Mahogany Concerts?

iDavid

Reaction score
I seem to have my Koa ukes covered.

Who do you think makes the best Mahogany Uke. I am looking at Collings and Loprinzi.

I am telling myself this will be third and final keeper....lol

So, I am justifying getting a more expensive Uke.

I could just go with a Big Island or Mainland.... hmmmph

Aloha iDavid, ya I have a Kala but the Big Island or Mainland sounds like a better way to go.

If I was going to buy an all mahogany in the class your are talking about I think I would be seriously looking at the older Martins.

Both Collings and LoPrinzi are keepers. Either one would be a fine addition to anyone's collection. Donna LoPrinzi does a fine job and she is a really sweet lady. Collings makes some of the best stringed instruments in the world.

i haven't played an all mahogany loprinzi yet and I have never played a Collins. I wasn't impressed with mainland mahogany. Big Island mahogany ukes are decent but my favorite mahogany uke is...Mele, then Pono, then Big Island. I prefer darker mahogany and Meles have that.

If I was going to buy an all mahogany in the class your are talking about I think I would be seriously looking at the older Martins.

I second that! Martin concerts are kind of hard to find, but there was a nice one here in the market place a few days ago. It had some repaired cracks though, but that wouldn't hold me back from buying it. That sort of thing is to be expected in old ukuleles, and if they're professionally repaired, they're not a problem. I haven't ever played or even seen a Martin concert (in person, at least), but my two sopranos sound FANTASTIC and play like a dream.
I have two Mainland sopranos (one mahogany) that I really love, but I think they're in a different class from a Collings, Loprinzi, or vintage Martin. They're really nice for the money though. I like both of mine better than my Kalas. I would think that if you're in the market for something in the price range of a Collings or Loprinzi, a Mainland might be less uke than you're wanting. Still, they are really nice ukes, like I said before!
But you ought to try to find a Martin! I'm not biased or anything...

Played a Mainland for the first time today- I would totally buy one, but it is not my Mahogany type 3 Martin (nothing is)...In fact, when they get some cedar pineapples I will but one for sure. I have never seen nor herd a Martin concert, but if such a beast exists, I would bet it is AMAZING (although I have heard less than favorable reviews of the Martin Tenors)

How about if I narrow it down to Loprinzi vs Collings?

I sold a few guitars and have the money at the moment. If I don't spend it, it will go into the family fund, which isn't a bad thing....

I sold a few guitars and have the money at the moment. If I don't spend it, it will go into the family fund, which isn't a bad thing....

I would really like to get a loprinzi but I haven't played a collings yet. With the price tag attatched to a collings uke, they have to be pretty darn gone good or people just have extra money to burn. I just took a gamble and traded a kamaka for an ana'ole. sometimes you just got to jump out there.

what is the price difference between the collings and loprinzi?

Pretty sure MGM has a recent video up of a concert mahogany Collings on his Youtube channel, in which he says the Collings' (at least THAT one) sounds BETTER than the old Martins. From what I've read on this forum, MGM has a massive personal uke collection, and even though he's in the business of selling ukes, I think his opinion is to be valued, or at the very least considered.

I would really like to get a loprinzi but I haven't played a collings yet. With the price tag attatched to a collings uke, they have to be pretty darn gone good or people just have extra money to burn. I just took a gamble and traded a kamaka for an ana'ole. sometimes you just got to jump out there.

what is the price difference between the collings and loprinzi?

A Collings is about double the price. Loprinizi's are kind of the deal of the century. I don't really care for the satin look on the Loprinzi, so I would go high-gloss which ups the price. I like the look of the Collings satin however. (I think they stain the wood darker). Even with the high-gloss upgrade the Loprinzi is much less in cost.

A Collings is about double the price. Loprinizi's are kind of the deal of the century. I don't really care for the satin look on the Loprinzi, so I would go high-gloss which ups the price. I like the look of the Collings satin however. (I think they stain the wood darker). Even with the high-gloss upgrade the Loprinzi is much less in cost.

I may have to agree with ya on the steal of the century. Thge more I play Loprinzi's the more i want one. Go with the loprinzi and put remaining money in the family fund. then everyone wins.

If you're looking at a Collings Uke expect to pay well over $1000

LoPrinzi's are under half that...there was a lovely mahogany on FMM a couple of weeks back going for $450 with a nice tweed case...have a look there. I have a couple of LoPrinzis and are a big wrap for them..

Maybe you could consider a Black Bear also? Or a nice Pono as john mentioned earlier...so many , many choices you could make!!!

Last edited:
which Loprinzi's have you played?

I play a Loprinzi Nova concert and love it. Unique looking. Fun to play. Nice to actually hear yourself playing.

Aloha IDavid,
With those two choices, I don't know what your budget is...you didn't mention...
Are those the only two that come to your mind???? are you really serious or just asking???hmmm....

Pretty serious. I sold two guitars and a uke and have about 1300 to play with. I was also looking at solid body electrics. If I get the Loprinzi then I have plenty to spare. The funny thing is that I am very happy with that two Ukes I have. However, I would like to keep the funds in music. I have sold gear before and ended spending it on misc stuff.

I bought a few Ohanas and such, but have either sold them or they have become family Ukes.

I love great instruments, but I am also pretty cheap. I think the Loprinzi is a great deal and I am leaning in that direction.

Hi David. I have a Collings mahogany T-1 tenor and it is one of my favorite ukes. Extremely light and has a build quality that is second to none. It also has a radiused fretboard which I think is a very nice feature. I am not sure on this, but I think all Collings have radiused fretboards(could be wrong.)

Have never played a Loprizi but they appear to be beautifuly made and are a good value

g'day again David.

On FMM there is currently a Pono pro classic Mahogany tenor up for sale: $485. Not sure how locked in to buying a concert scale you are...but that's a pretty good deal. Looks a sweet uke...aaahhh, but you have so many choices with $1300...

Top Bottom