Ukulele, airplanes & humidifiers?!

Gmoney

Reaction score
We've had a couple of threads about flying w/your uke, & I've done so domestically a couple of times this fall, but I wondered if anyone got asked to remove a humidifier or questioned about electronics from the xray?

I have taken my oasis humidifier & tuner out of my uke bag & placed the humidifier along w/any other liquids in the required 1 quart zip-lock bag & the tuner in my computer bag.

Anybody else have problems/issues for recent travels?

I've taken my King concert, which has a Mi-Si pickup, on trips to Oahu and Las Vegas this year. I kept a Planet Waves humidifier in the case and never got any questions about it. I've taken ukes on planes many times now, with humidifier in the case each time, and only once has the uke been inspected when I entered the boarding gate area. I think that time it was passed through some sort of scanner and returned to me without incident.

I have had my humidifier questioned before. It is the Herco kind. Pretty much the TSA person got it out and looked at it and let me go on my way. Probably happened 5-10 times out of 40- 50 flights. I ussually get some sort of comment about the uke as well, good stuff.

Never had any probs from TSA. I just leave it in the case.

I've never had an issue, even with the metal clip that my oasis uses to attach to the case.

Of a larger concern to me is carrying my uke as an additional item beyond the allowed baggage. Howlin Hobbit has a copy of the TSA agreement to allow a musical instrument in addition to your maximum allowed carry-on items. This, of course, is subject to individual airline compliance.

Singapore Air is pretty touchy about allowing musical instruments in the cabin, specifically violins. It appears they've had some issues with certain cultures making claims of damage to their expensive instruments in the overhead. Don't be surprised if they ask you to sign a release of liability.

Top Bottom