Looking into getting a KoAloha pineapple soprano... Any thoughts???

kraaazyugs

Reaction score
I really love the shape and have heard that pineapple ukes have a fuller sound. I haven't got a chance to play one yet, but really want to!!! I have Lanikai LU-21C, and it doesn't have a very full sound. My ukulele teacher switched the Aquila strings for Kala Red low g strings and it did improve the sound. My uke now sounds fuller, but I would like to invest in a uke that sounds really nice.

-Kalyn :D

Last edited:
Aloha Kraaazyugs, I never played a KoAloha uke yet, but I'm sure its a quality instrument in all aspects. A pineapple bodied uke has a fuller sound due to its larger sound chamber if you will. It's definitely an upgrade should you choose to go with it. Going from a concert size to soprano should'nt be too difficult. Good luck on YOUR decision......BO.....

I prefer Kamaka pineapples for a deeper sound......but that's just me....they are the ones who invented it....

I prefer kamaka also, but the koaloha is a bit cheaper and this is my early x-mas present (from my mom, I'm a kid) and it's already expensive.

I've never played a Koaloha pineapple, but I've played a couple of their normal sopranos. I thought they sounded and felt really good, but I didn't really care for them aesthetically (the laser etched logo and the headstock shape aren't my taste). They DID feel really great though. I would like to try one of their pineapples, as well as a Kamaka pineapple. As Stan says, Kamaka invented the shape. And I like the looks of their version better. BUT... if my mom (or wife, or anyone else!) was willing to get me one for a Christmas present, well then, that would be a whole different story!

Aloha & welcome to UU. Ya Koaloha pineapple sounds great. Awesome Ukulele awesome mom.

A pineapple bodied uke has a fuller sound due to its larger sound chamber if you will.
While I concede that that is logically a possibility, I believe that the specific woods (and whether laminate or solid, especially for the top) have more impact on the overall sound than the shape.

Some woods are just louder/brighter than others, like spruce and cedar. Mahogany tends to have a more mellow/soft sound.

OP has a Lanikai LU-21C. I looked it up. Nato top/back/sides. I'm not familiar with Nato, but in my experience, if it doesn't say "solid" in the description, then it's a laminate. And laminate tops are generally not as loud as solids.

While I concede that that is logically a possibility, I believe that the specific woods (and whether laminate or solid, especially for the top) have more impact on the overall sound than the shape.

Some woods are just louder/brighter than others, like spruce and cedar. Mahogany tends to have a more mellow/soft sound.

OP has a Lanikai LU-21C. I looked it up. Nato top/back/sides. I'm not familiar with Nato, but in my experience, if it doesn't say "solid" in the description, then it's a laminate. And laminate tops are generally not as loud as solids.

I think that a pineapple is a bit louder and fuller (more low end response without any loss of highs) than a standard-shaped uke of the same wood, from what I've experienced. A laminate pineapple has the same extra oomph over a laminate hourglass shape too, just by virtue of the fact that it has more volume and more surface area.

I think that a pineapple is a bit louder and fuller (more low end response without any loss of highs) than a standard-shaped uke of the same wood, from what I've experienced. A laminate pineapple has the same extra oomph over a laminate hourglass shape too, just by virtue of the fact that it has more volume and more surface area.
Probably. I should have clarified my point by saying it depends on all other aspects being equal. Yes, I would expect a pineapple with the exact same woods and construction and strings may have a little more "oomph" (probably only marginally) than an equivalent hourglass.

I got one. I love it. Played a "normal" Koaloha soprano once and couldn't tell the difference in sound. The only thing about it I don't like is that my friends call it "the egg" and not "the pineapple" ;)

Hi Kraaaaaazy...

I can't speak for the Koaloha but I can tell you that my Pineapple MELE koa is like a foghorn... very dynamic. It's probably my loudest uke. I love it... and it set me back a lot less than a Koaloha! I've become convinced that "expensive" isn't always necessary to get a great uke. Hoep ths helps. And GREAT to have you on the boards with us!

I haven't played a Koaloha pineapple but I can tell you that you really won't be disappointed with anything they make. I went from a cheaper uke to a KoAloha and I was blown away! I would go for it but it's your decision:) Good Luck!

Any thoughts? I think you should get it. :B Consider the longneck if you want more than twelve frets. But you'll love it regardless.

I've played both. I've played both compared to each of the soprano models. The pineapple has a different tone than the hourglass body. It sounds rounder and warmer to me, for both makers.

I'm a KoAloha guy through and through, however if I was looking at the standard model, I would have to go with the Kamaka. I agree that the KoAloha pineapple shape is a little funny. Also, the standard only has 12 frets, where the newer Kamakas come with 15 or 16. I don't remember. I prefer the bright lively tone of the KoAloha, but the extra frets makes a huge difference for me. Now if you were getting the Long neck versions of each one, then I think it would tip back towards KoAloha, simply because of the tone. I know everyone says that Kamaka is Hawaii, which I'm inclined to agree with, but the KoAloha produces the tone I associate with the ukes I've heard growing up as a kid. Now this makes no sense all the ukes I heard were Kamakas (my dad is a Kamaka guy). I guess my memory is funny. :)

Put me in the Kamaka Kamp. The original pineapple uke, sounds rich and is a beauty to look at!
KoAloha makes nice ukes too, but if you are looking at the KoAloha pineapple then I would go that little bit more for the original pineapple!!

I prefer kamaka also, but the koaloha is a bit cheaper and this is my early x-mas present (from my mom, I'm a kid) and it's already expensive.

I also prefer Kamaka. At this price range, I would go the little bit extra and get a Kamaka. (How about you throw in the extra money?)

I have a KoAloha Longneck Pineapple and really love it. It has a nice and full sound. I've played a Kamaka soprano (figure eight) and it was nice too. I know people keep saying get the Kamaka because it's the original pineapple but I think that is a little bit of a silly reason. Just because it is the original doesn't mean it would be the best FOR YOU. You did say that you preferred Kamaka in your post so maybe it would be the best for you but don't assume it's the best just because its the original.

Top Bottom