PDA

View Full Version : What Are You Thankful For? (random drawing contest)

sukie
11-22-2010, 02:00 PM
With American Thanksgiving coming up, I started to think about what I am thankful for. I have to say that I am really thankful I found UU. I had been playing ukulele for about 2 months before I ran into this place. I now have friends world-wide who have the same craze for ukulele that I have. I learned a ton of stuff here -- lessons, tips, shortcuts, instruction and just plain ol' good advice. I own more ukulele t-shirts (and hoodies) than I knew were possible to have. I just got a killer ukulele. Just this year I have traveled to 5 ukulele events. I've seen old friends and met new ones. And, really, the list goes on and on.

I thought it'd be fun to see what other UUers are thankful for. It doesn't necessarily need to be ukulele-related. Just tell us what you are thankful for.

This little contest is a random-drawing contest. Not really a contest, I guess, but what else should I call it.

RULES:
1) Tell us what you are thankful for. This will get you one entry into the hat.
2) If you make a little video clip using your ukulele you will get two entires into the hat.

Wanna know what you're playing for?

* UU t-shirt -- Say Aloha to my little friend (XL)
* Aldrine's new Space Suits CD
* Microfiber polishing cloth

First name chosen gets to choose prize of his/her choice.
Second name gets the next pick.
Third name chosen gets what is left.

Contest ends Thursday, November 25th at NOON - Central Standard Time.

My little niece will pull the names out of the hat at our lighting ceremony that evening. Winners will be posted some time Friday.

HAPPY AMERICAN THANKSGIVING!

p.s. need not be only American to enter. It was just an excuse for this. :-)

fitncrafty
11-22-2010, 02:08 PM
I am thankful for so many things!

A beautiful family that loves me (husband and 3 kids, mother, mother in law etc)
My health, I have found myself healthier than ever before
A beautiful home, pets, food, good education
Friends both, in person and online
After all these years of wanting to learn to play an instrument, I am finally learning
and I am very grateful that my husband isn't deployed this year for the holidays....
I could go on, but I think that's enough...

Thank you Sukie for sponsoring this contest!

molokinirum
11-22-2010, 02:11 PM
I am thankful for having good health and a family that loves me.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!!!

PS...don't forget to help those who need help!!!

808boy
11-22-2010, 02:38 PM
Aloha UUers, I had reflected on this this past week as my life came tumbling down. My wife of 46 yrs. past away last Monday. I married her when she was 16 and I was 18. I'm thankful for the love from my family and friends, and to UU who stayed up with me during many sleepless nights. Most of all, my loving Wife who allowed me into her life. I would gladly give up all my worldly possessions to have her back. UUers, make everyday count.....ALOHA.....

JT_Ukes
11-22-2010, 03:02 PM
I'm thankfull for my family, my friends and for music.

oh and Sailor Jerry's :)

JT

mm stan
11-22-2010, 03:29 PM
I am thankful for every day of my life.......
and to UU and all the members here who brighten my day..
UU is my natural anti depressant.....
I am thankful for the ukulele and the happiness it brings me...
I am thankful for all the friends I've made here from all over the globe..
I am thankful for all my friends and realitives who help me .....
I am thankful for Sukie for making this contest.....God bless her heart...
Like fit n crafty...said I could go on and on too!!! forgive if I left anyone important out...

cletus
11-22-2010, 03:35 PM
This year I am very thankful for having found the ukulele and all the good things it does for me.
Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Jerlial Prophet
11-22-2010, 03:36 PM
I'm thankful for lots but I'll keep it simple by saying I'm thankful for my family and that I am truly blessed.

RyanMFT
11-22-2010, 03:39 PM
I am thankful for my amazing and beautiful wife, for doing work that I find joyful and meaningful, and for having some really wonderful new and vintage ukulele's! I am also thankful to the UU community for giving me uke friends all around the world!

itsme
11-22-2010, 03:40 PM
Aloha UUers, I had reflected on this this past week as my life came tumbling down. My wife of 46 yrs. past away last Monday. I married her when she was 16 and I was 18. I'm thankful for the love from my family and friends, and to UU who stayed up with me during many sleepless nights. Most of all, my loving Wife who allowed me into her life. I would gladly give up all my worldly possessions to have her back. UUers, make everyday count.....ALOHA.....
808boy, I am so sorry to hear this. My heart goes out to you.

