A good week for cheap cases

RichM

Reaction score
I recently purchased two concerts (an Ohana CK-25Z and a Mainland Mango) that I wanted to put in hard cases without breaking the bank. I've grown weary of all the zipping and velcro involved with the canvas-and-foam cases, so I really wanted a good ol' fashioned wooden case with latches. My KoAloha came with an Oahu case which is absolutely lovely, but more than I wanted to spend on a case for my more modest acquisitions. So I went ahead and purchased the two least expensive hard cases I could find, the Oscar Schmidt ($36 with free shipping on Amazon) and the Musician's Gear from Musician's Friend ($39.99 with free shipping). I was pleased to discover that both of these cases are very well made and more than sufficient for the average uke player.

Neither of these cases approaches the quality of the Oahu, which is definitely worth it's much higher price. Neither has an arched top, which I wouldn't expect at this price point. Both have a plywood shell covered with textured vinyl and an internal accessory pocket. The Oscar Schmidt has a sort of soft velour lining inside, while the MG has a longer shag thing going on. Here are the pros and cons:

Oscar Schmidt

Pro:
  • Stitched together top and bottom, for extra strength (and looks nice, too)
  • Brown color makes it stand out in a sea of black cases
  • Case appears very well-made and very strong
  • Lining appears more than adequate for protecting the uke from scuffs
  • Fit is snug, but... (see Cons)

Con:
  • Big Oscar Schmidt logo on the case is annoying
  • Big puffy stuffed-vinyl handle is almost a deal-breaker-- it limits the mobility of the handle, which is sort of jammed in one position, and doesn't feel that good in your hand
  • The dimensions of the case seem slightly off for a typical concert uke--my Ohana fits snugly, but the waist on the case does not match the waist on the uke.

Musician's Gear

Pro:
  • Case appears very well-made and very strong
  • Lining is a bit more robust than on the Schmidt, and should protect the uke well
  • Fit is darn near perfect for the various concert ukes I tried in it
  • More traditional plastic handle works and feels better

Con:
  • Only the top is stitched, while the bottom is glued
  • It's a generic black case... just like every other black case you've ever seen

In conclusion, I don't think you could go wrong with either of these cases. They aren't top of the line cases, but at their low price, I think they more than deliver the goods, and offer excellent protection. While I think the Oscar Schmidt is aesthetically a nicer case than the Musician's Gear, I think the Muscian's Gear is functionally a better case, with its better fit and more usable case handle. The best news is that for players looking for a quality latched case for under $40, both of these cases are great options.

I've heard good things about the Musician's Gear cases. I keep almost pulling the trigger on one of their guitar cases but I keep being swayed by other, usually ukulele related items...

I'm gonna look into getting a tenor MG case for my kamaka, but I'd need the measurements first. Thanks though.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I have only a Makala MK-T, but it's all I have and can't afford to replace it. Ya'll know what I mean It's a cheapie but I love it. I've wanted a hard case ever since I got it.
DAP

I purchased a cheap case for a concert I have since sold (yes it does happen).
It was a good case except for the feet on the bottom. They were not really put on well and could be felt though the lining inside the case.
After careful examination of the problem I just removed the feet. They left a small hole in the covering that was hardly noticeable.
I was afraid that they would gouge the back of the uke or possible wear through the lining and cause scratches.
As I remember the case was less than $40 and was a good value. I recommend you check the inside of the case carefully for anything that may damage your ukulele.
Before I removed the feet I put a small towel under the uke, it not only protected the uke, but I could wipe down the uke before putting it away.

Aloha RichM, Mahalo for the review on the lower priced cases. A lot of us don't have higher grade ( and priced ) ukuleles, but we love and value them anyway. Thanks again.....BO.....

In a different thread I asked about buying a "generic" case for my MainLand ukulele. The advice I received was it was safer to buy one specifically designed for your ukulele as size might be an issue. I went to the Muscian Friend's web site and did not see any specifications for the hard case. How can I know whether the case will fit my tenor MainLand.

- Jack

I imagine you could call Musician's Friend and ask for the dimensions-- they're usually pretty helpful. As far as I can tell, Musician's Gear is a Musician's Friend private brand and not available elsewhere (at least not by that name). For what it's worth (and I'm offering no guarantees) the concert case fits my concert Mainland perfectly!

In a different thread I asked about buying a "generic" case for my MainLand ukulele. The advice I received was it was safer to buy one specifically designed for your ukulele as size might be an issue.

I bought another Tweed case from the same seller that I bought my first one for... the first one didn't fit my Mainland well - the new one got here & it is a perfect fit!

So, YMMV & get the dimensions when you buy if you can't try before... glad you found a couple that worked for you & at a good price.

I tried the $26.99 (w free shipping) Guardian/Sliver Creek vintage soprano case from Musicians Friend. Nice case, worked well with my Martin style Timms sopranos and with Kamaka and Kanilea sizes after reducing the height of the middle support. If you are willing to remove 4 screws, peal covering, cut the middle foam support down a little (1/2 inch or so) with utility knife and replace, it is a great case at a great price. Of course do not expect the hygrometer to work.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Silver-Creek-Vintage-Soprano-Ukulele-Case?sku=581189

I imagine you could call Musician's Friend and ask for the dimensions-- they're usually pretty helpful. As far as I can tell, Musician's Gear is a Musician's Friend private brand and not available elsewhere (at least not by that name). For what it's worth (and I'm offering no guarantees) the concert case fits my concert Mainland perfectly!

Does thy Magnificent Mainland have a pickup?

I tried the $26.99 (w free shipping) Guardian/Sliver Creek vintage soprano case from Musicians Friend. Nice case, worked well with my Martin style Timms sopranos and with Kamaka and Kanilea sizes after reducing the height of the middle support. If you are willing to remove 4 screws, peal covering, cut the middle foam support down a little (1/2 inch or so) with utility knife and replace, it is a great case at a great price. Of course do not expect the hygrometer to work.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Silver-Creek-Vintage-Soprano-Ukulele-Case?sku=581189

When I saw this post, I checked out the link. I ordered one and received it very quickly. It is a great case for the money. It even has an arched top. My Supertone fits with no modifications. I can put the Kamaka in it, but it is a very snug fit. I will probably regret not getting two while they are on sale!
By the way, mine did not have a hygrometer.:(:(

Bill

I went ahead and ordered one of the Vintage Creek cases from musician's friend as well. I don't even have a soprano that currently needs a case but it seems like a good deal and I am sure there will be another uke coming my way soon!

I bought another Tweed case from the same seller that I bought my first one for... the first one didn't fit my Mainland well - the new one got here & it is a perfect fit!

BUT.... I just noticed that the bottom edge of the case doesn't actually close completely! You can see a clear gap where the top just doesn't come down far enough. I guess you get what you pay for. In the meantime, had MGM send me a new Ko'olau case for my KoAloha Super Concert & it fits perfectly (as you'd expect from a Ko'olau) & has a third latch on the bottom side. I suppose that the cheap case would benefit from that third latch as well. Might just have to find one I can add.

Top Bottom