First video of noobie uke player

brucemoffatt

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've had my uke since early September so I thought I'd be brave and try to record a video of one of the tunes I've been trying to learn. I'm going to do this with my prctice sessions every couple of months to force myself to measure my progress.

I've renamed the tune from the original as I used it as the sound-strack for a video on Facebook for my old dog. If interested, search for a fan page for Rex Thewonderdog.

Anyway, here's my first ever uke video. Uke is a Makala MK-SN with Aquila strings. All comments welcome, I don't have a uke teacher except what I find in this forum. You guys rock by the way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21AnTy9L3cs

Bruce in Adelaide, South Australia

Good on ya Bruce!

That's why I did the Toy Story song contest last month; in order to force myself and measure my progress. It really helped me a lot to have done it.
Did you find it to be helpful, or stressful?

Give your uke teacher a pat on the back :)

Last edited:
Very nicely played! Keep them coming!

Aloha BruceMoffat, Well done, 2 1/2 months playing? Good for you. Keep on the good work.

Did you find it to be helpful, or stressful?

Both helpful and stressful Bob. It's amazing how much poor technique you let slip past when you aren't in the spotlight, and switching on 'record' is like switching on the spotlight. It's amazing how nervous I got in an empty room with just me and the dog and the birds and the camera. So performance pressure made me make mistakes, made me aware of my mistakes, and forced me to not make them again (almost).

Bruce

Both helpful and stressful Bob. It's amazing how much poor technique you let slip past when you aren't in the spotlight, and switching on 'record' is like switching on the spotlight. It's amazing how nervous I got in an empty room with just me and the dog and the birds and the camera. So performance pressure made me make mistakes, made me aware of my mistakes, and forced me to not make them again (almost).

Bruce

What generally happens to me when I try to record a video is that the first try is ALMOST perfect. So then I think "Well, I need to do that again and take care of that one teeny mistake". And then, about 15 takes later, I get one that was almost as good as the first one. Or the dog walks in and lays down next to me and groans. Or the phone rings. Or something. It's always something!

Hey bruce aloha nice job that sounded great , look forward to your next one.

Thanks for the nice feedback guys.

I have another set of questions and I'm not sure if dropping them into this thread is the way to go, but hey, here I go.

I'm finding a heck of a lot of distortion in the audio of the videos I'm making of the uke. I'm wondering if there is an idiot's guide to setting up a system. My gear consists of a Canon FS100 video camera with an external mic. The mic is a Rode M3, running through a Yamaha Audiogram6 mini-mixer, taking the headphones output from the mixer into the mic input of the camera. The mic is about 2 feet + from the uke. I've got Gain, Comp and Peak all set at 3.5, and small changes in each don't seem to make too much difference, well at least not to the extent of giving rise to an 'ah ha!' moment.

Anyone want to hit me with the clue stick?

Bruce in Adelaide

Hey well done, doing your first YouTube is a kind of rite of passage.

My first was recorded on the inbuilt cam/mic on my computer, and I had to sit waaaay back for the distortion to be not too bad (like 6 feet!)...so I can procrastinate about another till I have better recording equipment.

Cheers

Aloha Bruce,
That's an awesome job for 2months man...Thanks for sharing!!! Have fun and Enjoy!! Happy Strummings!! MM Stan..

Nice job.. I am a newbie too.. love watching others learn and progress. Subscribed to your channel so I can watch you progress! Thanks for sharing!

Hey Great job Bruce! Keep posting your progress. I have yet to post my second vid. DAP

I'm finding a heck of a lot of distortion in the audio of the videos I'm making of the uke. I'm wondering if there is an idiot's guide to setting up a system. My gear consists of a Canon FS100 video camera with an external mic. The mic is a Rode M3, running through a Yamaha Audiogram6 mini-mixer, taking the headphones output from the mixer into the mic input of the camera. The mic is about 2 feet + from the uke. I've got Gain, Comp and Peak all set at 3.5, and small changes in each don't seem to make too much difference, well at least not to the extent of giving rise to an 'ah ha!' moment.

Anyone want to hit me with the clue stick?

Bruce in Adelaide

Bruce, first make sure your peak light only briefly flashes on the very loudest parts of your song. Once that is set, try backing down the master knob. It controls the level going out of the headphone jack. Sounds like you are sending too much signal to the camera.

Bill

Bruce, first make sure your peak light only briefly flashes on the very loudest parts of your song. Once that is set, try backing down the master knob. It controls the level going out of the headphone jack. Sounds like you are sending too much signal to the camera.

Bill

Hi Bill, I'll try another video next weekend and see how it goes. Thanks for the help.

Bruce in Adelaide.

Top Bottom