5 string ukuleles? (DGCEA?)

Dane

Reaction score
It seems like so many other instruments have versions that add a string and expand the range of the instrument. Why doesn't this happen with ukuleles? I realize some people will really not like this idea "It's not a guitar!!!" But it really makes me curious... seems like a cool idea to me, high/low D and high/low G combinations could be really cool I think.

Isn't there a small Brazilian instrument like that? And a Charango has five pairs of strings tuned like that...

The Ohana 5 string is still a prototype. It will be available to buy soon. I have taken it to every major festival this year. Lots of popele have tried it and want one. I think it is going to be in big demand.

We haven't put it on the website yet. Apart from my review, there are several other videos where it is used. Here's a couple with the great Kimo Hussey playing it.

Here's the review.

I do really like the idea of a paired low and high G, but I really meant more like how a 5 string bass just has an added string (on the opposite end however)

Dane your not forgetting 6 string tenor ukes... also known as guitalele's (hate that term) which is basicaly exactly what you describe. Koaloha do the only one I've liked the sound of, but Yamaha do a very affordable... and if its anything like other yamaha instruments it will be very well made. Kanile'a do one and I think Mele do one.

Dane your not forgetting 6 string tenor ukes... also known as guitalele's (hate that term) which is basicaly exactly what you describe. Koaloha do the only one I've liked the sound of, but Yamaha do a very affordable... and if its anything like other yamaha instruments it will be very well made. Kanile'a do one and I think Mele do one.

downsized guitars with tenor scales basically?

yep A D G C E A is one of the tunings so it runs in line with ukulele tuning, but theres a few standard tunings you can use; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ObKpWPXG9c this is an instructional vid Daniel Ho has done on the standard tunings. but like any instrument you can tuning how the heck you want within reason you could even give it a high g if you wanted.

In the UK it is still Autumn. However, it may not arrive till next month.

I can't wait to get one! What will be the best way to buy one? Does it have a model number yet?

On the double G strings, it looks like the 4th string is low G and the 5th string is high G. Can you also try stringing it the other way, with the low G on the outside... or does that interfere with the saddle/ intonation ?

–Lori

I can't wait to get one! What will be the best way to buy one? Does it have a model number yet?

On the double G strings, it looks like the 4th string is low G and the 5th string is high G. Can you also try stringing it the other way, with the low G on the outside... or does that interfere with the saddle/ intonation ?

–Lori

The best way to get one one is to order one in advance from your favourite Ohana dealer. I'll get back to you on the model number - we may change it. High G is the 5th string and low G is the 4th. It works that way round. You could change them round if you wanted to, but I think it won't sound as good, and, of course, you will have fill and recut the nut. It wouldn't affect the intonation if you changed 4th and 5th around.

Did you try it out at the Wine Country Fest? Pretty much everyone who has tried it, loves it.

The best way to get one one is to order one in advance from your favourite Ohana dealer. I'll get back to you on the model number - we may change it. High G is the 5th string and low G is the 4th. It works that way round. You could change them round if you wanted to, but I think it won't sound as good, and, of course, you will have fill and recut the nut. It wouldn't affect the intonation if you changed 4th and 5th around. Did you try it out at the Wine Country Fest? Pretty much everyone who has tried it, loves it.

I did pick it up for a minute or two at the Wine Country Ukuele Festival. I was a bit distracted though, not wanting to be away from my booth too long. We were kind of busy.:D I really like the idea behind this model, and I want to give it a good test.

–Lori

Top Bottom