Koaloha Super Concert 4 Sale! Plus Video

facemeltingukulele

Reaction score
Hey Ukulele Undeground,
I'm selling a Koaloha Super Concert (concert body with a tenor neck) I posted it on ebay at http://cgi.ebay.com/Koaloha-Super-C...ryZ16224QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
And I made a youtube vid featuring this uke at http://youtube.com/watch?v=ftMJpS3bd20
Thanks for reading and listening!

J

Wow...nice work! I have that uke....I love it. Why the extra length of string at the tuners? I have seen that before..why do people do that??

Wow...nice work! I have that uke....I love it. Why the extra length of string at the tuners? I have seen that before..why do people do that??

the reason i do it, is because im always experimenting with my strings. so if i were to cut it down, it might be too short for use with future projects... like transferring them over to my baritone uke.

the reason i do it, is because im always experimenting with my strings. so if i were to cut it down, it might be too short for use with future projects... like transferring them over to my baritone uke.

Because none of my friends play the uke, this site is very helpful. Thanks for that info nuker... I had no idea that you can re-use the strings. I just thought that the strings would develop a crimp or wind in them from the tuners rendering them useless for transfer to other ukes?? The excess sting would be after the crimp, so you can't really cut out the crimp.....:confused:

Because none of my friends play the uke, this site is very helpful. Thanks for that info nuker... I had no idea that you can re-use the strings. I just thought that the strings would develop a crimp or wind in them from the tuners rendering them useless for transfer to other ukes?? The excess sting would be after the crimp, so you can't really cut out the crimp.....:confused:

generally, you dont want to reuse strings like that. but my baritone is my experimental uke. so no strings are too cheap (hell, ive used fishing line to string it up before). those kinks can easily turn into nicks and all sorts of things. but hey if they stay together and hold their tune after stretching and dont sound like garbage when you reuse them, then who cares?

i have bundles of extra strings lying around... i keep them because in the case that i just snap a string on one of my instruments, i would opt to replace it with one of those, instead of ripping open a new pack just because of one string.

(hell, ive used fishing line to string it up before)

Haha....any luck? Sounds like something I would try to do...ha.

(hell, ive used fishing line to string it up before)

Haha....any luck? Sounds like something I would try to do...ha.

i used to have a video up on youtube that showed my baritone strung up with fishing line at first... then changed to aquilas. for comparison. i think it made a world of difference. the fishing line was just too twangy... but then again, the thickest i had was 30lb test, which isnt that thick for use as a guitar string. if i had some 40, 50, and 60# test line, then i think it would have sounded better.

but... if you know some hard core offshore fishermen, ask them if they have any "fluorocarbon leader material" in 40, 50, and 60# strengths. and get two yds of 40, one yd of 50, and one yd of 60.

worth strings are made of the same stuff. and im sure those guys wouldnt mind handing over a couple yards. ive asked around, however, on the local fishing boards, and none of the guys i know hold on to stuff in those strengths. if you get some and try it out. let us know how they sound!

i used to have a video up on youtube that showed my baritone strung up with fishing line at first... then changed to aquilas. for comparison. i think it made a world of difference. the fishing line was just too twangy... but then again, the thickest i had was 30lb test, which isnt that thick for use as a guitar string. if i had some 40, 50, and 60# test line, then i think it would have sounded better.

but... if you know some hard core offshore fishermen, ask them if they have any "fluorocarbon leader material" in 40, 50, and 60# strengths. and get two yds of 40, one yd of 50, and one yd of 60.

worth strings are made of the same stuff. and im sure those guys wouldnt mind handing over a couple yards. ive asked around, however, on the local fishing boards, and none of the guys i know hold on to stuff in those strengths. if you get some and try it out. let us know how they sound!

I go for lmb's....so the biggest # line I have laying around is about 10lb..no way that will work...

Extra lengths of strings

The extra lengths of strings wound at the top of my uke actually serve no real purpose. Its just a habit I developed for two reasons: one, I play the guitar, but I hate spending money on strings so I leave the extra lengths of strings so when I break a string I can be like the old blues players and tie the two ends together and continue to use said string. And the second reason being that I sometimes use wound strings (like those sold by National-Resophonic), for those strings if you cut them, the whole darn thing unravels so you have to keep the entire string intact. Anyways, thats my long-winded answer to the question of why I have the extra stings lengths still on my tuning pegs. :D

The extra lengths of strings wound at the top of my uke actually serve no real purpose. Its just a habit I developed for two reasons: one, I play the guitar, but I hate spending money on strings so I leave the extra lengths of strings so when I break a string I can be like the old blues players and tie the two ends together and continue to use said string. And the second reason being that I sometimes use wound strings (like those sold by National-Resophonic), for those strings if you cut them, the whole darn thing unravels so you have to keep the entire string intact. Anyways, thats my long-winded answer to the question of why I have the extra stings lengths still on my tuning pegs. :D

Wow....re-tie the broken sting and keep playing..ha..that is hard core uking...haha. Thanks for clarifying the purpose behind it....

Top Bottom