First look at Lace wood Concert

rickmorgan2003

Reaction score
I've posted pics of the soprano I'm making for my wife but now I have gotten far enough along on my own uke to post a preview. Body/neck are lace wood. Purple heart makes up the inlay, fingerboard, center strip on back and neck, bindings and saddle.
I'm finishing up the bindings but it is getting quite close to final assembly.
Not sure if I made enough room for the sound to get out but I wanted to try a muli-hole approach to the turtle inlay but I had to work around the bracing so this is what I came up with. I may try to retrofit a side port hole but not sure if I can pull that off at this stage with my skill level;)

Attachments

• concert inlay closeup rough.jpg
    concert inlay closeup rough.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 63
  • concert uke front post binding.jpg
    concert uke front post binding.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 64
  • concert uke side view post binding.jpg
    concert uke side view post binding.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 58
Aloha Rick,
Thanks for sharing the up dates....awesome Honu(Turtle in Hawaiian)will you be putting an additional sound port on thhe side???
Just wondering....keep us updated, MM Stan...

Aloha Rick,
Thanks for sharing the up dates....awesome Honu(Turtle in Hawaiian)will you be putting an additional sound port on thhe side???
Just wondering....keep us updated, MM Stan...

I am playing with the idea. I've never done it before and I didn't think ahead to that possiblity so I didn't put any additional wood in the side for support. Not sure how critical that is. Any thoughts on how to do it?

I've posted pics of the soprano I'm making for my wife but now I have gotten far enough along on my own uke to post a preview. Body/neck are lace wood. Purple heart makes up the inlay, fingerboard, center strip on back and neck, bindings and saddle.
I'm finishing up the bindings but it is getting quite close to final assembly.
Not sure if I made enough room for the sound to get out but I wanted to try a muli-hole approach to the turtle inlay but I had to work around the bracing so this is what I came up with. I may try to retrofit a side port hole but not sure if I can pull that off at this stage with my skill level;)

That is so cool. Love it. Bet the combo of all those holes will be enough. Hope an experienced luthier will comment.

How was the lacewood to bend? It has been a while since I worked with it, and that was only some veneered panels..

How was the lacewood to bend? It has been a while since I worked with it, and that was only some veneered panels..

It has it's quirks. The pores sit deeper than the laces so when bending it needs support or it tends to break at the laces level. A bending machine should negate that problem. I went through a couple pieces before getting two workable sides but my tools are primitive by luthier standards. The sides are thicknessed by hand so vary a bit and my bending is done over a 1.5 in galvanized pipe in a vise with a soldering iron stuck in it. Temp control- ha ha. Comparison: the morado soprano I did at the same time I lost on piece to breakage, the lace wood 3. But that because I don't have much experience at this.

Top Bottom