One Ukulele Picture Posters, now I need your stories

lambchop

Reaction score
Hi all - I'll be PMing all the posters who submitted pictures that were used in my One Ukulele video, but I also thought I'd post here as people in UU may want to read a little background on the ukes that are featured. So if you want to post a little something - the more detail the better - and feel okay with me using your words in my One Ukulele blog, please feel free to do so - here or PM me, either way. I started it out with a little blurb on my Jake signed Cordoba (http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/names/sweetstick-from-mole-in-the-ground-music--MG100.htm)

Thanks, Mike

Hm ok, well it's a little vague and I didn't get a PM yet so I'll wait for his response.

Hi Dane - love a story on how you took that picture, but also details of the ukulele and of course material about how long you have played, any YouTube channel info, websites you have and such - yeah, I was pretty vague, but I think I am interested in both the uke and the player! Thanks in advance for your help. Mike

Well sure. I am Dane Mehl, I live in Santa Barbara, CA. I've been playing the ukulele for almost 4 years now, even though at first I was not so motivated, now I can't go a day now without playing. I started with an Oscar Schmidt OU3 which is a concert, and laminate plywood with an incredibly thick coating of gloss, very heavy, and it sounded downright awful. Eventually I bought a Ohana TK 35G, a solid mahogany tenor, and this is when my ukulele playing really started taking off.

I really love this instrument, and this one in particular caters to my creative needs, the sound fits me perfectly. And it truly is a beautiful instrument, the neck is this beautiful creamy peanut butter color with these crack-stripes of brown through it, the fretboard is a dense dark chocolate color and the body is a rich redish brown mahogany color with beautiful grain line pattern.

Not too long ago I installed a Mi-Si acoustic trio pickup in it (I didn't do the best job, and I don't like the Mi-si too much) but with some reverb, I've been able to mask that and experiment with whole new sounds that I could not achieve before.

I know this ukulele to be female, and I finally found a name for her recently. "Lamia", This name is very fitting for the instrument, the name has a very dark background in Greek mythology, and then in Basque lore it is known as a friendly mermaid-type creature. My Lamia can be very beautiful and pretty, and then she can be very dark and mysterious.

This coming Christmas however, I have asked for a Kala Tenor Acacia from my family. Once I have played both of the instruments, I will pick one of them to string low G, and this will broaden my playing. I hope Lamia does not get jealous.

I am a photographer as my main occupation, you can find my website at www.danemehlphotography.com but I am hoping at some point to do things musically as well, I am currently in the process of researching teachers in my current area, I have not had a teacher yet, and it's coming to the point where I really need to have one.

For this particular photograph, it's a simple trick to make it transparent. You put a camera on a tripod, set the shutter speed to a long duration (the longer the better) I think this was a 30 second exposure, at 15 seconds you reach in a pull the ukulele out as quick as possible, without moving the chair at all. You could do this at shorter speeds as well, but you would probably need to cover your arm with black non-reflective clothing. This way the ukulele was only in the picture for half of it, and then chair has stayed in the same position for the whole duration. You could also do this same effect with multiple exposures, or seperate photographs, and then combine them in photoshop via opacity adjustments and possibly blending modes.

I still have the OU3, but I refuse to sell it to anyone, because I think it would be unjust to sell someone such a crappy instrument, I am considering taking it apart and using the neck to make a cigar box uke or something.

My youtube channel is www.youtube.com/daneuni

Last edited:
Well.. Not much of a story on the one you used of my 'Bango". It is a 1930s era Harmony Banjole I bought a couple years ago as a basket case. I restored it back to playable condition, but left the cosmetics pretty much intact. I didn't want to erase it's total history. I was able to clean the original lambskin head and I was glad to keep that original. Took it completely apart, cleaned up the hardware and wood. Took off dirt and grime, but tried to leave as much of it's "patina" I could. The tuners were no good at all, so I replaced those with more updated geared tuners. I had to make a nut from a bone block blank. The bridge is maple, ebony and bone which I milled down quite a bit to lower the action to a playable level. Also matched the nut to make the action the same down the scale. It has colored strings from a bloke I met from the UK. It plays pretty nice, and I enjoy it. It was named "Bango" because my grand daughter kept telling me "Granpa, play me the lil' bango..' So, that's it's name.