My husband and I are both unemployed and it's tough. I am thankful that we are still in a position to have a roof over our heads and enough to eat.

haolejohn
11-22-2010, 03:54 PM
I am thankful for Jesus Christ who died for me. I am thankful for my smoking hot wife Nora. I am thankful for our little blessing Noelani. I am thankful for great UUers like my favorite UUer Sukie.

sukie
11-22-2010, 04:04 PM
Wow. I had no idea so many people would post so quickly. This is wonderful. There really are a lot of things to be thankful for.

808boy
11-22-2010, 04:23 PM
Mahalo to all UUers who gave me comfort on this thread and through PM's. I am very proud to be part of an amazing UU OHANA. I'm having a hard time typing (tearing up), so again thank you all, my BRUDDAHS and SISTAS.....BO...

Dane
11-22-2010, 04:35 PM
Hello, it is so great to see what other people are thankful for.

I myself have quite a few things, and I'm sure I will leave many many things out (I can be quite forgetful with certain things)

-I am thankful for my family of course, they have always supported me no matter what I wanted to do, and they have put up with my crap all this time ;)
-also my friends, both current, past, and ex-friends, all of whom have helped me or in some way shaped who I am
-and to photography, it has brought me through many hard times
-aaaaand my ukulele and the entire community, the ukulele quite literally saved me along with all of the wonderful people I have come to know and speak with who enjoy it as much as I do
-also my pets, because they always love me no matter what I do, even my cat!!
-Oh I can't forget shoes, I have flat feet, as flat as they come, can't get any flatter, it hurts just to walk on sand barefoot, and I am always saddened when I hear of people or whole countries where people cannot even afford to have a pair of shoes.
-Any foods Indian, Italian, Mexican, Lebanese, Chinese, whatever.... I love food.
-I am also thankful that I am not rich, yet not poor, because I don't wish to be either. I am appreciative that I can get things like an ukulele and a camera, and have a computer, they are all amazing tools for communicating with the world.

roxhum
11-22-2010, 04:36 PM
Like so many the list is long but most of all I am thankful for my family, my friends and my health.

Roxhum

Chris Tarman
11-22-2010, 04:39 PM
I am thankful for my wife (and best friend) Tania, who puts up with my eccentricities; for my parents, sister and niece; for my dogs (past and present); for all the happiness that music has brought me since that first album I bought in 7th grade (Kansas, "Point of Know Return"... I played in a band that got to open for them at a festival here in '98, so that was really cool); for specific music like Rush, The Beatles, and a few others that have meant a lot to me and shaped who I am (I don't know if that makes any sense, but there are a few bands whose very existence makes me happy- Rush being chief among them. Rush fans will get it); for my Ampeg bass amp and '77 Fender Jazz bass; for humor and all the things I think are funny, even if no one else does; for my job and the fact that I can (occasionally) make a positive impact on someone's life through the way I conduct my work; for bicycles; for my friend Ric, my "twin brother from a different mother", and the best and funnest drummer I've ever played with; for the fact that "Dancing With The Stars" will be over soon and I won't have to hide in the computer room while my wife shouts at the TV in the other room; for my vintage Martin ukes, and my Mainlands, Kalas and others, and for all the joy ukulele has brought me over the past couple of years; and for UU and all the cool people here; and for a lot of other things I am probably forgetting right now.

Faricelli
11-22-2010, 04:55 PM
I am thankful to have met Sukie.

UncleElvis
11-22-2010, 05:31 PM
This is gonna sound like sucking up, but I'm REALLY thankful that I found the ukulele and UU and all the friends I've made here.

I quit smoking in June and I KNOW that the ONLY thing that kept me from lighting up was having a ukulele in my hands... and the only thing that kept the ukulele in my hands was being here.

So, thank you. I still smoke, I just haven't had one in months.

Kalihonu
11-22-2010, 05:53 PM
Aloha sukie, I'm thankful for you & so many of the generous, positive good people here @ UU. Mahalo no entry for me. May you & yours have a great Thanksgiving!

