What Are You Thankful For? (random drawing contest)

sukie

Aloha
UU VIP
Reaction score
With American Thanksgiving coming up, I started to think about what I am thankful for. I have to say that I am really thankful I found UU. I had been playing ukulele for about 2 months before I ran into this place. I now have friends world-wide who have the same craze for ukulele that I have. I learned a ton of stuff here -- lessons, tips, shortcuts, instruction and just plain ol' good advice. I own more ukulele t-shirts (and hoodies) than I knew were possible to have. I just got a killer ukulele. Just this year I have traveled to 5 ukulele events. I've seen old friends and met new ones. And, really, the list goes on and on.

I thought it'd be fun to see what other UUers are thankful for. It doesn't necessarily need to be ukulele-related. Just tell us what you are thankful for.

This little contest is a random-drawing contest. Not really a contest, I guess, but what else should I call it.

RULES:
1) Tell us what you are thankful for. This will get you one entry into the hat.
2) If you make a little video clip using your ukulele you will get two entires into the hat.

Wanna know what you're playing for?

* UU t-shirt -- Say Aloha to my little friend (XL)
* Aldrine's new Space Suits CD
* Microfiber polishing cloth

First name chosen gets to choose prize of his/her choice.
Second name gets the next pick.
Third name chosen gets what is left.

Contest ends Thursday, November 25th at NOON - Central Standard Time.

My little niece will pull the names out of the hat at our lighting ceremony that evening. Winners will be posted some time Friday.

HAPPY AMERICAN THANKSGIVING!

p.s. need not be only American to enter. It was just an excuse for this. :-)

I am thankful for so many things!

A beautiful family that loves me (husband and 3 kids, mother, mother in law etc)
My health, I have found myself healthier than ever before
A beautiful home, pets, food, good education
Friends both, in person and online
After all these years of wanting to learn to play an instrument, I am finally learning
and I am very grateful that my husband isn't deployed this year for the holidays....
I could go on, but I think that's enough...

Thank you Sukie for sponsoring this contest!

Last edited:
I am thankful for having good health and a family that loves me.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!!!

PS...don't forget to help those who need help!!!

Aloha UUers, I had reflected on this this past week as my life came tumbling down. My wife of 46 yrs. past away last Monday. I married her when she was 16 and I was 18. I'm thankful for the love from my family and friends, and to UU who stayed up with me during many sleepless nights. Most of all, my loving Wife who allowed me into her life. I would gladly give up all my worldly possessions to have her back. UUers, make everyday count.....ALOHA.....

I am thankful for every day of my life.......
and to UU and all the members here who brighten my day..
UU is my natural anti depressant.....
I am thankful for the ukulele and the happiness it brings me...
I am thankful for all the friends I've made here from all over the globe..
I am thankful for all my friends and realitives who help me .....
I am thankful for Sukie for making this contest.....God bless her heart...
Like fit n crafty...said I could go on and on too!!! forgive if I left anyone important out...

This year I am very thankful for having found the ukulele and all the good things it does for me.
Happy Thanksgiving to all.

I'm thankful for lots but I'll keep it simple by saying I'm thankful for my family and that I am truly blessed.

I am thankful for my amazing and beautiful wife, for doing work that I find joyful and meaningful, and for having some really wonderful new and vintage ukulele's! I am also thankful to the UU community for giving me uke friends all around the world!

Aloha UUers, I had reflected on this this past week as my life came tumbling down. My wife of 46 yrs. past away last Monday. I married her when she was 16 and I was 18. I'm thankful for the love from my family and friends, and to UU who stayed up with me during many sleepless nights. Most of all, my loving Wife who allowed me into her life. I would gladly give up all my worldly possessions to have her back. UUers, make everyday count.....ALOHA.....
808boy, I am so sorry to hear this. My heart goes out to you.

My husband and I are both unemployed and it's tough. I am thankful that we are still in a position to have a roof over our heads and enough to eat.

Wow. I had no idea so many people would post so quickly. This is wonderful. There really are a lot of things to be thankful for.

Last edited:
Mahalo to all UUers who gave me comfort on this thread and through PM's. I am very proud to be part of an amazing UU OHANA. I'm having a hard time typing (tearing up), so again thank you all, my BRUDDAHS and SISTAS.....BO...

Hello, it is so great to see what other people are thankful for.

I myself have quite a few things, and I'm sure I will leave many many things out (I can be quite forgetful with certain things)

-I am thankful for my family of course, they have always supported me no matter what I wanted to do, and they have put up with my crap all this time ;)
-also my friends, both current, past, and ex-friends, all of whom have helped me or in some way shaped who I am
-and to photography, it has brought me through many hard times
-aaaaand my ukulele and the entire community, the ukulele quite literally saved me along with all of the wonderful people I have come to know and speak with who enjoy it as much as I do
-also my pets, because they always love me no matter what I do, even my cat!!
-Oh I can't forget shoes, I have flat feet, as flat as they come, can't get any flatter, it hurts just to walk on sand barefoot, and I am always saddened when I hear of people or whole countries where people cannot even afford to have a pair of shoes.
-Any foods Indian, Italian, Mexican, Lebanese, Chinese, whatever.... I love food.
-I am also thankful that I am not rich, yet not poor, because I don't wish to be either. I am appreciative that I can get things like an ukulele and a camera, and have a computer, they are all amazing tools for communicating with the world.

Like so many the list is long but most of all I am thankful for my family, my friends and my health.

Roxhum

I am thankful for my wife (and best friend) Tania, who puts up with my eccentricities; for my parents, sister and niece; for my dogs (past and present); for all the happiness that music has brought me since that first album I bought in 7th grade (Kansas, "Point of Know Return"... I played in a band that got to open for them at a festival here in '98, so that was really cool); for specific music like Rush, The Beatles, and a few others that have meant a lot to me and shaped who I am (I don't know if that makes any sense, but there are a few bands whose very existence makes me happy- Rush being chief among them. Rush fans will get it); for my Ampeg bass amp and '77 Fender Jazz bass; for humor and all the things I think are funny, even if no one else does; for my job and the fact that I can (occasionally) make a positive impact on someone's life through the way I conduct my work; for bicycles; for my friend Ric, my "twin brother from a different mother", and the best and funnest drummer I've ever played with; for the fact that "Dancing With The Stars" will be over soon and I won't have to hide in the computer room while my wife shouts at the TV in the other room; for my vintage Martin ukes, and my Mainlands, Kalas and others, and for all the joy ukulele has brought me over the past couple of years; and for UU and all the cool people here; and for a lot of other things I am probably forgetting right now.

This is gonna sound like sucking up, but I'm REALLY thankful that I found the ukulele and UU and all the friends I've made here.

I quit smoking in June and I KNOW that the ONLY thing that kept me from lighting up was having a ukulele in my hands... and the only thing that kept the ukulele in my hands was being here.

So, thank you. I still smoke, I just haven't had one in months.

Aloha sukie, I'm thankful for you & so many of the generous, positive good people here @ UU. Mahalo no entry for me. May you & yours have a great Thanksgiving!

Top Bottom