WS64 Plays "Misty"

Dominator

Reaction score
WS64 is freaking amazing. He posted a comment to my video just a few hours earlier saying he would have to try it. Well he's done way more than try it. Check out his killer version. WS is the most productive and consistent ukulele player on Youtube and maybe even anywhere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl1RgjQOiVQ

Very nice vid... Enjoyed it.

He is definitely a great player.

Just watched the video, ukulele sounds beautiful and nice crisp clean paying with a great feel. A joy to watch.

What blows me away is how quickly he put this arrangement together. He probably searched the net for an old recording of someone singing the song and in about two hours he pounded out this awesome arrangement and recorded it like he'd been playing it for years. Amazing.

Yes, that was awesome! I'm so amazed every time I see his videos how quickly he can work out songs and play them, with such intricate arrangements. He seems to put a video up almost every day, yet they are all perfect, and beautifully played.

Also, I noticed this video was played on a Kala. Great to see what the Kala is capable of in the right hands. An inspiration for me.

Sounds awesome. I just order a Kala KA-KC from Musicguymic. I was eager to get my hands on it before.. Now, I'm dying, 2 more days! Anyway, I think WS is plugged in and adding a "wet" effect. Maybe I should have gone for the the KA-KCE that he is playing (difference being the pick-ups)... Regardless I doubt it would sound that good in my hands...Great Song.

Is it the Kala Mango that WS64 is playing? Looking on Musicguymic's store, that's the one that looks most like it - the KA-MCE. Just going by the look of the body and the tuning pegs... just curious.

I think your right, maybe Mango instead of Koa...It doesn't have the intense grain patterns like some of the Mango Ukes, but I think on the Kala, the tuning pegs are the give away. They are a lighter color on the Mango.

Thanks all!

But...
Dom: it took me three hours, not two! ;)
But I did not need an old recording (btw, THE recording of this song is by Wes Montgomery), I know the song well enough to play it by ear. Actually I used to play it on the piano before, in a different key. But your key worked so well, I could play most parts of the verse already in your key when I listened (and played at the same time) to your version the first time.
I still like Dom's version more though. I never have that jazzy feeling in my recordings, it more like... Someone at the cosmos once said, "more like the eagles would have played it."

My Kala is the Mango, but without pick (you hear me breathing, don't you?!)
But since at my recordings audio and video come in from different devices (Zoom H2/Canon IXUS 800IS (in US called canon Powershot 850IS)) and I have to do some post-processing I usually add some reverb and enhance the dynamics a bit.

Last edited:
WS64, do you have any CDs (or mp3s on iTunes) of your performances for sale? I would buy them and tell all my friends (outside of UU!).

WS64, do you have any CDs (or mp3s on iTunes) of your performances for sale? I would buy them and tell all my friends (outside of UU!).

Nope. Noone ever thought it was worth singing me up for a recording contract.

There are some MP3s available though.
First a band project with Earlyguard, we recorded a CD last year and it is available for downloading here

And some of my songs are available on Ukeland

WS64 is freaking amazing. He posted a comment to my video just a few hours earlier saying he would have to try it. Well he's done way more than try it. Check out his killer version. WS is the most productive and consistent ukulele player on Youtube and maybe even anywhere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl1RgjQOiVQ
You got that right, "productive and consistent". What I really enjoy about all his versions is he know when to embellish without over doing it. He never goes into some long drawn out solo where you lose the song. He plays them with enthusiasm and feeling and keeps true to the melody. Absolutely beautiful. (I just wish he'd smile once.....)

misty

What I really enjoy about all his versions is he know when to embellish without over doing it. He never goes into some long drawn out solo where you lose the song. He plays them with enthusiasm and feeling and keeps true to the melody.

i couldnt agree more. this is a beautiful arrangement.

OK 14twelve...get to tabbing!:)

Nope. Noone ever thought it was worth singing me up for a recording contract.

First a band project with Earlyguard, we recorded a CD last year and it is available for downloading here

Thank you for sharing the mp3s WS64! I will definitely enjoy them!

I love this arrangement and I'm trying to learn it from the video. Whilst learning this arrangement from WS64 I've discovered that less is more, timing is crucial and that as others have suggested the placement of a note and a single strum, keeps the beauty of the melody flowing. I'm enjoying learning this version of Misty:)

Thanks for posting this. Things are really noisy at home right now to listen to them, so I downloaded some to listen to later.

BTW, there's a broken link for Forest Gump on ukeland.com.

Also, too bad that mein Deutsch ist sehr schlecht... I can't make out much more than a few words at ukupedia.de.

Top Bottom