Uke Leash - my review

bazmaz

Reaction score
It sure does look like a great product. Thanks for posting the review.

As I say - it just works - very simple but genius design

Nice review, thanks.
If and when I want a uke strap, this will be the option #1A.

Great Review Paul! I wholeheartedly agree with you... I have made a habit out of disconnecting the uke anytime I put it down, so I never have that oops! However, it's benefit is that it wont just fall to the floor if you let go...
I have found it great to steady the neck while change chords especially when they move further down the neck.

the chord changing is SOOOO much easier!

Great review. All you did was use the product as directed and report. Too many reviews go about rethinking the idea altogether.

I hook my Uke Leash to my belt, just above my back left pocket.

BTW, the One Step Beyond and Close To Me covers linked on your site are great fun.

I never thought I needed a strap. Until I tried Lori's product. It really does work! I'm not the world's best player, but as Paul said it makes complex chord changes so much easier. Our uke club will be playing in a Christmas parade soon and it'll come in real handy then. It's especially good for glossy finishes. It's one of those things you need to try to believe how well it works.

Uke Leash Strap?

We've always thought a strap was a good idea. Mandolin straps work very nicely. We include a single turned wooden strap button at the bottom on all our ukes. I think the strap configuration that gives the best balance on a uke is with a button at the bottom and a tie on to the headstock.

This looks like a great product - I love to see a slick innovation. Still, I would prefer a full support strap - maybe because I'm used to the hands free aspect. One of Lori's innovations, however, would be a great modification to the full strap. That is the quick release on the headstock.

With a full strap, slipping the slit in the end over your button is a quick operation. It is tying on to the headstock that takes some time. If you have a lot of ukes, you end up buying a strap for each, and leaving it on permanently. When you're not actually playing, the straps flop around and get in the way.

I would love to have one strap and leave nothing more than the headstock tie-on attached to each uke. Have you ever thought of making one of those, Lori? I'll be the first in line if you ever offer one.

p.s: great review, paul!

Last edited:
I would love to have one strap and leave nothing more than the headstock tie-on attached to each uke. Have you ever thought of making one of those, Lori? I'll be the first in line if you ever offer one.

That is already one of the features of the Uke Leash. There is a quick-release clip near the headstock. You can disconnect one instrument and clip on another in a matter of seconds, leaving the main strap in place. All you need do is purchase the headstock portion of the strap (sold separately I suppose) for as many ukes as you have. Go ahead, post an order via ukeleash.com!

Last edited:

She does sell an attachment designed to turn the half-strap into a full strap. I expect it also wouldn't be difficult to MacGyver an attachment of one's own. Many ingenious things can be done with a looped piece of string.

Great review. Thanks. This looks like the perfect solution for slippery uke's and awkward chord changes. And I AM that person who would sit down & forget I had it on. Best to just completely disconnect. Lori's done a great job.

Can you be a UK supplier Paul I need one for my gig coming up?

southcoastukes - Lori's strap does disconnect as mentioned above. She also offers an adapter to allow it to clip to a bottom strap button and create a real full strap.

The real selling point is that this is a support - its amazing how it works - it basically leaves your fretting hand totally free to concentrate on playing rather than holding.

@raecarter - speak to Lori! Looking at her site though, her shipping rates are very reasonable. Mine arrived very well labelled and packed

southcoastukes - Lori's strap does discoonnect as mentioned above. She also offers an adapter to allow it to clip to a bottom strap button and create a real full strap.

The real selling point is that this is a support - its amazing how it works - it basically leaves your fretting hand totally free to concentrate on playing rather than holding.

@raecarter - speak to Lori! Looking at her site though, her shipping rates are very reasonable. Mine arrived very well labelled and packed

Would it be weird as a full strap? I will message her

I'm pretty new to the uke, but I found that supporting a uke while trying to fret the chords was a PITA! I tried one of those necklace/hook things that classical guitarists use but it only helped marginally. Then I stumbled On Lori's Uke Leash and that was it!

The product is well made, brilliant in simplicity and makes fretboard work MUCH easier! I find I can change chords faster and more clearly when I use the Leash. No scratching your uke, no drilling holes for mounting pegs, etc.

Plus, Lori is awesome to work with. She answers her emails personally and quickly, and overall is great to work with. I really hope her product takes off for her.

I guess I'm overly enthused about a strap, but it really did solve a lot of problems for me and makes playing that much more enjoyable.

Would it be weird as a full strap? I will message her

No, it isn't weird at all. I use a uke leash without the full strap on one of my ukes that lacks a strap button. But I bought a second uke leash with the attachment to convert to a full strap for my tenor that has a pickup (so I can attach it to the pickup input). It works wonderfully. And I much prefer it to the mandolin tie style I strap I had been using with this uke. Lori's leash has the clip on the headstock attachment and that feels much more secure to me than a simple tie.

I highly recommend both styles of the uke leash, as I use both of them whenever I don't want to play seated.

Top Bottom