Custom Uke

They look like some nice ukes. Good to go local too.

Pretty pricey. Have you checked out Mya Moe Ukes? similar price range.

They look nice & it's nice to play the uke you like before you buy.

I've been to Tejon Street Music and have tried their Palm Tree ukuleles. I'm not ready to spend that much on a ukulele, I like the ones I have, but they look and sound quite nice.

John

Aloha Armytrucker77,
They are certainly beautiful ukuleles and I like the detail on the hawaiian one...and the headstock...More important factor is how they sound, that should be deciding decision...kinde expensive too but really
nice...affordable maybe not...Good Luck!!! Let us know what you decide to get...MM Stan

If you go custom, have a chit chat with the luthier to determine what exactly you want. If you've played their instruments and you like the sound, feel, and looks - it's just a matter of deciding what your preferences are and whatever aesthetics you want. The luthier will also provide you with feedback as well as his advice.

You can get some killer nice ukes for like half that price. They have a real spanish look to em though which I think is cool. But it looks to me like you'd pay $1000+ extra just for the detailing. I'm really stingy with money though, and I like ukes that are not too flashy. so I might not be the best person to talk to haha.

Those uke are beautiful, you're lucky they're close enough for you to play before purchase. I'm looking forward to see what you decide on. (you don't need the laptop:))
DAP

I saw and played a few Palm Tree ukes when I was at the '09 Denver Uke Festival. They were GORGEOUS, and sounded great (of course, I'd only been playing for about a month at that time). One nice thing about them if you live in Colorado: they're made here and the wood is dried here. So they should have fewer problems than a uke from a more humid climate (theoretically at least). I've periodically looked at their website and daydreamed about them ever since that festival.

That's a case where I think I'd definitely want to play one before buying. They are gorgeous, but the site indicates he was a guitar luthier for 25 years before switching to ukes after a trip to Hawaii. There's probably an even chance that he has simply applied his guitar techniques to building ukes - and that's not necessarily a good thing. I wouldn't be surprised if the tops are thicker than necessary and the bracing excessive, especially if he was building mostly steel-string guitars.

Of course, if you go and play them and they trip your fancy - woohoo! :)

John

That's a case where I think I'd definitely want to play one before buying. They are gorgeous, but the site indicates he was a guitar luthier for 25 years before switching to ukes after a trip to Hawaii. There's probably an even chance that he has simply applied his guitar techniques to building ukes - and that's not necessarily a good thing. I wouldn't be surprised if the tops are thicker than necessary and the bracing excessive, especially if he was building mostly steel-string guitars.

Of course, if you go and play them and they trip your fancy - woohoo! :)

John

When I played them, I didn't get the impression that they were at all "Guitary" or overly thick or heavy. I also remember seeing a husband and wife from the Denver ukulele club who had just bought a couple (or picked up their previously ordered ones, more likely) at the festival, and they were very pleased with them. And they were packing around several nice ukes. I remember that the husband had a Style 3 Martin as well. They were showing the new Palm Trees to a lot of people at the festival, to many "Oohs" and "Ahhs'.

Army, I also live in Colo. Spgs., and have played some of the more expensive ukes at John's store. They are of the Martin style: 12 frets to the body, and a similar sound. The mango tenor has been there a while, and the koa concert has also been available for some time. You might be able to talk him down in price. He told me recently he's also coming out with a line of ukes with a satin finish. They'll be more affordable. Good luck.

Army, I also live in Colo. Spgs., and have played some of the more expensive ukes at John's store. They are of the Martin style: 12 frets to the body, and a similar sound. The mango tenor has been there a while, and the koa concert has also been available for some time. You might be able to talk him down in price. He told me recently he's also coming out with a line of ukes with a satin finish. They'll be more affordable. Good luck.

Hey! Another Coloradan! Sweet! I'm on the other side of the state from all the "hot ukulele action" though. About 5 hours west of you.

Top Bottom