Unwound strings for Fluke?

ichadwick

Reaction score
What strings would you suggest for a Fluke? Have to be a plain set, since wound strings will erode the frets on a Fluke. I have a gold set on them at present - Ko'olau strings perhaps? Need to restring and checked all my sets - they all have wound C and sometimes G. Time to buy more.

Suggestions?

Ian...

Koolau Gold strings come in all nylon (or whatever their material is). I had the same problem. But, as I said, Koolau does make an all nylon set of "Low G" strings that'll should help you. Got mine from MGM. I just can't do the wound string thing. If I wanted wound strings on my uke I'd have a cheap guitar! :0

I should have noted I want high-G strings for the Fluke.

I don't mind wound strings - they're a technological development that merges metal and non-metal materials for a fuller sound, while allowing the strings to be thinner. One of the problems with nylon strings is that as the notes get lower, the strings have to be so thick they can become impractical. Wound strings alleviate that. Uke players can get away with unwound strings because we only have the four.

I put Aquilas on my Fluke, big improvement over the original strings, but I'd be interested to hear what other players are using.

Top Bottom