Ronnie Aloha
11-22-2010, 06:01 PM
I'm thankful for my little girl always smiling at me...

ricksan66
11-22-2010, 06:42 PM
I am thankful for my health. That sounds strange for me to say, but it's true. On Sept 13, I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer. On Oct 6, I had my entire thyroid removed along with 5 cancerous lymph nodes, and a laryngeal nerve. On Nov 16, I had radioactive iodine therapy. My prognosis for a full recovery is excellent and I should be able to do everything I did before. Surgery has left me with one functioning vocal chord. My voice sounds incredibly strange to me and singing is an adventure, to say the least. Still, I am happy for my health. I am also incredibly thankful for my friends and family, and my outstanding employer. These people keep me going every day. I love them all. I am thankful for my ukes and the relaxation and hope they provide. Thanks also to the Underground. You guys are fantastic teachers, and motivators.

Manalishi
11-22-2010, 10:37 PM
I had a heart attack three years back,and am thankful to
be here,playing my ukuleles and contacting you nice folks!

Hippie Dribble
11-23-2010, 01:42 AM

hi 808boy

I just want to wish you comfort and healing as you grieve for your wife brother. You are in my prayers mate.

Sukie, I am so thankful for so many things it's hard to know where to start...

Best say the most important: family who have shown much love and patience with me through many years of problems, music which has also been a resting place and therapy for my entire life...without those two things I wouldn't be here. It's that simple.

I am also very thankful to God and His Son Jesus Christ, who pulled me out of a very dark hole 12 years ago and have filled me with hope for a future and forgiveness for the past, and my friends, at home and on the UU who have proven to me that friends are indeed the way God takes care of us.

Blessings to everyone and have a great thanksgiving holiday. :)

ichadwick
11-23-2010, 02:14 AM
I am thankful that my parents, their families, friends and neighbours, marched off to war in 1939 to fight - and eventually defeat - an evil that would have engulfed us all. I am thankful for their sacrifices, their hardships, their endurance against what must have often seemed like overwhelming odds. Without their courage and determination, none of us might be here, online, and many of us would be toiling under a brutal dictatorship with no personal freedoms. I am thankful that they stood up when someone needed to be strong, thankful that they never gave up even when the future looked blackest.

Hippie Dribble
11-23-2010, 02:24 AM
I am thankful that my parents, their families, friends and neighbours, marched off to war in 1939 to fight - and eventually defeat - an evil that would have engulfed us all. I am thankful for their sacrifices, their hardships, their endurance against what must have often seemed like overwhelming odds. Without their courage and determination, none of us might be here, online, and many of us would be toiling under a brutal dictatorship with no personal freedoms. I am thankful that they stood up when someone needed to be strong, thankful that they never gave up even when the future looked blackest.

Amen to that Ian.

bobj
11-23-2010, 03:06 AM
I am thankful for Jesus Christ who died for me. I am thankful for my smoking hot wife Nora. I am thankful for our little blessing Noelani. I am thankful for great UUers like my favorite UUer Sukie.

Thankful for JC, and a hot wife? Your cup runeth over brother. Good man.

I've got a lot to be thankful for too, but I wanna keep it simple:
I am so thankful for my amazing (and hot) wife, and I really am thankful for this whole UU group.

dnewton2
11-23-2010, 03:09 AM
There is so much to be thankful for so in no particulat order here are a few,

-This contest
-UU
-having a job so I can provide for my family
-having a healthy family
-friends
-microbrews :)

Mandarb
11-23-2010, 04:30 AM
life
family & friends
employment
fun stuff

Skitzic
11-23-2010, 05:01 AM
I am thankful for my friends. Both online and those I see in the flesh.
I am thankful my 2 dogs are too small to reach the table and eat things.
I am thankful for hard liquor.
I am thankful I have a job (or two...)
I am thankful I have the funds to feed my UAS.
And I am thankful for good food.

sukie
11-23-2010, 08:48 AM
Thankful for JC, and a hot wife? Your cup runeth over brother. Good man.

He's an excellent man. Really.

CoLmes
11-23-2010, 09:26 AM
Kenzie.
Family and Friends.
Having the support when I need it the most.
Ukulele.
UU.
My awesome teacher.

sukie
11-23-2010, 11:03 AM
Kenzie.
Family and Friends.
Having the support when I need it the most.
Ukulele.
UU.
My awesome teacher.

:agree:

No kidding!

