More Police State Tactics - Look out You Tube

Last edited:
Aloha SweetWaterBlue,
It's just a way for the goverment to jusify getting away with more unlawfull acts and abuse their powers..sorry to say...as it is not defined too clearly..

I believe in 2003 Homeland Security was given the duties of Customs Enforcement.
I guess I'm missing the anger here, so you are supporting websites that steal music and sell counterfeit goods?
I skimmed the list of seized domains and they simply look like a bunch of thieves. This puts the US on the same level as the human rights abuses in China & Iran?! You do know what goes on in those countries, don't you?

I believe in 2003 Homeland Security was given the duties of Customs Enforcement.
I guess I'm missing the anger here, so you are supporting websites that steal music and sell counterfeit goods?
I skimmed the list of seized domains and they simply look like a bunch of thieves. This puts the US on the same level as the human rights abuses in China & Iran?! You do know what goes on in those countries, don't you?

I don't think it has to do with websites that steal copyrights. I think it has to do with What does this have to do with Homeland Security? I was under the impression that Homeland security was established to combat terrorisim and other threats to national security here on the homefront. Maybe I'm wrong because to tell ya the truth I don't read the news or keep up with it. I am very uninformed because news agencys suck so bad. I just pay attention to the moods of those around me.

I will say that I do not own any stolen music. All my music has been purchased and i don't own any counterfit goods. But I don't think our goverment is being threatened by websites that sell fake goods, unless they are filter sites for those that do.

Soooo.... I guess these sites will have to pay $5 dollars for a new domain name, and transfer their servers to that. Then do this again in another 5 years when they get shut down again.

And I doubt youtube will ever be shut down, if anything google (the devil) has saved youtube from being shut down. I've seen a lot of innocent youtube channels get shut down because they unintentionally violated copyright, I've probably done it too, and copyright is part of my business.

Not sure why the Homelands security act is connected with the immigration customs act....and it is so generalized and over steping it's broad use of powers enacted to them....
It clearly needs to be defined more clearly and not just misinterpted and broadly used..I agree it should be under the umbrella of ICE however..which would be the proper department for it..

Homeland security absorbed the INS that used to cover Customs. I think an argument could be made that Immigration should be under Homeland Security.

Not sure why the Homelands security act is connected with the immigration customs act....and it is so generalized and over steping it's broad use of powers enacted to them....
It clearly needs to be defined more clearly and not just misinterpted and broadly used..I agree it should be under the umbrella of ICE however..which would be the proper department for it..

I don't think it has to do with websites that steal copyrights. I think it has to do with What does this have to do with Homeland Security? I was under the impression that Homeland security was established to combat terrorisim and other threats to national security here on the homefront. Maybe I'm wrong because to tell ya the truth I don't read the news or keep up with it. I am very uninformed because news agencys suck so bad. I just pay attention to the moods of those around me.

I will say that I do not own any stolen music. All my music has been purchased and i don't own any counterfit goods. But I don't think our goverment is being threatened by websites that sell fake goods, unless they are filter sites for those that do.

Yes that was my point, not the copyright issue.

Yes that was my point, not the copyright issue.

So the stationary letterhead says "Home Land Security", who cares. If they spun-it-off, just some other department would be doing the same work. It's not like it's taking away from the duties of HLS's other rolls. Do people really think a decision to go after internet thieves is pulling away manpower and funding from anti-terrorism?! :rolleyes:

It's true that Customs got folded into Homeland Security, so I guess possibly this is some sort of Customs issue.
I have to say, I cringe at the name "Homeland Security" every time I hear it. It makes me think of "The Fatherland" and all of those connotations.
One other thing, on a slight tangent... can you even BEGIN to imagine what it must have cost when the Immigration and Naturalization Service (I.N.S.) became part of HLS and changed its name to "Immigrations Custom Enforcement" (I.C.E.)??? Every uniform, I.D. card, fleet vehicle, letterhead, badge, business card, etc, etc, etc... all because (at least this is what I IMAGINE happened) some suit at HLS thought that "ICE" was a cooler acronym than "INS".

About a year or two ago, I heard something on the news about the government cracking down on copyright infringing websites because of some law that was passed. I wasn't very surprised that the sites that I had streamed movies from and torrented off of were taken over. Although, I was surprised how in the second article, the owner of that torrent site claimed that he wasn't given any warning at all when the government seized his website. In that aspect, I don't think that it's very fair to the site owner or the regular site viewers. As for why Homeland Security has the task of doing all this, I have no clue why they're the ones doing it. You would think that they would be doing something the pertains to the physical security of our homeland.

My beef with it is not even that it is under homeland security - my beef with it is that it is preemptive and presumptive (of course, they probably had to put it under Homeland Security to get away with that). The boundary that is being crossed is that under the act these weenies can shut down any site they want - without any court of law every reviewing or approving the action.

So, when they begin politicizing the seizures - when politically unpopular sites begin getting closed for supposed copyright restrictions, the owners of those sites have to prove that they weren't violating the law. Good luck on that!

This whole thing is 180 degrees out of phase with the way our justice system is supposed to work (required by the constitution to work), where the presumption is innocence, and the government has to prove guilt in a court of law.

That presumption of guilt without review by an independent judiciary is what makes the comparison between this act and the atrocities committed under some oppresive regimes an entirely very valid and relevant comparison. It's only a matter of degree, and once that boundary is crossed, you can rest assured that the rest will follow - it is only a matter of time. Governments never voluntarily release power they've wrested from the people.

Makes me want to puke.

John

Top Bottom