I know what it's like to be there in body but totally disconnected emotionally. believe me mate, your family are missing you and what their dad / husband back. The fact that you have spoken of your feelings here says to me you want some help. I used to wallow in the oppressive feelings, almost enjoy them just to spite myself...but that doesn'r t work mate...I have noticed with my new medication that my general outlook has gotten less pessimistic and the old tunnel vision has widened. I've started to appreciate things differently and my family, most importantly are starting to see the real person underneath. Please take the first step trucker. Quicker you do so the quicker you can start to take some control over the situation and not feel so helpless. you're not a sad case...you're a good man who is having a tough time and just need someone in whom to confide.

And like Sukie said, please send a PM or 3...I'm a rambler, but I'm a good listener too bro.

blessings, eugene.

knadles
11-22-2010, 02:13 PM
armytrucker,

I second what others have said. Those are depression symptoms. If it helps at all, there are two positives in this. #1, there are people right here who don't even know you but who care and want to help, and #2, you've already taken a first step by posting and being willing to talk about it. I urge you to talk about it some more. We can all help you get through this. This is a tough time of year for a lot of us.

We'll worry about the uke later. Job 1 is making sure you're okay.

-Pete

mm stan
11-22-2010, 02:17 PM
Aloha ArmyTrucker77,
Staying in bed and withdrawn from life will just make things worse man....find something that peeks your intrest and get out and mingle and socialize..
Your family misses you, isnt that a reason for a change.....You need to seek some motivation and insipration...don't give up on life....Seek medical help
if it is beyond your control...Classic symptoms of chronic depression seldom cures itself...if you need someone to talk to, were all here for you man!!
Take up our offers, maybe the best way to start is with us...sometimes outsiders can help more than family and friends....Good Luck and don't give
up!!!! MM Stan..

ukecantdothat
11-22-2010, 02:48 PM
Also, I take it from your screen name you are a vet. If your symptoms are at all PTSD related, perhaps you could reach out to some of the vets here. Haolejohn and Tudorp come to mind, but there may be others here as well. This, coming from a civilian... Excuse me if I'm over-reaching here - it was just a thought.

jacothedog
11-22-2010, 02:48 PM
Put things in perspective - realize the positive things you have in life - and do try to get some help, please!!!!

afeistyfiesta
11-22-2010, 02:55 PM
Our society treats things like depression as a psychological illness when it is caused by a chemical imbalance. If you had a chemical imbalance with your thyroid, people wouldn't be telling you just to cheer up...they'd tell you to go see someone. Depression should be treated the same way. You should go talk to someone. It can really help.

haolejohn
11-22-2010, 02:56 PM
I'll be praying for ya bro.

hoosierhiver
11-22-2010, 05:01 PM
One thing that is important is to be physically active even though it might the last thing you might want to do. It has to do with the body's chemistry, lack of activity can fuel depression.

haolejohn
11-22-2010, 05:18 PM
One thing that is important is to be physically active even though it might the last thing you might want to do. It has to do with the body's chemistry, lack of activity can fuel depression.

yes it can.

ukecantdothat
11-22-2010, 05:39 PM
...people wouldn't be telling you just to cheer up...they'd tell you to go see someone. Depression should be treated the same way. You should go talk to someone. It can really help.I hope you didn't take my first post as a mere "cheer up" kind of thing, as it was only the lighter side of my intent, if you will. I apologise if it seemed that way, but if you look at the rest of it, and the subsequent post, you'll find deeper advice than that. My point there was the importance of family in light of my recent experiences. I too, have been helped with chemical treatment for depression, so I'm with you there. And Armytrucker, if you're reading this, please post again soon. As you can see, there is genuine concern here for you in this positive community, as well as love and support when you need it. Stay strong. We're all pulling for you!

RyanMFT
11-22-2010, 06:12 PM
What great words of wisdom from all. So cool to hear what you all have to say to Armytrucker. I am a licensed therapist and I work with people dealing with depression all the time. Physical activity, a medical evaluation (some medical conditions cause depression), an evaluation for medication for depression, psychotherapy, and increased support and connections with friends and family are all of great help. I have worked with hundreds of clients who begin in a very dark place and when they open themselves to the things that are helpful, I see dramatic improvements. These are my hopes for you armytrucker.....

