Ukulele Thanksgiving

knadles

Reaction score
Had a small Thanksgiving dinner at my house the other day. One of my oldest friends stopped by on his way to a family gathering and brought his 12-ish-year-old son and his 9-year-old nephew. His son plays guitar, so I let him fool around on my Telecaster while the rest of us talked.

After a little while, I brought out one of my ukes and handed it to him. He was fascinated. I showed him some of the chords and explained that they were very similar to guitar fingerings. He tried playing a few songs, and then the second ukulele came out and we had a small jam session.

The younger boy...he had played a little piano in the past, but had no experience with guitar or anything like it. He was being shy and it took a few minutes of coaxing, but before long I showed him how to play a C and a G7, and he strummed those chords while I soloed (quite badly) over them.

By the time my friend left, neither of the kids wanted to put the ukuleles down. I had played them some Jake and some Iz, and the 12-year-old was working on convincing his dad to get him a uke.

It was pretty cool, and a very happy Thanksgiving. Just thought I'd share!

-Pete

Had a small Thanksgiving dinner at my house the other day. One of my oldest friends stopped by on his way to a family gathering and brought his 12-ish-year-old son and his 9-year-old nephew. His son plays guitar, so I let him fool around on my Telecaster while the rest of us talked.

After a little while, I brought out one of my ukes and handed it to him. He was fascinated. I showed him some of the chords and explained that they were very similar to guitar fingerings. He tried playing a few songs, and then the second ukulele came out and we had a small jam session.

The younger boy...he had played a little piano in the past, but had no experience with guitar or anything like it. He was being shy and it took a few minutes of coaxing, but before long I showed him how to play a C and a G7, and he strummed those chords while I soloed (quite badly) over them.

By the time my friend left, neither of the kids wanted to put the ukuleles down. I had played them some Jake and some Iz, and the 12-year-old was working on convincing his dad to get him a uke.

It was pretty cool, and a very happy Thanksgiving. Just thought I'd share!

-Pete

Great story. It's wonderful when you can introduce a new interest to someone else. Especially if it is a ukulele! Keep up the good work.

–Lori

Sounds like maybe there'll be an uke under the Christmas tree this year? :)

That's kind of what I'm thinking. I sent the dad some info on the Kalas, just to avoid him having to start from scratch. We'll see... ;)

Aloha UUers, Similar scenario here. After getting over that this the first family gathering without my Wife( very, very tough), after dinner, my 2 daughters, my 2 granddaughters, my grandson, my son inlaw and I got our ukes out and jammed. Made me very happy. Made Thanksgiving a little easier for me. Now I fear X-mas and New Years eve, which is our wedding anniversary. One day at a time.........BO..........

Wow that's a great story! I guess that's what they meant by "spread the aloha". I guess uke just has this special charm to it that makes it so fascinating and so addictive!

Top Bottom