Three new koa tenors

Steve vanPelt

Reaction score
Started these in July and August. Took about a month apiece, not including dry time. Two of them have Misi Trios installed. I'm still a long way from understanding what makes these things tick, but the adjustments from uke to uke are getting smaller. They're fun to play and I find myself strumming a lot more than I used to. Maybe it's finally time to venture beyond C, F & G7. Anyway, thanks for looking,

Steve

UKE_0047.jpgUKE_0102.jpgUKE_0184.jpgUKE_0231.jpgUKE_0058.jpg

Absolutely Beautiful! That Koa is magnificent.

Those ARE GORGEOUS! Simply amazing work...

Aloha Two Dog Plucking,
They look like awesome ukuleles, thanks for sharing,,,,Have Fun and Enjoy!! "Happy strummings" MM stan..

Aloha Steve those are works of art. Some very nice craftsmenship. Thanks for sharing.

Aloha Steve, Absolutely UKAMAZING (new word?). You may have found your calling. Keep it up.... hobby turned business?.............BO..............

Magnificent! What really catches my eye (because I'm planning how to do it myself) are the beautiful segmented rosettes. Would you mind sharing how you made yours?

Gerry

Beautifully crafted instruments, Steve. Wow, I'd love to try one of 'em.

Very nice work. Those rosettes are magnificant and the binding/perfling work is fantastic. Great stuff.

What are you using for your finish?

Steve,
Absolutely beautiful. The very tasteful fine details are professionally executed.
Excellent job all around Steve.
Fred

may i just say that these are beyond beautiful. I am amazed at the finish quality. the grain in the wood is beautiful. not only do they look good but i am sure the playability is amazing as well! great job! one day i will be at your level!

Thank you all for the nice comments!

And yes, Tattwo, you need to get some koa. Bluesuke, I got the one with sapwood from Steve at curlykoa.com, the other two I got from Dustin in Hilo.

Drumgerry, post #11 in this http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?30951-Tad-s-tenor-build/page2 thread kind of shows how I do the rosettes.

Kanaka...do you guys still meet every once in a while in Elk Grove? Not too far from here.

Lexxy, not yet. About 20 people have seen them, maybe half that many played them, and the responses were pretty positive. Looks, sound, playability and all that. Better than I expected, really. Each of these have strong points and weak points and as much as I would LOVE to see someone enjoy something I built, I just wouldn't be comfortable asking for hard earned cash for an uke that comes with an asterisk (*). I learned a lot showing these around, and when I can work out the few little issues that bug the cr*p out of me, then I'll see if there is still any interest. Yours is the hardest question to answer, thanks for asking.

Dom, the finish is McFadden's (Seagrave) nitro lacquer over zpoxy and shellac. It took a long time, but I'm very happy with the result, here's a pic. Now I gotta figure out how to get this finish with about half the lacquer.
UKE_0035.jpg

Thanks again everybody for the positive feedback,
Steve

Top Bottom