Chap
11-23-2010, 11:10 AM
Family and friends, who stick by you even when they think you're crazy. :)

Raygf
11-23-2010, 11:19 AM
I am thankful for my wonderful wife of 27 years who just smiles and shakes her head each time a new uke shows up at the door.
I am thankful for two of the most hard working parents anyone could ever hope for or imagine possible. I learned respect for myself and others and the value of a job well done. Thanks mom and dad!
I am thankful for finding spiritual guides/teachers/friends who have made the difference in my life and in particular my teacher Rohini!
I am thankful for every opportunity afforded me and taken by me that has brought me here today.
Regards,
Ray

DAPuke
11-23-2010, 11:57 AM
Too much to list, I'll put down:family, friends and health to enjoy them.
DAP

Kitsune
11-23-2010, 01:23 PM
friends and music

papplehead
11-23-2010, 02:57 PM
I am thankful for friends, family music and life in general.

UU is awesome and im thankful for that as well!

nickman2
11-23-2010, 05:04 PM
I am thankful for the love in the world, my friends, the gift of life and music, and I am so thankful that the people of this world can live together, even though we are so different and we still have a long way to go before we are perfect

armytrucker77
11-23-2010, 05:55 PM
Well to start off..I am a veteran of Desert Storm/Desert Shield also Operation Iraqi Freedom/Enduring Freedom. I was put out the military due to mental disease. I can say that for the last 5 or 6 yrs I been dealing with Major Depressive Disorder. I take meds and off of that stuff. I can be thankful that I lived another day to see my kids and family. There have been some struggles in the past where I could have lost my life due to my stupidity. I am thankful that God has given me another day. Its hard around the holidays becuase few months ago the doc said I was unable to work due to my condition and injuries. Its hard for me to give my family things for the holidays but I can say that I am thankful I have them and we are still together another day.

Miss Michele
11-23-2010, 06:19 PM
WOW! I think you are going to need a HUGE hat! hahahaha

I'm thankful for:

My best friend in the whole world.
Finally having a stable job after being unemployed for most of the summer.
For finding my creative inner self through the ukulele.
UKULELE UNDERGROUND and it's members!

Thanks for having this contest!

Cokecan72
11-24-2010, 12:15 AM
I'm thankfull for having my wife and 4 lovely kids. Thankfull for the fact that she supported me through my guitarin day and now puts up with me strummin me uke till silly hours of the morning..
To all the members on here, and to mmstan for his effort and his kind comments on the vids i post which has encouraged me to do more..
Keep on strummin :)

ukeeku
11-24-2010, 03:02 AM
I am thankful for this past year:
My awesome dog not losing her hair this year, My wonderful wife, All the new people I have met this year (Like Sukie), that my site is doing better than last year, all the people who actually come and read ukeeku and their encouraging words and comments, my health, and my David Gill pineapple concert ukulele.

The thing that I am most thankful for this year is that I have a community like this that are as crazy about the ukulele as I am, and they don't care how "good" you are. They just love you anyways.

chris3794
11-24-2010, 07:24 AM
i'm thankful for my job because minimum wage is slowly getting me closer to buying a new uke :]

BadLands Bart
11-24-2010, 08:44 AM
I am thankful for, my ever loving wife, my good health, a loving family and friends, the ability to provide a roof over our heads and food on the table.

Coconut Willie
11-24-2010, 10:36 AM
Thankfull for:
My wife, family, good health and the founders of the UU that have made this site the best in the world!!

Happy Thanksgiving to all!!

Ukuleleblues
11-24-2010, 12:20 PM
I am thankful for my wonderful wife and for not cutting my thumb and index finger off my fretting hand earlier this year when I had a table saw accident. I was millimeters from disaster. "My thumb might be numb but I can still strumm!!!!"

luke'nlele
11-24-2010, 12:31 PM
More than anything, we are grateful that we have each other. And, that we get to celebrate that every day that we spend together.

Also, what ukeeke said..."a community like this that are as crazy about the ukulele as [we are], and they don't care how 'good' you are. They just love you anyways."

Oh, and thanks to Sukie for the chance to say so!

JimmyRoberts
11-24-2010, 01:17 PM
I'm thankful for my family and friends with which I am able to share thanksgiving festivities. I'm thankful to all the people who take the time to post videos, tabs, and lessons. I'm thankful for my ukuleles and the wealth of information which cab be found here and elsewhere. I often wonder how productive my musical endeavors would be without access to this community and other resources.

I mostly lurk here but I really am grateful for Ukulele Underground and all of you cool uke players.

Happy Thanksgiving!

sukie
11-26-2010, 12:29 PM
Winners are posted in a new thread in the contest part of the forum. Thank you all for entering. It was wonderful to read all the things that people are thankful for. Ukulele Underground consists of a most wonderful assortment of people.