Kiwaya stock strings question

strumsilly

Reaction score
just got the Kiwaya ktc-1 i bought off uu marketplace. has original strings and wondering if anyone knows what these stock strings are? they are dark [black] and sound really nice, the uke has a lots of projection,, with a woodsy sound w/ a lot of sustain. really quite nice.

Can't answer your question I'm afraid, they don't seem keen on sharing much in terms of spec and history do they?

I just bought a KTC-1 from a member of another Ukulele forum. I've stuck a set of Worth browns on it, and it's singing like a canary. Wonderful instrument!

just got the Kiwaya ktc-1 i bought off uu marketplace. has original strings and wondering if anyone knows what these stock strings are? they are dark [black] and sound really nice, the uke has a lots of projection,, with a woodsy sound w/ a lot of sustain. really quite nice.

They should be Freemont med black. These are standard issue Fluorocarbons from Kiwaya. They sound really good on other brands as well with a bit of a bell like tone.
Glad you like your soprano, I repped for Kiwaya at the recent Tampa Bay uke fest and most people seemed to really like them. Awesome fit and finish on these. Doesn't look like the other sizes by Kiwaya will hit the US shore except by special order.

thanks for the info, but the ktc-1 is a CONCERT, looks almost exactly like a martin concert, same 12 fret neck, really a sweetheart.

Resurrecting older thread--but, this is my very question. Do Kiwaya ukuleles come standard with Fremont Blackline Mediums or with Hilo darks?

I ask because, literally, the internet information is split on this fact. Kiwaya does not reply to my email from Japan.

Without any presumptions (just b/c Kiwaya makes Fremonts, I think) does anyone know for a fact what is on Kiwaya ukes that have darker strings? Thanks in advance for any replies.

I may have just gotten a bad set on my KSL-02 longneck soprano - but they were horrible (pretty sure they were Fremont blacks). They sounded fine individually but chords just were really terrible - this even though the intonation was fine at the first few frets. I finally realized that the A string was about twice as loud as the other strings.

I put some clear fluorocarbon on and everything was fine. That was my first set of Fremont strings and I haven't purchased any because I figured it was typical. Enough people seem to like them though so maybe I just got a bad set.

John

I have a KTC1 that came with those black strings and maybe I was the second person out of 100 that got bad ones. I replaced them and the uke really sings now.

Thanks, Olde and frog. I have a new Kiwaya with black strings, and they aren't so hot. I have a Donaldson soprano with Fremont Blacks that is awe-inspiring. So, I am guessing--total guess here--that these on the Kiwaya are not Fremonts, but rather Hilos.

If so, I dislike Hilos (mental note) and will change out. I have a few packets of unpopned Fremont Blacklines, so I could try them as see if they're different than the Hilos? that are on there now.

Aloha, mates.

Last edited:
Yes they are as said above hilos......not Fremont or blacklines. Just a hint. Hilos are dull...fremonts are shiny? Rosere are red and violets are blue. Oh oh. I need some sleep

Last edited:
Yes they are as said above hilos......not Fremont or blacklines. Just a hint. Hilos are dull...fremonts are shiny? Rosere are red and violets are blue. Oh oh. I need some sleep

Thanks Mike. So, now I know, it's Hilos I don't like and I should go ahead and try some Fremonts some time. :)

Go get some sleep, dude.

Top Bottom