As others have said, get help and support....reach out and things can and will change.

kalicokahliaa
11-22-2010, 06:29 PM
all i can really think of besides everything everyone else has said is to maybe try and pick up another hobby that you've always wanted to try...if you get yourself excited about something new, you'll feel refreshed, and once you feel better, you'll be picking your uke back up in no time!

ukecantdothat
11-22-2010, 07:41 PM
What great words of wisdom from all. So cool to hear what you all have to say to Armytrucker. I am a licensed therapist and I work with people dealing with depression all the time. Physical activity, a medical evaluation (some medical conditions cause depression), an evaluation for medication for depression, psychotherapy, and increased support and connections with friends and family are all of great help. I have worked with hundreds of clients who begin in a very dark place and when they open themselves to the things that are helpful, I see dramatic improvements. These are my hopes for you armytrucker.....

As others have said, get help and support....reach out and things can and will change.

Thanks Ryan, I was hoping you would weigh in. Some encouraging words from someone like you are badly needed here. This sort of thing is like the old "layers of an onion" analogy, the first layer being armytrucker's original post, which seems to be a cry for help and a good first step. So you see armytrucker, you are not without resources. It truly is an amazing community here in the underground. Please don't hesitate to take advantage. We'll be thinking about you!

Dane
11-22-2010, 07:56 PM
I used to have extremely bad depression, it comes and goes now but I've been learning how to deal with it and I am infinitely better than I was. First yes, you should just go see someone about it, no big deal, that's why people become psychologists or therapists. One major thing that I find I have to do is really think about things that I enjoy, or used to enjoy, or things that I wish I could do. well instead of wishing I just try to force myself to do them, and I have a blast! But one major thing that deters me or makes me just be like "oh I'll just stay home instead' is Video Games and TV, and when I'm distracting myself with video games or TV, I'm not having fun with EITHER ONE, so what's the point? I try now to only play games with my good friends, and only watch TV with people, otherwise it feeds my depression. ALSO, a really really really big thing in helping me with my depression was my ukulele, I had a uke before, but it was a crappy uke, didn't inspire me to play, when I upgraded though I really pulled out of it. Now I spend most of the time that I would be playing games or watching TV playing my uke instead, looking up music theory on the internet, making music and posting videos of it!

GreatGazukes
11-22-2010, 08:26 PM
Life is short. Life is a banquet, get some help and come back to the feast. Truly, this world is full of amazing experiences.

Wishing you some peace!

armytrucker77
11-22-2010, 09:08 PM
I have appreciated all the comments people left me. I have been fighting this depression for 5 or 6 years now. I am on meds and see a therapist on a regular basis. I have deployed twice and now been waiting for a year on my disability and its finally in the rating stage with the va. Doc said I cant work as of now so things hit me hard with 4 kids and a wife and not able to support them like I should. I do love the ukulele and it does bring a smile to my face. So if I can get enough money together or my disability comes in soon I am thinking of upgrading my uke to a better one. here is my choice for now either the riptide or the lanikai zebrawood series. Thanks again for all yalls support..I am hanging in there and I know things will get better.

Dane
11-22-2010, 10:15 PM
I've heard the riptides are overpriced, and that they are more of a guitar company thank an ukulele company. I think Deach did a review of one before on youtube. Found it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-tGsLU1OeM
But who knows, from mixed review the verdict is usually that you need to play one in person to tell be sure, it might be one of those hit-or-miss ukes. Dunno about the zebrawoods.

Hippie Dribble
11-22-2010, 10:22 PM
I have appreciated all the comments people left me. I have been fighting this depression for 5 or 6 years now. I am on meds and see a therapist on a regular basis. I have deployed twice and now been waiting for a year on my disability and its finally in the rating stage with the va. Doc said I cant work as of now so things hit me hard with 4 kids and a wife and not able to support them like I should. I do love the ukulele and it does bring a smile to my face. So if I can get enough money together or my disability comes in soon I am thinking of upgrading my uke to a better one. here is my choice for now either the riptide or the lanikai zebrawood series. Thanks again for all yalls support..I am hanging in there and I know things will get better.

hey armytrucker

thanks for sketching in some of the blanks for us. I just want to say again, if you ever need a shoulder to cry on mate, I'm here, as I know many others are. In the meantime, I'll be praying for you brother.

Dane
11-22-2010, 11:15 PM
Another big part in helping me was being more active physically and mentally, and to socialize more (which I still need to work on more) I need to get back into reading too, it sparks the imagination.

SuzukHammer
11-23-2010, 03:57 AM
Take a long walk in the sunshine.

Stir up the blood.

Take your uke to the hospital and play some for the kids. See if any adults want to sing along.

vitamins?

concerntrate on major scale/pentatonic/blues scales.

