fingernails..

pastyman

Reaction score
I have had my Uke for about a year now, plus two banjoleles. I am reasonably confident playing them and trying different styles, Formby style on the banjos. But... I am having a lot of problems with my fingernails on my right hand. My index finger one has worn down to the quick. I started strumming with the middle finger then but that also started to wear down. I am surprised as I have played guitar for quite a long time and always strum using my fingers and never had this problem even with steel strings. So has anyone els had this problem or what am I doing wrong. I tend to stum with confidence and Formby stuff is pretty fast I suppose but I dont think George ever had this problem.
What do you guys think?

No , thats what I cant understand. I can strum my guitar all day without any effect on my nails, an hour on the ukes, No wound strings and my fingernail gets eaten away.

I started using a $3 product from Target. 'Hard As Nails' I think. My nails were curling and breaking. It's worked pretty good so far. Thanks Pauljmuk for the link. You guys are always showing me websites & resources I didn't know existed.

Thanks guys, Ive also just seen the other thread on this subject and it has given me some ideas. My nails have not so much broken or split, its the index that has just worn away on the right side. Must be something I am doing wrong when I strum. pity really as it was comming along nicely with rythym and syncopation ( that does'nt look right) Ive been practising the fan stroke and triple as well but my nail is now so short that I have stopped for now. anyway looks like the varnish and tissue tomorrow. let you know how I get on

Yes I have Aquillsa on all mine.
Im all tissued and nail varnished up now. hope none of my mates call round..

I think some type of product is what you need. I have tried just using a coat of clear polish and that seemed to help. Also, go get your nails done one time, you might be surprised what it can do for you.

Thanks for the tips.Well the tissue and varnish did'nt work out too well!!Seemed ok till I went into the garage to do some work on the Austin, Bent my nice new stiff nail and then managed to get it wet so had to remove it all. Might try again later. problem is that the nail on my indexfinger is now so short on one side that it neeeds building outwards. Unfortunately I am undergoing a course of Chemotherapy and my nails are in a right state with funny ridges and odd shapes. maybe they ar soft as well. Once they are long enough I suppose I can harden them up with varnish but I dont want to give up playing until then. I may have to try a false nail..

I remember reading that Chemotherapy will affect nails. Sorry to hear that dude and hope the treatment goes well

While you are going through chemo try a cheap drugstore fake nail taped on with duct tape. You can take it off when you are done playing and it won't interfere with what your nails are going through. Get healthy soon and keep strumming!

Sorry your ill and hope chemo effects get better. My wife went through breast cancer procedures last year and I know how this can be. As to you nails, just a plug for finger picks, look at this vid of Aaron Keim who uses alaska pics and thumb pick. Just goes to show how different techniques can work!! Good luck!!! Lozark http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq-betWOskc

Top Bottom