2 pictures:

Ohana Vita being played with broken wrist:
The Ohana Vita is about the sweetest uke I've played; lovely old time sound with a lot of bark and volume. The pink cast was chosen by my grand daughter after surgery to put a plate on my wrist ( wrist doubly broken in bicycle accident.) The Ohana was the most comfy to play. It was donated later that year to benefit a local charity auction. I miss it - probably my favorite uke. I wish for another.

2 Flukes and a Flea:
The Abstract Fluke was the first ukulele I ever played; a Christmas gift I gave to my wife back in the late 90's(?) She had never played, but this guitarist strummed it once and was hooked.
The Mango Flea soprano has a K & K pickup and it gigs with me.
The Tiki Mug Fluke was bought here on the forum and is strung low G - my current comfy favorite.

Dane, I looked at your art and your music and you're just amazing. Incredible stuff, I am honored to know you. Mike

Last edited:
Well.. Not much of a story on the one you used of my 'Bango". It is a 1930s era Harmony Banjole I bought a couple years ago as a basket case. I restored it back to playable condition, but left the cosmetics pretty much intact. I didn't want to erase it's total history. I was able to clean the original lambskin head and I was glad to keep that original. Took it completely apart, cleaned up the hardware and wood. Took off dirt and grime, but tried to leave as much of it's "patina" I could. The tuners were no good at all, so I replaced those with more updated geared tuners. I had to make a nut from a bone block blank. The bridge is maple, ebony and bone which I milled down quite a bit to lower the action to a playable level. Also matched the nut to make the action the same down the scale. It has colored strings from a bloke I met from the UK. It plays pretty nice, and I enjoy it. It was named "Bango" because my grand daughter kept telling me "Granpa, play me the lil' bango..' So, that's it's name.
Thanks, I'll put this in the blog soon. Mike

2 pictures:

Ohana Vita being played with broken wrist:
The Ohana Vita is about the sweetest uke I've played; lovely old time sound with a lot of bark and volume. The pink cast was chosen by my grand daughter after surgery to put a plate on my wrist ( wrist doubly broken in bicycle accident.) The Ohana was the most comfy to play. It was donated later that year to benefit a local charity auction. I miss it - probably my favorite uke. I wish for another.

2 Flukes and a Flea:
The Abstract Fluke was the first ukulele I ever played; a Christmas gift I gave to my wife back in the late 90's(?) She had never played, but this guitarist strummed it once and was hooked.
The Mango Flea soprano has a K & K pickup and it gigs with me.
The Tiki Mug Fluke was bought here on the forum and is strung low G - my current comfy favorite.
Thanks for the info - I will post it soon. Mike

Mike, thanks for including my "fluke in the mountains photo". It was taken this last July at Aneroid Lake in the Wallowa Mountains of NE Oregon. My wife and I took a little road trip to visit our son who had a summer internship working for Wallowa Resources. I had bought the fluke just a few days earlier at Pacific Winds Music in Eugene, OR, specifically so I could take it along on hikes and backpacking. In addition to being light and durable -- essential qualities for backpacking -- it also sounds great. I ended up giving it to my son after taking it along on my trip to Yosemite later in the summer.

As for me, I credit backpacking with my renewed interest in the ukulele. A couple summers back on a backpacking trip to Yosemite, my brother-in-law decided to bring his daughter's child-size guitar along for fireside strumming, so I brought my Kamaka soprano that had been collecting dust for years. We had some great jams, but after hearing what he could do with that toy guitar, I decided it was time to really learn some uke. It has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life.

Here's a link to the photo in question:
http://my.starstream.net/cinci/fluke-mtns.jpg

Top Bottom