Tudorp
11-23-2010, 04:42 AM
Hey brother. I just now read this thread. I didn't before, because I thought it was a joke or something. My apologies for that. The fact that you even posted about your problem means that you do care, and want to break out of your slump. That is a good thing, and the start of your recovery. There are lots of us here that suffer from your ailment for various reasons, so if it is any consolation, you are not, and will never be alone in dealing with it. You know you are in a slump, and reconizing it is a huge first step. You reached out publically, that is a huge second step. The hard part is over, now just pulling yourself up is next, and you do that by remembering all here on this earth that depend on you, and enjoy having you around. I don't care how lonely one feels, the people that mean the most and care the most are there, believe me.

You might have read some of my past few months. I never feared death in my life, and still don't. For myself anyway. I know my faith and heart are in the right place with my maker, and I guess that is why I never worried about it. I am a former athlete, and veteran myself and led a VERY active lifestyle. I became disabled, and like you now, gave up on life, and didn't live, I just "exsisted". I was hollow, even when I had people around me that loved me. I faced death in the face just 3 or so short months ago. The good Lord was good enough to bring me back to conciousness just long enough to see what my life was REALLY about. My family. I got a glimpse of what my death would do to the people around me that mean the most to me. I decided if the good Lord blessed me with life, I was going to honor that and live life, if not for myself, but for the people that would miss me if I wasn't here.

I am on the recovery as we speak, and have a total new outlook on life, and greatly looking forward to the day when I can be active like I used to be. I am getting stronger and stronger each day, and because I choose life, God has promised to give me my health back as a reward of my commitment to hard work to get better. I will regain my independance, and I will see my daughter, and my grandkids grow up.

If you need to tlak, or chat some, touch base with me off line.

God Bless my friend..

T

Kanaka916
11-23-2010, 04:58 AM
Let's not take this to a personnel level . . . . I'm deleting the replies.

ukecantdothat
11-23-2010, 05:52 AM
...I am hanging in there and I know things will get better.That's the spirit! Keep playing. Music sooths the soul! :music:

Ingrate
11-23-2010, 06:22 AM
Never mind. I replied before perusing all of the thread.

I'm glad that you've addressed the issue via your doctor!

jeff

DAPuke
11-23-2010, 07:26 AM
I have appreciated all the comments people left me. I have been fighting this depression for 5 or 6 years now. I am on meds and see a therapist on a regular basis. I have deployed twice and now been waiting for a year on my disability and its finally in the rating stage with the va. Doc said I cant work as of now so things hit me hard with 4 kids and a wife and not able to support them like I should. I do love the ukulele and it does bring a smile to my face. So if I can get enough money together or my disability comes in soon I am thinking of upgrading my uke to a better one. here is my choice for now either the riptide or the lanikai zebrawood series. Thanks again for all yalls support..I am hanging in there and I know things will get better.God Bless you for your service, it affords us the privledge of being able to sit quietly and play our ukes in a free country. YOU are the MAN!
DAP

pulelehua
11-25-2010, 09:08 AM
I don't say this lightly. You live in Colorado. Look out the window. You live in an amazingly beautiful place, quite unlike most places on Earth.

Never forget to just look around. At its most basic level, this life is actually an amazing thing.

Timbuck
11-25-2010, 11:05 AM
Depression ??? ..Know it well...lived with it, and managed it, for the last 45 years...My advice is.. Join a Gym, and take up Cycling or Jogging or something like that..It works for me (I weighed 20 Stone when I started) now i'm 14 stone... I managed to gradually get off the tablets about 15 years ago, and up to now..still don't need them.

Chris Tarman
11-25-2010, 05:03 PM
I don't say this lightly. You live in Colorado. Look out the window. You live in an amazingly beautiful place, quite unlike most places on Earth.

Never forget to just look around. At its most basic level, this life is actually an amazing thing.

