G Chord

hankisanerd

Reaction score
OK I give up....How the heck does anyone do this chord. I can't do it as described.

Ok, so it isn't so much on doing the chord as they instruct, but it doesn't matter as long as you get the same result.

The biggest issue I had with chords is technique. Using the tips of my fingers instead (nails need to be short) and pressing down close to fret but not on it. Strum each string alone to see which string isn't fretted right it will help you make corrections, then strum them all when each string has a clean sound. Does that make sense?

Rgr that, Thank you.

BTW I got my 14 yr old son interested in playing. Just might have to get another ukulele.

Hello Mr Nerd, lol

Rule 1. There are no rules!, if you cant do a chord as described, use whatever fingers does the job...the "right way" as prescribed by others is great but it's your fingers that have to do the job...so....

I use my pinky finger on the E string, ring finger on the A string and middle finger on the C string...this combination works well for me and to change to a G7 chord, shazzam, lift the pinky and bang the forefinger on the E string

But as I say do what works for YOU

This chord progression parctice is a great tool, it came from A usefull training school for newbies.

Good Luck, oh and Practice, a lot, .....................a real lot!

learn chords multiple ways! Then you're less likely to find yourself stuck in some weird finger position when you want to transfer to something else. I have some stuff I've made where I have to make some very strange shapes that are harder than the normal shape, just so I can transition better.

OK I give up....How the heck does anyone do this chord. I can't do it as described.

For what it's worth - I've been playing seriously for just over a year. The other day I ran across a video I made two or three days after picking up a uke for the first time in 30-odd years, and I had written a note that the G chord was crazy hard!

Trust me, it's not - it only seems like it at first. Just keep practicing and you'll get it. fitncrafty's advice to fret the chord and strum each string, making sure you get a good sound, is spot on.

Oh also, you will develop these little "shortcuts" to chords, if you watch someone play and really scrutinize it, or if you're able to slow it down and look, often you will see them form a certain pattern AS they're making the chord shape. Often this means placing a single finger first as like an anchor so to speak, then bringing in your other fingers to finish the shape. Some shapes after a while though will just come naturally, and you won't have to think about em anymore. practice practice practice.

Here's a video I just made the might explain it better about the "shortcuts" I mentioned during a progression.

ALL good advice.

One further thing I would mention is to pay particular attention to is how the hand feels when it is in the chord formation, ie: which part of the hand is in contact with the back of the neck, whats jammed against the headstock, how the wrist is twisted, where the thumb is sitting, where the other fingers are flapping around, etc. Then replicating these sensations when you are blind testing.

Also cut the finger nails crazy short, there is not a bit of fingernail you want to have on the strings, so get 'em out of the way.

Aloha hank.
Another way is to barre the second fret with your index finger on the CEA strings and put your middle finger on the E string third fret...if that's easier for you...Happy Strummings!! MM Stan..

how are you playing it? there are so many different ways to play the g chord (first chord I learned how to play) but it was an easy transition for me b/c it is a d chord on the guitar. what was hard for me was the c chord:) J/K. Keep tryi8ng it and it'll come easily eventually.

Aloha hank.
Another way is to barre the second fret with your index finger on the CEA strings and put your middle finger on the E string third fret...if that's easier for you...Happy Strummings!! MM Stan..
Actually, it's really good to learn both ways, because they both have their uses. Which brings up the whole topic of alternate chords, which is probably a little beyond the scope of a forum titled "Ukulele Beginners" - but just to tease folks, consider this common chord progression:

G Bm C D Em Am (think "I Started a Joke" by the Bee Gees). Now, that's not a difficult chord progression, but, if you play it this way it's even easier, and sounds neater:

Gadd9 (barre all four strings at the second fret with your index finger, add the second (E) string at the third fret with your second or third finger)
Bm7 (just lift your finger off the e-string, leave the barre)
C (just lift the barre and put down your second finger on the first string, third fret)
D (put the index back down for the barre, place your pinky on the first string fifth fret)

The bridge adds the following two chords.
Em (leave the barre, place your second finger on the third fret, second string, and bend your third finger to barre the third and fourth strings at the fourth fret) - this one is probably a little difficult for beginners unless they've played other stringed instruments like guitar.
Am (lift all of your fingers and arch the index finger from a barre until just the tip is fingering the fourth string, second fret).

You basically play the whole song with your index finger either barring the second fret or hovering over it. The Gadd9 and Bm7 variation of the chords give the song a little bit bluesier feel, which really works for this song. Once you learn to "back bend" your third finger for two-string barres, this progression becomes really, really simple.

John

I think that I had finally made friends with the G chord. Another evil has raised it's head....... the B chord. For me it's an hand crapping monster.

I think that I had finally made friends with the G chord. Another evil has raised it's head....... the B chord. For me it's an hand crapping monster.

Yeah for the G chord! B/Bb's one that even after 3 months.. still suck at it.. wait till you get to E and try to hyper-extend your fingers to no avail! It's getting better B but slows me down SO much!

Yeah for the G chord! B/Bb's one that even after 3 months.. still suck at it.. wait till you get to E and try to hyper-extend your fingers to no avail! It's getting better B but slows me down SO much!
are you trying to cheer me up?

You'll get it, and then you will never remember why you thought it was so difficult, just like everything else with an instrument. I remember I worked forever on trying to chunk! Now I do it without even knowing that I wanted to do it. And yes, of the Major chords, E is probably the hardest, especially if you do it with only 2 fingers

Top Bottom