Pick or no Pick?

hankisanerd

Reaction score
I fingers like sausages and I am a nail bitter. So, can I use a pick and if so which ones would be best?

Yes of course you CAN use a pick,but practice without one
and you will find that you have more control over your playing.
You can strum/pick harder or softer to gain/lose volume,and
try different strum techniques,as you progress,like triples and
fan strokes.All a matter of choice really;I recently met an old
gent who had been using pick for two years,and frankly getting
nowhere.He watched a group of us using our fingers,and tried
to copy us. Finally something clicked,and within an hour he was
(in his own words) 'Playing better than I ever have before!'

Do these aLaska pics stay on pretty well for fast and furious strumming? I work in the medical field and having nails too long can pierce through examination gloves :(

Do these aLaska pics stay on pretty well for fast and furious strumming? I work in the medical field and having nails too long can pierce through examination gloves :(

Medical field for me, too. I'm a noob and haven't yet strummed "fast and furious". It might take some tape to hold them on...

I know what you mean about the nails, bro, I have been able to grow mine a couple times over the years but it comes back like a bad habit. Wait a minute, it is a bad habit, DOH!

Anyway, try stumming with the index finger only, that might work for you. I do keep picks handy put I also play guitar (another bad habit :) ) and I find the very thin picks work ok, not as soft a sound but an easy way to boost the volume. Remember that you play what's inside of you and as long as that comes through you can play anyway you want.

I bought a 3-pack of these guys here:
http://www.amazon.com/Pear-Shape-Picks-Guitar-Ukulele/dp/B003KQY8DQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290877810&sr=8-1
They are thinner than the oval felt picks I've seen, and more akin top a guitar pick. Personally, after fiddling with them, I find that I don't really like to use the picks - even the felt ones just seem to loud or harsh to my tin ears.
But I also believe some players can use them to great effect. I think (could be wrong here) that Lyle Ritz utilized a pick in his playing.

No pick for me, but I am wearing out my thumb and I like the sound of fingernail picking and strumming, so I am attempting to grow some nails on my right hand.
The aLaska piks are interesting, but I'm not sure about slipping them under my nails. It sounds a bit like bamboo torture...
Also, it's just another thing to keep track of, and I'm trying to keep things simple.

I'd be curious to see how those Alaska picks work. I'm just afraid they would slip and slide around or pop off entirely. For now, it's fingernails au natural for me.

I use all of my nails, and then I use my index like a pick quite often, so if I had to use a pick it wouldn't be a big deal, I haven't in a long time, but its nice to have that option.

For what it's worth, I started playing the ukulele as a nail biter but stopped immediately (after biting most of my life) out of necessity.. It takes time to discover the correct nail length/shape for your style as you continue to grow and progress as a player BUT you will see so many advantages in return: the level of control, vibrancy in tone, warmth in pick(nail) attack... Ukulele is meant to be played with nails. That being said, I've used Alaska brand picks on my guitar and they work okay.

yeah natural nails are definitely the way to go, but picks can work. Look at this and reconsider. Aaron uses Alasaka pics and a thumb pic. Pretty awesome. Of course with his talent he could pick with a log!! Lozark http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq-betWOskc

with ukes im all about not using a pick, but if u want to mess around with one, definitely try a felt pick. Brings the uke a nice sound.

Top Bottom