Storing Ukes

wafflicious

Reaction score
I am wondering how you store your uke.

A snug fitting gigbag came with my new kala. I bought a stand to go with it. Normally, should I leave it out on the stand, or in the gigbag?

Welcome to UU!
It depends on your climate, and your indoor heating and air conditioning. I keep my ukuleles in their gig bags or cases (and sometimes boxes). That is mostly because I live in tight quarters, so I am concerned about damage from walk-by accidents, and my climate has wide humidity swings. If your ukulele is a laminate, it probably can be left out on the stand. If it is solid wood, it would be more prone to changes in humidity, and possible cracking.

–Lori

Aloha Wafflisious,
Lori gave some excellent suggestions...but we don't know where you live and if you have extreme temperture conditions..
If you do Lori is spot on.....I live in Hawaii and don't experience those conditions but rather still keep it in my case..just in
case of damage.(pun)plus if left out it gets dusty...how hard is it to put in and out of the case...even those uke hooks don't
appeal for me either...sorry guys...MM Stan..
And for gig bags, they're light, but I prefer the cases for maximum protection...:)

Last edited:
then there's the train of thought ... if it is left out you will play it more!

"Walk-by accidents"? I have to confess to being a plain, old-fashioned klutz, especially after a few libations, which often accompany my playing. :eek:

And let's not forget small kids and pets, especially a small kid chasing a cat or dog around.

When not being played it's in the case, safe and sound for me.

Easy...they stay in their cases unless being played. Never worry about "accidents"

Had a new Kamaka six string on a stand behind the couch where it should have been safe. Cleaning crew came in and nicked it. Now they all go in cases before cleaning crew comes through. MB always goes back in case.

Aloha, gig bags, hard cases with stands whenever not being played. Much more careful when playing now. Tryed to kill a spider one night while playing, banged up the concert not bad but a reminder. Be kind to spiders, be good to your ukes. Anyway thats what I do. Have a great week.

Well, I don't have a stand but I should invest in one :D. I play my uke all the time, so it usually stays out of its case. But, you do have to think of the climate in your area.

-Kalyn :D

I know it goes against all common sense, but I have mine hanging on the wall in my office. That way the main one is easy to grab and play, and the others provide wall decor.

Just a quick addition, I received two temp/humdity gauges from Amazon today and did a quick test on humidity in case and out. I live near the Pacific ocean (within 1/2 mile) and typically humidity is not an issue. I can leave my ukes out almost year round with no issue regarding humidity. However, we have a cold spell (well for So. Cal. anyways) going on now with moderate to high winds. The humidity in the house with heaters on is between 35-39%. I threw one of the gauges in a hard case that had a Herco clay humidifier in it for a few days and it registered almost 5% higher. Moral of the story, its probably better to keep your ukes in cases if there is even a slight question on humidity. If your standing humidity level is lower than mine then you should consider multiple humidifiers in your case.

Top Bottom