Ws64 from youtube

wafflicious

Reaction score
I like all his songs and would like to learn songs like that. Not songs with chords that I need to sing to and not just total picking. I've been playing for a couple months now and can play a watered down version of gently weeps..... so my question is where can I learn some? thanks.

I like all his songs and would like to learn songs like that. Not songs with chords that I need to sing to and not just total picking. I've been playing for a couple months now and can play a watered down version of gently weeps..... so my question is where can I learn some? thanks.

There are several threads on "chord soloing" which you can search for. That is what you are describing. There are also several books mentioned in those threads and Aldrine even has a DVD out that teaches you how to do it. What I like to do is just start with the chords of a song and begin picking out the melody around them. It takes some time, but its not to hard to do. For most songs most of the melody is in the chords, so you usually only have to fill in the blanks.

I have been a fan of WS64 and his playing style for quite sometime. To me he captures the essence of ukulele with a combination of finger picking and strumming in his songs. He is one of the influences that got me interested in playing ukulele. Unfortunately he doesn't have tabs available for his songs.

Sweetwater, I didn't know that the style was called chord soloing. Thanks for posting that and the links.

Ohh I like your signature! How do I edit mine?
Click on Settings >My Settings >My Profile >Edit Signature; pretty much self explanatory from that point on.

Wafflicious, some would also refer to that style as fingerstyle, which is what I also like to play.

One of the first fingerpicking songs I learned was Dominator's basic arrangement of 'God Rest ye Merry Gentlemen'. Great practice piece for a beginner.
http://dominator.ukeland.com/Images/godrest.txt

Tom Guy of Bluegrass Ukes does some great fingerstyle arrangements that aren't terribly difficult. I have tabbed a few of them and you can find them here:
http://www.ukudaily.com/three-low-g-arrangements-by-tom-guy

Top Bottom