Looking for a teacher...or just a guide

Markp1964

Reaction score
Been thinking of learning the uke for a while, gave into the impulse and got myself a Lamikai pineapple uke through an online seller. I like the look but am finding that trying to teach myself with books and online videos is frustrating.

Love to find a teacher in my area-or just at least someone to show the way it's done.
I'm in Central Ohio-anyone near by? Give a shout!

I am not near by but there are some teachers that teach via skype too on here. Give it a few days and see who pipes up! Good luck. Many teach themselves.. I am fairly new and dont do well with most videos...
Good luck!

Also keep in mind that not all online YouTube videos are good for learning, while others are fantastic resources. For some of the latter, look at videos by MusicTeacher2010, WS64 (he doesn't exactly do instructional videos but many of his videos show his fingers very clearly), then there are the UU videos, of course, most of which are pretty darn good.

One of the keys to making use of videos is to learn the chord positions and what they look like from the "other side." You can't always see exactly where someone's fingers are touching down, but if you know the shapes you can often make a pretty good guess by the shape and position of the hand. This and a basic knowledge of typical musical structures (chord progressions - which chords are often used together) can also help immensely if you "sit in" with someone playing a song you don't know well.

HTH,
John

Aloha Mark,
Welcome to the UU and our forums....and the ukulele...Google Keonepax or Musicteacher2010 for awesome ukulele videos....they are on You-tube...
Have fun and enjoy!!! Happy strummings....MM Stan..

Been thinking of learning the uke for a while, gave into the impulse and got myself a Lamikai pineapple uke through an online seller. I like the look but am finding that trying to teach myself with books and online videos is frustrating.

Love to find a teacher in my area-or just at least someone to show the way it's done.
I'm in Central Ohio-anyone near by? Give a shout!

First of all, let me tell you how cool it is to see you are from Westerville, Ohio! Lived in Columbus for 20 years, and spent my last five years in Westerville! Moved to my hometown 2 years ago (still in Ohio). Anyway, you should talk to Pippin who is a member here. He lives in Columbus and has a uke group! he might know something. Good Luck!

Online lessons are great as are some of the instructional DVD's.
They both allow you to learn at your own pace.
A few lessons or class with a teacher is a great way to get started.
I really encourage to get out and find a club or group to play with.
You will be surprised at how helpful other players are and how much you can learn by watching.
The key is practice. Getting started with a few chords and a song or two can happen quickly, but some dedicated practice is the only route to take.

Welcome to UU and the ukulele playing family, remember the ukulele is a social instrument, it is made to be played with others.

Top Bottom