Changing nut on Kamaka-Keiki

Gmoney

Reaction score
I bought an old Kamaka-Keiki that is in excellent overall shape except that the previous owner must have put a really FAT C string as the nut slot was filed down pretty deep. (photo kind of shows). After cleaning it up (nothing drastic, just windex for general cleaning & lemon oil overall) it looks pretty good.

I put a set of Ko'olau gold soprano strings on it & all except the C string are tuning up fine & actually really sound good, BUT the C string is close to bottoming out - the top of the string is actually level w/the top of the nut. So, buzzes & the intonation is SHOT. I asked around & several friends suggested a drop of superglue in the slot to raise the string up & it helped a little but still not right.

Where can I get a replacement & how hard is it to replace? I have a local luthier, but don't want to bother him w/this if it something I can do & learn to do myself. Photo attached, though it isn't a great photo.

Attachments

• nut.jpg
    nut.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 56
I would simply fill the nut slot with thin CA glue and wood dust. Then resand the slot to the correct depth. This is a standard repair method.

Brad

Last edited:
is ca glue titebond?

Titebond now makes a CA glue. They have it in 3 or 4 thickness. There is a gel version now that works great for what you need to do. PUt tape on the finger board and peghead overlay on either side of the nut. You can even dam the slot with tape on each side and squeeze some gel CA into the slot. Wait till it hardens and file out the slot again. Worked great for me. http://www.titebond.com/IntroPageTB.ASP?UserType=1&ProdSel=WNTitebondInstantBond.asp

You could also glue a very thin shim to the bottom of the nut and refile the slots as necessary.

I think I'm about ready to file this slot back down... have been too busy to get it done & had one more question. I've been looking on stewmac.com at the Double-edge Nut Files. Is this what I need to redo the slot? And/or can I find what I need cheaper say at a local Home Depot or Lowes?

If you're trying to do it on the cheap but still do it properly you can use torch tip cleaners, available any where they sell welding supplies and equipment. Because they are flexible they are harder to use than the files and a little slower in cutting but they'll do the job fine. I used them for years before I went into production. A set with a dozen cleaners will have every size you need and cost only a few bucks.

Thank you, Chuck.

I had just found another mention of "welding tip cleaners" on another thread. Thanks for the suggestion - perhaps I'll try that first & then break down & but a real file later... I'm getting the Grizzly soprano kit for Xmas - gonna have some fun in the meantime w/this little Keiki.

And... I know there is a Moore Bettah in my future! I'm hoping to start thinking seriously about it in the new year.

Top Bottom