Preventing Scratching the Fingerboard

unclescotty

Reaction score
Hi,

I just got my Kala Tenor Lacewood Uke and am all psyched to start learning this lovely instrument. Wanting to keep it pretty, I've clipped my finger nails short, and am wondering how/where do you strum the instrument so that you don't scratch the finger board or top? Is this even possible to avoid?

Thanks, Scott

I strum above the sound hole at around the 17-18th fret. I've got some very light scratches on the soundboard but really nothing to be concerned about. Just to put you at ease, my ukes are Koa and made in Hawai'i. BTW, Welcome to the Underground!

Aloha Unclescotty,
Welcome to the UU and our forums...and the ukulele.....congrats on the new kala ukulele....Kanaka916 gave you some excellent advice, I play about there too...I've seen some others put on a clear plastic sticking
sheet for protection.....but I prefer the scratches...it's my badge of honor......Happy Strummings!!! "Have fun and enjoy your ukulele and the forums...MM Stan..
For me I trim my nails short on my left hand for finger positioning on the neck not to gouge the fingerboard, but that is so minor and if your play plenty you're bound to get wear on there....no big thing...

Last edited:
I've clipped my finger nails short,
Thanks, Scott

Hi Scott, just a side note. I've been seeing many posts saying "do not clip your nails, file them". A quick tip from one newbie to another. good luck,
DAP

Nice choice on the new 'uke. Kala makes some good instruments and that lacewood tenor is just gorgeous.

I don't worry about scratches or marks on mine, but I suppose any technique that allows you to get the tone you're looking for without touching the top should work. Just have fun whichever way you decide to approach it. :cool:

Ever seen Willie Nelson's guitar?... :)

A lot of it depends on style - some folks will scratch the dickens out of their soundboards and others won't. Both are enjoying their ukes.

I do use Renaissance wax on my ukuleles - this is a really good wax that I've been using on all my instruments for several years. It's fairly hard and will help defend against the dreaded fingernail of death, but doesn't seem to build up into a sound deadening mess and I've never seen it yellow. I was turned on to it by the guy who made some of my Native American flutes. It's pretty expensive, but the little tin will last for years (i've still got a third of mine left, it's probably four years old, and I use it on the flutes, several guitars and basses, and now the ukes).

One word to the wise - if you use this stuff - put it on a SMALL area at a time. This is a paste wax, but if you let it dry to a haze like some waxes recommend you'll have a devil of a time getting it buffed out. Yes, that's experience speaking!

John

welcome to UU Scotty. You will find camaraderie and answers to ALL your questions here. :) I don't have finger guards on my ukes either, and don't seem to have any problem, but I saw a Ukemail from Aldrine one time in which he said he had clear pick guards on his ukes. not sure what they are, and he tried to show them, but they were so clear you couldn't distinguish them from the wood finish. Good enough for him, should be good enough for us, I guess. Enjoy your Kala!! I have two of them and love them. Lozark

I felt the same way, for some reason with my guitars (including my 900$ Breedlove) I wasn't nearly as paranoid about surface scratches. Anyway, I hear tons of people vouch for the static pick guards and I'm sure for good reason.. As for me, I think once you have it for a few weeks then the instinct to protect it like a baby will wear off and you'll just think about playing it. As long as you strum where the neck meets the body and make good use of the case when it's not being played, I think you'll have a great time and it's condition won't be a cause for concern. I hope you have good times with your new instrument, enjoy strumming! Welcome to the UU Forums!

Unless you use a flat pick or finger picks, your finger tips won't scratch the surface. I play with my hands - the skin of my finegrs, with my nails cut to the quick. The only thing I ever get are wear spots at the area I anchor my fingers when picking.

Top Bottom