Ukulele idea's

Chandler

Reaction score
Hey, I'm looking for a new clear warm sounding Uke. I used to have a Ohana Concert Uke (forgot the exact model) and although I loved the feel with all my heart, I found I could pretty much mirror the timbre with my classic and a capo. I'm now looking for a clear nice sounding Uke that plays well. I honestly do not care about looks and stuff like pearl fret markers I could live without. So any advice? Brand? Saprano or Concert? Etc..

Welcome to UU Chandler. Checkout some of ukes offered on UU or ukulele uprising that offers Sam comparing different ukes.

Did you have a size or price range in mind? That would help us make appropriate suggestions.

I second that. This is a great site & there is a staggering variety of uke's out there. Definately listen to sound comparisons on the web. One $50 uke can play completely different from another brand. Even when you start paying $600 - $1,000, there is still a substantial difference in sound and playability. Have fun and let us know what you buy.

I second that. This is a great site & there is a staggering variety of uke's out there. Definately listen to sound comparisons on the web. One $50 uke can play completely different from another brand. Even when you start paying $600 - $1,000, there is still a substantial difference in sound and playability. Have fun and let us know what you buy.

I have two white label (1970's) Kamaka Pineapples, paid same price, basically the same uke, same koa wood, same strings, yet they sound very different. The size, model, wood and strings can make a big difference, yet as noted above even that being the same -different sound. Almost need to try them out if possible or at least get sound samples.

Look for the tonewood that is described as warm or mellow. Both mahogany and koa fir that description. If you want bright, look for spruce or cedar. Mango can be both, but is generally more on the mellow side. Other woods - check various sites for tonewood information. of course, this refers to solid wood tops. Laminates are all over the map and you can't really generalize about wood tone with laminates, since the plies may be made of different woods altogether. Look at the mid-range brands like Mainland, Kala, Ohana, etc.

PS. You have an unnecessary apostrophe in the thread's title: "Ukulele idea's". The apostrophe here makes it possessive, not plural. Which, of course, makes no sense. What you meant was "Ukulele ideas."

Thanks a bunch for all the suggestions.

Did you have a size or price range in mind? That would help us make appropriate suggestions.

I was thinking Concert or Soprano. For the price, sadly at the time the most I can spend is 300$.

PS. You have an unnecessary apostrophe in the thread's title: "Ukulele idea's". The apostrophe here makes it possessive, not plural. Which, of course, makes no sense. What you meant was "Ukulele ideas."

Yeah, sorry about that typo.

IMO, you have to play it before you buy it. Otherwise, be sure you can return your purchase. Ask UUers who've sold or tried to sell their 'ukes. You most always take a big hit on your investment.

Suggestions are fine, I suppose, but they're from folks who have already played/heard the instrument. Your tastes may likely differ.

Top Bottom