Yeah, but he lives in Colorado Springs. Ok, I DID say that lightly, but couldn't help myself. Armytrucker, you just moved to The Springs, didn't you? Weren't you in Texas not long ago? Or am I remembering that wrong? I seem to remember that you were in the Houston area... Actually, if you moved here recently, and haven't adjusted to the elevation, that could be contributing to your depression. High elevations (until you get used to them) cause fatigue, sleep trouble, dehydration, etc. All of those things could exacerbate any pre-existing depression symptoms. When I moved to Wyoming from South East Texas in 9th grade, it was several months before I felt decent. And I was 14 years old! I got tired easily and had nosebleeds a lot from the dry air. And then WINTER came, and I was pretty sure I was going to freeze to death walking home from school. By that spring, I had acclimated and felt much better.

armytrucker77
11-25-2010, 06:02 PM
I'm originally from Texas but moved here back in Nov 2000 and then went back to Texas last November because me and wife was having problems...She moved to Texas in July but didn't like it there so we moved back to the springs. I do have a doc appointment in the morning at the VA clinic. I have been dealing with major depressive disorder for the last 5 or 6 years and have had some close calls. Things are getting better for me but still having some problems. Thanks for all the concers from everyone.

clayton56
11-26-2010, 01:12 AM
Well it may not be that serious - you have to be the judge. Sometimes a person just needs a rest, a little time off. Forcing yourself to play uke or do anything gets old.

I used to get depressed with the onset of winter, all the gray days. No more, I live where it's sunny all the time. Makes a world of difference. Still sometimes I need a break and just veg.

I would say, take it easy if you need to, then do something different to change your perspective. But remember your ukes are there for you whenever you're ready.

Miss Michele
11-26-2010, 06:43 AM
I hope you get the help you need and get to feeling better. My thoughts are with you!

Papi
11-26-2010, 07:45 AM
It is great to see such support and encouraging words..... I, like others, have been there. Look into the following organization "DBSA" and see if they have a "group" in your area. It will be worth your time and effort.

http://www.dbsalliance.org/site/PageServer?pagename=home

buddhuu
11-28-2010, 08:53 AM
Bearing in mind armytrucker77's mention of major depressive disorder, please take care with your jests.

Many of us are familiar with the difficulties such conditions bring, either from personal experience or from that of family and friends. A well-meant joke offered with no intent but to make the recipient chuckle can occasionally be taken in a completely different spirit from that in which it was offered. Not often, but just occasionally. Clinical depression distorts the way we see things - been there, seen that distortion myself.

armytrucker77, take care. If you're having a difficult time then please do make sure you get the help you need from specialists. We support you, and we'll try to give you a lift if we can, but we ain't professionals. Don't take risks with your well-being, brother. If you feel rough, get some assistance from the people who are trained to help.

We're thinking of you.

ukecantdothat
11-28-2010, 01:10 PM
Bearing in mind armytrucker77's mention of major depressive disorder, please take care with your jests.

Many of us are familiar with the difficulties such conditions bring, either from personal experience or from that of family and friends. A well-meant joke offered with no intent but to make the recipient chuckle can occasionally be taken in a completely different spirit from that in which it was offered. Not often, but just occasionally. Clinical depression distorts the way we see things - been there, seen that distortion myself.

armytrucker77, take care. If you're having a difficult time then please do make sure you get the help you need from specialists. We support you, and we'll try to give you a lift if we can, but we ain't professionals. Don't take risks with your well-being, brother. If you feel rough, get some assistance from the people who are trained to help.

We're thinking of you.

Precisely. This is indeed no laughing matter.

ADD
11-28-2010, 08:27 PM
Ian, don't know if you have ever had a major depressive episode, but some things just aren't funny when experiencing one. I don't know how armytrucker felt about it, but it came across as cavalier with a real disregard for his feelings, rather dismissive, suggesting a true lack of awareness of the serious nature of depression.

Dane
11-28-2010, 09:59 PM
You know with twitter updates and facebook statuses of people complaining constantly and being overly dramatic to gain attention, I can see why ichadwick might respond in this way. It's hard to tell when people are truly asking for help, or if they just want those "aww you don't deserve that, you're great!" comments. That being said.... I don't think it was the best thing to say, but who am I to judge, it is the internet and I don't know the intentions of anyone by simply reading their text, the OP or ichadwick. This is why I had originally chosen not to comment.

Facebook Status Example: (Not even kidding, copy pasted, and censored)

"F*** this s***!!! I'm not worth any of this s***. What's the point anymore. I'll never get anywhere like this. I wanna give up on everything right now. I remember why I was who I was. I feel like I can't handle the world" via facebook mobile

Hippie Dribble
11-28-2010, 10:18 PM
You know with twitter updates and facebook statuses of people complaining constantly and being overly dramatic to gain attention, I can see why ichadwick might respond in this way. It's hard to tell when people are truly asking for help, or if they just want those "aww you don't deserve that, you're great!" comments. That being said.... I don't think it was the best thing to say, but who am I to judge, it is the internet and I don't know the intentions of anyone by simply reading their text, the OP or ichadwick. This is why I had originally chosen not to comment.

