Big challenge, changing a soundboard

Sven

Reaction score
My poor mate Robin (BaronK) slipped yesterday on the ice and fell on his Argapa cedar top. He's devastated, and I'm sort of sad too. This was an early and much loved soprano. Check it out.

Before the fall:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7_MDzjQqBE

And after:
http://argapa.blogspot.com/2010/11/first-argapa-casualty.html

I haven't seen it yet but Robin says the sides, back and neck seem intact. So I'll attempt a new cedar soundboard. Maybe with an ebony nail guard, he was half way through the wood when he fell on it.

Sven

Poor uke. Hopefully salvageable. Feel your pain. Robin might consider a case while not playing the uke after it's repaired.

Sven why dont you make it a bit stronger next time..maybe with a replaceable soundboard like this.
aluminum_uke.jpg

Oh boy. Sorry to hear about this unfortunate incident. I played this ukulele at UWC. It was a good one indeed.
Good luck with the repair, Sven.

Your glue joints are good - I can see where the cedar has torn, but the glue held over the braces and the bridge plate...

ETA that was a very nice bit of cedar too, by the look of it.

I'm considering letting the fretboard sit where it is, and wiggle the new soundboard in under it. The only place where the new soundboard won't be is then between the fretboard and the neck block. I don't know. Yet. I guess I'll wing it like I always do. I could reuse the original braces, but if I glued new ones in first, between the kerfed lining, I could mak sure the body kept its' shape during gluing. But that would mean a different approach than it was before. And maybe a slightly less resonating top.

There ought to be a forum on the interwebz full of people who knew a bunch about ukulele construction! That would help.

Wait a minute...

I'd have thought the box would be a fair bit weaker if the neck block didn't contact the neck block.

How's the neck attached? With the luxury of not having to worry about damaging the soundboard, could you get the fretboard tongue to separate from the cedar and take the neck off without too much cosmetic issue?

The body repair would be so much easier then..

Ah Rob, the neck block is indeed connected to the neck block. They're like this (holds one finger in air)... But the neck is glued, screwed and the back goes over the heel, so the neck stays. And the underside of the fretboard is clean now, so it will hold the new soundboard. So it will be the same minus the few sq centimeters of neck block top area. Oh the ordeals of writing in english... I don't know if you get what I mean. You really should learn swedish, it's an up and coming world language.

"Oh the ordeals of writing in english"
Sven! you have more command of the English language..And speak it and write it better than most other English speaking guy's..like wot' I am..and that "Awsome" "Wow" "Cool" lot on the otherside of the pond.:D:D

If you've seen Robin, aka BaronK, you would agree that refusing to perform this operation is not an option... I feel like a small delicate instrument in a badly padded gigbag when in his threatening presence.

If only I could get the time to finish the three piccolos on the bench, and get going with this soundboard.

Sven

Yes that is indeed Robin. I was about to sand the soundboard to thickness tomorrow morning, but got stuck in Tbilisi due to fog over the airport this morning. Hopefully I'm going home tomorrow via Istanbul, and then I can get some actual work done!

This idea with a day hobby is just in the way of building toy guitars you know...

Sven, BUILDER OF UKES (and international star architect against his will)

Top Bottom