Tone and Temperature

70sSanO

Reaction score
Does the weather affect tone?

It almost seems that colder weather tightens up the tone and makes it brighter with less sustain and warmer weather opens things up.

Any thoughts?

John

Does the weather affect tone?

It almost seems that colder weather tightens up the tone and makes it brighter with less sustain and warmer weather opens things up.

Any thoughts?

John

From experience I have to agree, but it could be something else that makes it seem that way? I have no idea. Heat is energy, and cold is absence of energy, so it would make sense that tone would be crisper in an environment of less energy interfering?

Aloha John,
I notice that on crisper days, my strings are a octave higher...so I just retune...no big thing....I hope it helps...MM Stan

All is revealed by the banjo uke, especially with a natural skin head. It has shown me that no, Aquila strings do not like temperature change. A drop to the fifties will knock them out a 1/2 step every time, especially the wound one (that one can go a whole step). The bridge (a Grover- new one though) looses all of it's attributes, resulting in a dull sustain (which is nearly absent anyway with a banjo uke) and the tone head will tighten. Given that it is properly tuned at seventy, when it tightens, it totally dulls the response. May as well be beating out a tune on a pillow.
The Ukulele I notice this most on is my wife's soprano. It is a solid lacewood with a spruce top, and when it gets cold, same thing. Tone goes dead. Sounds more like my cigar box uke when the temperature drops, but funny enough, the strings (also Aquila) do not go out of tune. In fact it flew from Chicago to California with no change, is played daily and I have yet to tune it after a month- weird right?.

Top Bottom