FLEA Tenor Neck Uke

Uncle Leroy

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Hi all,
I just got one of these in the mail today from Music Guy Mike. I must say, he is a pleasure doing business with. I have a few questions to other Flea owners out there and a couple of general newbie questions. Please bare with me and tell me some thoughts.

How long does it take for new strings to stretch out and stay in tune?
Can friction tuners on the Flea stay in tune well?
What can I do to friction tuners if they don't stay in tune?
What are everyone's overall impressions of the Flea Tenor Uke as a beginners uke?
Thank you all so much for any help/opinions you can render.:drool:

g'day Uncle

it depends to some extent on how much you're playing, but within a week or so they should settle down...you can maybe speed it up a bit by just loosening the tuners a little and giving them a bit of a gentle stretch yourself...but they should settle down fairly quickly. from my experience with both a flea and a fluke, they hold their tune fine. You should have no probs there...I actually got a fluke posted to me from the States a while back and it was perfectly in tune when it arrived in Australia more than 10 days later!! As far as a beginners uke goes, it's pretty user friendly I reckon...wide fretboard, which'll help you especially if you've got big hands, great playability, also they're very sturdy things. And a great sound which'll keep you motivated and encouraged, unlike some of the very cheap models which even the best players can't make sound good! All in all, I'd say you've made an excellent first uke choice Uncle.

Cheers mate! Keep us updated on how your going with your playing!

Depends on the type of string, but generally in a week they're good and fully stretched. But if you work at em you can get em all stretched out in one night, but I wouldn't reccomend it for beginners, just tune it up. Check again in 10 mins, after a while you'll start to notice it falls out of tune slower and slower, till eventually it maybe never falls out! (even with intense playing I find my uke stays in tune sometimes for weeks, very strange)

And as for a beginners uke I think many people here will tell you that they're great starters. Apprently they have perfect intonation, are very resilient to damage, and their shape design motivates you to pick it up more since you can leave it out just standing up!

Hi all,
I just got one of these in the mail today from Music Guy Mike. I must say, he is a pleasure doing business with. I have a few questions to other Flea owners out there and a couple of general newbie questions. Please bare with me and tell me some thoughts.

How long does it take for new strings to stretch out and stay in tune?
Can friction tuners on the Flea stay in tune well?
What can I do to friction tuners if they don't stay in tune?
What are everyone's overall impressions of the Flea Tenor Uke as a beginners uke?
Thank you all so much for any help/opinions you can render.:drool:

Congratulations on your new tenor neck Flea. You have an excellent uke there. It's far better than what many would consider a beginner uke. I perform with my Surf Flea. John King recorded his Classical Ukulele book cd on a base model Fluke.

Friction tuners have a screw. If they seem loose you can give them a turn. Be careful not to over tighten them. I own a tenor Fluke, a solid body electric Fluke and a concert Surf Flea and have only had to tighten the tuners after changing strings.
Regards,
Ray

Aloha Uncle Leroy,
It seems that you've got the new ukulele anxiety symptoms... It just takes time to break the strings in....
I would say, I wouldn't guage on days on how long it takes to break them in, however it's how much you play them...
To quicken the process, you can tune your ukulele and then bend the string by the soundhole from side to side and re tune...
do this 3-4 times every time you pick up your ukulele for as many days it takes until your strings have stableized...
I had problems with my fluke tenor tuners not holding well even if I tighten the screws...I had to overtighten them to hold...
and then it worked...not sure if all are like that, maybe mine had defective tuners..
If you have further problems with the tuners, contact MGM and he will help you out or fix them for you...He has an excellent
service record..Jut call him and address you issues to him...
For me it was fine.....but others may say either you like them or you don't..I guess it personal preference like any other ukulele...
Good Luck!! Have fun and enjoy!! Happy Strummngs!!! MM Stan..

Top Bottom