A bit of help please!

agroupuk

Reaction score
Hi again folks,

I have a kala mahongany concert with pickup (came fitted) that I got a couple of weeks ago off of MGM on ebay. Its been great but I noticed something odd sounding with it this evening.

Now I think this is new to me and maybe someone can help me work out what it is.

When I strum I am getting a background sound ( a lower note or tone overlaying the strum ) that emanates from the sound 'hole' (haha quite technical)
It's quite noticable and now I can hear it its quite damn annoying.

I had a look round the inside of the uke and can see the cables from the pickup to preamp and they arent that tidy. So, the question is could it be one of these vibrating inside of the uke? could it be anything else?

Any suggestions would be much apreciated as its driving me mental.

Its when its not plugged in.

Its as if the body is vibrating or something inside is. I notice it mostly when the lowest string is played more than when any other is played (so obviously when strumming accross all strings I get it)

I shall try it plugged in when I get home from work.

Could the low string be causing the saddle to vibrate? anyway its weird and now I can hear it I can no longer 'not hear it' if you know what I mean. Something somewhere is colouring the sound argh! :(

I have Aquilars on.. nowt wrong there.

I tested it plugged in and im still getting the sound plugged in or not...

Thing is it didnt do this for the first week I had it.... so doesn't that rule out the strings somewhat?

Simply, no.

Specifically, most other string brands I would've gone another direction, maybe. Strings can always be a variable. Most that know me, know my preferences, and we'll just leave it at that.

Question: When you say lowest string, is that your C, or low g? Wound strings usually cause more problems, but with your set, anything goes.

In any case, I would swap out the strings; if not for a different brand, then at least another set.

Changing tensions may help. The nice thing about a brand like Worth is they have `ukulele strings in different tensions. As in any string change, be aware of resulting effects, especially when changing gauges and tensions.

Last edited:
Ok just to update...

The guitar shop couldnt find anything obviously wrong with the uke. He did admit he doesnt know acoustic instruments that well... he also didnt charge me anything because, well, he didnt fix it. :(

I took the uke home and loosened up the strings so they fell off the body and then had a look inside at the cabling. Its pretty tight to get in but I managed to open up the cable holder attached to the inside of the body and re-attach the cabling a little neater. While the strings were off I also tidied up the nut which had a little rough edge on a couple of the grooves.

I put her backtogether and ITS STILL BLOODY MAKING THE SOUND! argh!

I guess new strings next (next month now as I am skint till pay day)

When shaking the uke I can here something moving inside. Its not much, its very slight (compared to before I tidied the cabling back into the holder) but its there and I cannot see whats causing it.

Any other suggestions folks?

Thanks

Edd

Last edited:
Edd,

Its very difficult to asses your situation, and here's why (from where I sit):
Aside from a string swap, all of the advice given to you (which you have followed) are generally fixes for buzzing (of course, including a string swap, especially for Aquila).

Is it buzzing (which will be a mechanical fix), or tonal (which may be a surgical fix)? I may have missed something?

I 'think' its tonal.

If i apply a bit of pressure to the saddle it lessens... I need to get some other brand of strings on before I can rule the aquilars out i guess.

I keep picking it up to play and then putting it back down with a grimace. its annoying to say the least.

I need a new uke already bah!

I 'think' its tonal.

If i apply a bit of pressure to the saddle it lessens...

Okay, if you don't know if its tonal or buzzing, we could very well start over. Unfortunately, you've already taken steps to correct a problem you don't know exists (reslotting the nut will fix certain things, if in fact it needed reslotting). This throws out returning it.

Of course, depending on the brand, I've seen an `ukulele returned because of intonation problems. I didn't agree with it, as the player chose to switch to Aquila strings. Once the strings were changed back, no intonation problems. Big surprise there (being facetious).

As for taking it to someone to fix - if the guitar center couldn't fix it, could they at least have told you the problem?

Ok just to clarify.

I am new to Ukes so I am saying it's tonal only because it doesnt sound like my Bass Guitar does if the string is buzzing on a fret etc.

Does that help?

I have another set of strings (also Aquilas doh) and I will try a fresh set of strings to see if anything changes as the ones on may have 'bedded in' since purchase. My Bass/Uke tutor has asked me to bring it with me to my lesson on tuesday to see if he can work out where the sound is originating. The guitar shop did say that they had no experience with acoustic repairs so I cant blame him for not knowing.

Apologies if I am less than crystal clear about the fault, I apreciate the help, its just me not being used to how a good or bad uke should sound. If you know what I mean :)

Thanks for any help!

Edd

I'm just wondering, if he doesn't have enough experience to work on an acoustic guitar, then that means he also does crap work on electrics, only you can't tell when you turn on the overdrive? :rolleyes:

I mean, they're the frakking same, same rules apply... only it's easier to string an electric. Maybe that's all he knows how to do? It's nice to see they have some real experts there.

...he doesn't have enough experience to work on an acoustic guitar, then that means he also does crap work on electrics...

I mean, they're the frakking same, same rules apply... only it's easier to string an electric.

Errrmm... actually, they're two different animals. Setup is way different for an acoustic than for an electric. There's stuff that matters a lot when you're working on an electrics don't apply to acoustics at all. And vice-versa, of course.

Then there's playing the things. When you strum an acoustic its sound decays politely (at different lengths, depending on the guitar, of course) but an electric will feed on itself until it howls (and the rafters in your basement start shedding sawdust... true story).

Mind you, I have no sympathy for the kind of people who work in the big evil music stores *cough*guitar center*cough* and don't bother to learn at least a minimum amount about their stock, but the two types of guitars are really different.

Luckily, I don't have to worry about that anymore as I barely play my guitar at all nowadays (and I only own an acoustic).

4 strings rule!

Today, I learned something new, and not just about Deach either. :)

Before I posted that, I fact-checked with my "expert" husband. I'll duck out and give him the FAIL grade.

The guy who organizes our monthly meetups won't say guitar. He'll only say the G-word. :rock:

Errrmm... actually, they're two different animals. Setup is way different for an acoustic than for an electric. There's stuff that matters a lot when you're working on an electrics don't apply to acoustics at all. And vice-versa, of course.

Then there's playing the things. When you strum an acoustic its sound decays politely (at different lengths, depending on the guitar, of course) but an electric will feed on itself until it howls (and the rafters in your basement start shedding sawdust... true story).

Mind you, I have no sympathy for the kind of people who work in the big evil music stores *cough*guitar center*cough* and don't bother to learn at least a minimum amount about their stock, but the two types of guitars are really different.

Luckily, I don't have to worry about that anymore as I barely play my guitar at all nowadays (and I only own an acoustic).

4 strings rule!

Top Bottom