New Strings & Nice Weekend

Mandarb

Reaction score
I put D'Addario J71s on my Kamaka last week. I took off from work on Thursday and Friday for Thanksgiving so I had a nice extended weekend without too much to do other than kick back and relax (a nice change from my normal schedule). I was able to play my Kamaka a lot over the weekend and I really like the sound/feel of the D'Addarios. I was not too fond of the Aquilas on the Kamaka but I do like them on my Mainland. I just wanted to share that I had a nice weekend relaxing and playing my uke. I hope everyone else had a nice weekend as well. Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of the aquila strings either. I don't like the feel of them and they're too bright for me. I'm a dark and mellow kinda guy.

Call me crazy but I love Aquilas on my KoAloha tenor. I actually dig wound strings so I love the tone I get out of the low G set.

Aquilas are way too bright on my Pineapple Sunday though. I'm currently using Worth Brown strongs on those and I love them.

That's great you got some quality uke time in!
DAP

Interesting. I've only compared the Aquilas to Martins and Kala Reds, but, to my ears at least, the Aquilas are the least bright of the three. I like 'em on my tenor, though I feel the low G has a tendency to overwhelm the other three strings a bit.... I'm guessing the Worth Browns are extra warm sounding?

Hi Mandarb, thanks for posting, glad you had a nice weekend

Just on the string issue, it's funny cause I was just talking with a member last night about the same thing. I just got my concert Kamaka yesterday, strung with aquilas...and I said the same thing to my friend. They sound too harsh at the high end, way too bright. I was wondering what would be another option to try on it...I was thinking maybe worth browns would do the job

Interesting. I've only compared the Aquilas to Martins and Kala Reds, but, to my ears at least, the Aquilas are the least bright of the three. I like 'em on my tenor, though I feel the low G has a tendency to overwhelm the other three strings a bit.... I'm guessing the Worth Browns are extra warm sounding?

I think low G in general has a tendency to overwhelm the other 3 strings. I've found that wound or non-wound doesn't change that for me, and I much prefer the tone of a wound string. It sounds more lively. All the Worths I've tried (normal & high tension) have a very plunky sounding low G. They sound like a dead string to me.

I wouldn't call the Worth Browns extremely mellow. I would just say they are more mellow than the clears. :)

That's great you got some quality uke time in!
DAP

Thanks - it was a great weekend "bonding" with my Kamaka.

Did not try Worth Browns. See below.

Hi Mandarb, thanks for posting, glad you had a nice weekend

Just on the string issue, it's funny cause I was just talking with a member last night about the same thing. I just got my concert Kamaka yesterday, strung with aquilas...and I said the same thing to my friend. They sound too harsh at the high end, way too bright. I was wondering what would be another option to try on it...I was thinking maybe worth browns would do the job

I was going to try Worth Browns but a couple of things happened. First, I put on a couple of them and they were buzzing like crazy. Second, I got to the E string and it was a clear not a brown (just packaged incorrectly - Elderly sent out a new set). I figured it was not meant to be - maybe I will try them again some time in the future. I purchased a few different brands a little over a month ago to see what I liked best - I was digging the D'Addarios.

Top Bottom