Facebook Status Example: (Not even kidding, copy pasted, and censored)

"F*** this s***!!! I'm not worth any of this s***. What's the point anymore. I'll never get anywhere like this. I wanna give up on everything right now. I remember why I was who I was. I feel like I can't handle the world" via facebook mobile

Fair enough Dane. What you say is fair enough. But to me, a comment like that, whether meant in jest or otherwise, is blatantly insensitive in the extreme, and cannot be let be. And in any case, armytrucker wasn't explicitly asking for help, his was a cry for help...very different things. The fact that some responses to his thread eventually coaxed some more information out of him is a good thing. I believe we must take people at face value. If that makes me naiive then I'd much rather be that way than unfeeling. Depression is not a joke...and to read ichadwicks post, you would think it was. That's not acceptable.

Dane
11-28-2010, 10:25 PM
Fair enough Dane. What you say is fair enough. But to me, a comment like that, whether meant in jest or otherwise, is blatantly insensitive in the extreme, and cannot be let be. And in any case, armytrucker wasn't explicitly asking for help, his was a cry for help...very different things. The fact that some responses to his thread eventually coaxed some more information out of him is a good thing. I believe we must take people at face value. If that makes me naiive then I'd much rather be that way than unfeeling. Depression is not a joke...and to read ichadwicks post, you would think it was. That's not acceptable.

Then to read that post above

Yes I agree, I am just that "internet-mediator" character that floats around the internet trying to solve differences. I just try to see both sides of a story and try to put myself in other peoples shoes. I knew a girl once who was practically emotion-less, and she would say very strange things that would seem very rude if you didn't know her. But she had absolutely no intentions of hurting anyone. I'm not saying that ichadwick is like this.... but here I go trying to be objective again.

mm stan
11-28-2010, 10:34 PM
I am dismayed by the comments from a couple members here, in the light of what has been said...Who are you anyways to judge a person you don't know or have'nt seen...It really ticks me off both of you making
comments like that....You know, I hardly get upset...but this is really uncalled for...If you cannot control yourselves, you shouldn't be here....We have rules here, do we have to say it any clearer to you!! What
part do you not understand....Where is your forum ettiquette anyways....The Fact is ArmyTrucker is reaching out to us for support with a serious medical issue is enough reason to offer help not nasty remarks
given..If it was you, would you like to be treated that way.....If you don't have anything nice to say, please refrain from making any negative disrespectable comments in the future..
@ArmyTrucker, I am deeply sorry for the comments made here by fellow members, If this really bothers you and you need someone to talk to,,just PM me...and I hope you much success with your doctor's in
treating your disorder...and keep playing your ukulele, it will distract your issues and bring you happiness and enjoyment... Your Friend, Stan...

Hippie Dribble
11-28-2010, 10:34 PM
Yes I agree, I am just that "internet-mediator" character that floats around the internet trying to solve differences. I just try to see both sides of a story and try to put myself in other peoples shoes. I knew a girl once who was practically emotion-less, and she would say very strange things that would seem very rude if you didn't know her. But she had absolutely no intentions of hurting anyone. I'm not saying that ichadwick is like this.... but here I go trying to be objective again.

No probs brother Dane. I don't normally react like this myself. I hate conflict of any kind. I just feel offended for member armytrucker and can't help but voice my anger in this circumstance. I think that when a person is suffering from a condition such as depression, to make light of it is damaging. Anyway, I'll move on and get over it. The point's been well and truly made.

buddhuu
11-28-2010, 10:35 PM
Thanks. All concern about the propriety or otherwise of jokes has been noted. If there's any need for further intervention your humble mods will take care of it.

The OP's thread has been diverted enough by this. It's time to get back on topic. Prolonging the digression isn't helpful.

808boy
11-29-2010, 10:54 AM
Aloha Armytrucker, My thoughts and prayers are with you Brother. Been having the same feeling like you for past 2 weeks but on a smaller scale (wife past away 11-15-10). What really helped me was UU and it's members. Don't feel like you're alone with the UU OHANA behind you. Find a way to fight this. We are all supporting you BRO.....hang tough!!..............BO.......

NatalieS
11-29-2010, 11:59 AM
Armytrucker, I'm very sorry that you're going through this hard time. Depression is common in my family and it has affected all of us deeply. I hope that through professional help and the support of your loved ones, you'll get to feeling better as soon as possible. A lot of us here are thinking about you.

Best wishes :)