Ukulele, for playing heavy metal :)

bj-jensen

Reaction score
Aloha :)

Currently i'm playing in a newly started heavy metal band and ofcurse i will be playing the uke. I'm currently playing on a acustic tenor lanikai w pickup, but it seems not to work that well :( so...

i'm looking for a full electric uke but i cant find any... the strings need to be metal and the sadle/bridge needs to be like this one: http://www.aage.dk/productimage/?no=51415 the size: tenor

Where can I buy such an uke ? and is it possible for me to buy the mandoline in the picture an tune it GCEA, just like an uke ? :D

Best regards Bjørn Jensen from the cold north Denmark

They are so cool !! but so expensive, that i cant afford them :( I was thinking of using around 300 EUR :D

Last edited:
They are pretty nice, and the price too, but they dont have the rock 'n' roll look, like the others :p but i will keep the site in my mind, because they have some pretty sweet ukes :D the banjo ukes looks cool aswell ! Then i get a job I think I will spend all my money buying wierd ukes

You might be able to find a Jupiter Creek. All their solidbodies use steel strings. Unfortunately he only sells through eBay and doesn't always have any available. Also, he's in Australia so shipping is a little high.

Strapped for cash? You could always build one...I think this will be my next
http://www.michaeljking.com/electric_ukuleles.htm
Looking at about $125 in materials and some precious time for sure
Also, an Epiphone Mandobird (or any electric Mandolin) can be strung as a Uke. The Mandobird has a great shape, but with no truss rod, I hear it tends to find it's own notes...not too much of a problem with Heavy Metal. I ahve seen used ones for under $100 (sorry- I have no clue what that is in Euro- 'bout 75 maybe?)

borrow some extra money off someone and go for the Les Paul copy, they do sound good and if you want something that looks like it will fit in to a rock/metal band then thats the way to go.

I have a risa full electric ukulele I am willing to sell. It has steel strings and the bridge you want, but it's a soprano size...

I'm not that happy for soprano, but thanks for the tip :D

But first of all, thanks for all the advice... it was really helpfull ! I have thinked about it and I think I will borrow some money and go for the RISA LP Electric Ukulele :D so what do you uke players think, is it a good choice ?

Last edited:
The Risa is a fabulous choice. I have one, and it's gotta be my favourite uke of all time :)
It is pricey, but it is for a reason. It's close to as good as electric ukulele gets IMO (though it isn't the most expensive electric uke out there, check out the Sonntag archtop electric ukulele).
The action is great, the build quality is superb, and most of all the humbucker pickups truly rock!
If I was to be stuck with just 1 ukulele the rest of my life, the Risa Les Paul would be my choice.

Here is my current* collection (Risa Les Paul is top right)

P271110_214503.jpg

In fact, I used it in this video with some overdrive (after about 1:14)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDsnPdzPVHw

Note: Mine is tuned to DGBE rather than GCEA. It is capable of many sounds - I chose a relatively clean sounding overdrive in this particular video.

*my collection tends to change quite often due to UAS lol

Last edited:
It's a great choice! Check the video on their site....it has a nice clean sound and a great distortion sound. I think you'll be very happy with it.

I have orderd the risa lp tenor uke, and will recieve it within 2-3 days :D Thanks for the help guys !

Someday in the near future, the band and I will upload some videos of us playing... I hope the uke will do great ! :D

Kissing - thats a lovely collecting :D thanks for your input !

I was wondering where you ordered the risa from, all I can find online is German eBay.

Top Bottom