Savarez strings

marymac

Reaction score
Hi fellow ukers -

Somehow I've become an inveterate string changer so I bought a set of the Savarez Alliance strings to try out. I'm not sure which uke to put them on since I don't know what kind of tone to expect.

I was wondering if any of you who use these (or have used them) could tell me: do they sound bright like Worth Clears? Warm like Worth Browns? Loud like Aquilas?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! - Mary

Hi fellow ukers - SNIP

I was wondering if any of you who use these (or have used them) could tell me: do they sound bright like Worth Clears? Warm like Worth Browns? Loud like Aquilas?

SO I bought a Mainland Tenor w/the Saverez "set" installed (Low G) & I'd say that they are bright but also loud. I have a Red Cedar Tenor which I believe has Worth Clears & I'd say that both are equally both bright & loud. Of course, the red cedar & the mahogany lend their own qualities to the resulting sound.

They are certainly thicker than other strings I'm used to on my other ukes.

Mary, I'm sure others will chime in but it seems when you use guitar strings on ukes like the Savarez and D'Addario T2's the sound is much brighter than normal uke specific strings.

Thanks guys. I've got a uke that I'd like to "brighten up" a bit so I'll try it on that.

Just a word of caution, you may need to open up the nut slots for these strings. I believe they were a thicker gauge than most uke specific strings.

Good point. I'm not sure I want to do that unless I have a spare nut to replace it with if I don't like them. Maybe I'll order one from StewMac before I start on this little project...

I haven't used them in a while, I'm trying out worth's for now, but I don't remember them being wider. I'll have to take a look at them.

I just got some yesterday and I put them on last night.
The "A" string is a .029 New Cristal
E string is .032 Alliance
C string is .033 Alliance
G String is a .29 Cristal Ultra High Tension

I didn't have to mess with the nut at all.

My uke came with Worth Clears, and I just took some Worth Browns off.
The Savarez are definitely my favorite so far both with sound and feel.
They seem brighter, which is on par with what Ronnie said, but they're much louder on my Red Cedar Tenor.

I bought 7 different kinds of Savarez strings to mess around with, so I might have more insight later.

Last edited:
Great info RyRod! I didn't get any of the Cristal strings, just the 540R set. Let me know what if you find any good combos as you switch things around.

D'addario vs. Savarez

I recently received my new Kamaka Tenor which came strung with Kamaka Clear strings, which are actually repackaged D'addario. I've since restrung with Savarez Alliance which are 3/4's the diameter of the D'addario. I've been using the Savarez for several years now and they are still by far my favorite ukulele strings. I've always felt that the Savarez strings are thinner than most other brands such as D'addario, Aquila, Ko'olau

Top Bottom