Need tips, My uke got dents

zhuke

Reaction score
Hello.
My ukulele fall from about 1.5 meters and got dents :(. No big damage, still perfectly playable. No hole. Any tips to fix the cosmetic? The picture is below.

Not sure but maybe you should post this in the Luthier section.

I don't think there's going to be any fixing it...at least not any easy way.

Hello. Thanks for the comments. I'll try to post this in the luthier section.

no be proud of that dent!! It gives your uke character!

I agree. Dents and things are inevitable and are signs that the instrument actually gets played rather than just sitting in the case. I know the first one sucks, but at least it's on the back where only you can see it.

I think every uke needs some damage, I've got tons of scratches and little dents all over my headstock and everything. Look I even knocked a huge chip out when I was drilling the hole for my misi pickup, and it's not just the gloss coat, its actually a divot chip. But if it wasn't there, then who would know that I was the one that installed it? =)

ukechip.jpg

That doesn't look like anything that needs to be repaired - just come up with a great story for how it got there (even if you have to stretch the truth a little). You know, "well, I was playing this little bar and six rednecks jumped me...if it hadnah been for that uke I wouldn't be here today!" :)

John

I just accidentally put a big dent in my headstock an hour ago, and dropped my uke and got a ding behind the bridge. Maybe this thread is now jinxing me.

I just accidentally put a big dent in my headstock an hour ago, and dropped my uke and got a ding behind the bridge. Maybe this thread is now jinxing me.

Probably just one upsmanship (sp?)

You don't have to show your empathy that way :p.

Serious mode: I'm sorry, I'll share with you if I get the tips :) Hopefully it's still good to play.

That doesn't look like anything that needs to be repaired - just come up with a great story for how it got there (even if you have to stretch the truth a little). You know, "well, I was playing this little bar and six rednecks jumped me...if it hadnah been for that uke I wouldn't be here today!" :)

John

hahahah very good idea.

Hello.
My ukulele fall from about 1.5 meters and got dents :(. No big damage, still perfectly playable. No hole. Any tips to fix the cosmetic? The picture is below.

I can't tell from the pics but if it is gloss you have to lightly sand it to get the roughness off the damaged part, then feather the gloss finish around it with a wet sand of 220, 320 then 400 grit. Mask off an area. Spray it with laquer, let it dry repeat with wet sand 320 - 400 then you may need to repeat the spray. The dificult part is the mask line. I use a piece of cardbord with a hole and feather the spraying. Once you get it buld up like the priginal finish, use 600 grit wet and then buff it with a buffing wheel with fine grit.

With a Mat finish you have to match the finish, I'll use tounge oil or Tru-oil. It's not hard to do just time consuming to make it like new but it is doable. .

Top Bottom