PDA

View Full Version : The wait is killing me!

mwaller
11-30-2010, 05:54 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/mwaller/ShipmentInfo.jpg

Any guesses about what might be arriving today? I'll give you some hints... 4A Koa... Ebony accents... Peghed tuners...

Mika

brickerenator
11-30-2010, 06:19 AM
Moore Bettah

mwaller
11-30-2010, 06:22 AM
Moore Bettah

Great guess, but I received my Moore Bettah back in May of this year.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?31699-Two-New-Arrivals!&highlight=arrivals

Any other guesses?
Mika

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
11-30-2010, 06:49 AM
Less Bettah?

mwaller
11-30-2010, 06:52 AM
Less Bettah?

Of course - that goes without saying. After owning a Moore Bettah, everything is Less Bettah!
Mika

808boy
11-30-2010, 06:53 AM
Kamaka Jake special? Anticipation is killing us also. What ever it is, good for you Brah............

mwaller
11-30-2010, 06:56 AM
Kamaka Jake special? Anticipation is killing us also. What ever it is, good for you Brah............

Excellent guess - very close! Kamaka Tenor it is, but without the JS appointments.
Mika

RyanMFT
11-30-2010, 06:57 AM
Pics, pics, pics.....hope it arrives soon!

808boy
11-30-2010, 07:02 AM
Congrats Mika,
Owning a Kamaka is on my BUCKET LIST!!!! Again, congrats and wishing you and your new best friend all the best......BO.......Oh,just noticed your 100 post, congrats on senior status also......

mm stan
11-30-2010, 07:11 AM
Aloha Mika,
Congrats on your new Kamaka Tenor....Have Fun and enjoy!! Happy Strummings!! Hope it arrives soon....MM Stan

Mandarb
11-30-2010, 07:29 AM
Congrats on the Kamaka and your Senior Member status. I received my Kamaka Tenor a couple of months ago and I love it. Good luck - I look forward to some pics.

dkcrown
11-30-2010, 07:34 AM
I was going to guess a Collings because of the pegheads. Congrats and enjoy the Kamaka Mika

mwaller
11-30-2010, 08:02 AM
I was going to guess a Collings because of the pegheads. Congrats and enjoy the Kamaka Mika

I actually sold my Collings to help fund the Kamaka. Loved the Peghed tuners, but I never warmed up to the Collings. I was delighted when Kamaka agreed to install the Pegheds on my special order HF-3.
Will post pics when it arrives!
Thanks,
Mika

misterpk
11-30-2010, 08:10 AM

I was going to guess Collings too! That's awesome that Kamaka agreed to install them. They are awesome. They were on a Collings and also a Pohaku uke that I tried out at Gryphon strings this past weekend and I was amazed at how easy they were to turn and how light they were. My dad's 8 string Kamaka is super heavy at the headstock end and I bet if they would have used Peghead tuners it wouldn't be bad at all!

mwaller
11-30-2010, 10:17 AM
The wait is over! I happened to be on my lunch break when the uke was delivered. Here are some quick and dirty shots...

Good times are ahead...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/mwaller/IMG_5826.jpg

Anticipation mounts...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/mwaller/IMG_5827.jpg

The moment of truth...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/mwaller/IMG_5828.jpg

mwaller
11-30-2010, 10:21 AM
Beautiful clean lines...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/mwaller/IMG_5831.jpg

Sweet Peghed tuners...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/mwaller/IMG_5830.jpg

Simple, elegant, and functional...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/mwaller/IMG_5832.jpg

mwaller
11-30-2010, 10:23 AM
Yummy koa...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/mwaller/IMG_5833.jpg

I'm loving the grain pattern and curl...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/mwaller/IMG_5834.jpg

That's all for now!
Mika

misterpk
11-30-2010, 10:34 AM
That is a good looking uke. I love the grain on it!

Ronnie Aloha
11-30-2010, 10:38 AM
OMG! That is stunning! How long ago did you order it?

sukie
11-30-2010, 10:39 AM
Great guess, but I received my Moore Bettah back in May of this year.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?31699-Two-New-Arrivals!&highlight=arrivals

Any other guesses?
Mika
Wait a minute! You have a MB and got something else?

Can't possibly guess what it is. But -- Happy New Uke Day!

808boy
11-30-2010, 10:45 AM
Absolutely Beautiful.....Enjoy it......

mwaller
11-30-2010, 10:45 AM
OMG! That is stunning! How long ago did you order it?

Thanks for your message!
I placed the order about six weeks ago.
Mika

moka
11-30-2010, 10:57 AM
Beautiful !!

By curiousity can i ask you how much you paid it?

Happy strummings !

mwaller
11-30-2010, 11:04 AM
Beautiful !!

By curiousity can i ask you how much you paid it?

Happy strummings !

About one mortgage payment :-)
Mika

JoeOahu
11-30-2010, 06:43 PM
Mika I feel your pain!
My Kamaka's coming tomorrow.. I can't wait any longer either haha.
It sounds like yours is much sweeter than my ordinary HF-3 though,
but either way we're about to get our minds blown away yes?

Joe

Chris Tarman
11-30-2010, 06:58 PM
Oh golly that is a nice looking thing! Enjoy!

hamshu
11-30-2010, 07:30 PM
Thanks for sharing with us.

Mandarb
12-01-2010, 03:21 AM
Looks beautiful! Enjoy!

mendel
12-01-2010, 03:28 AM
That is one fine looking instrument! I aspire to feel like I am good enough to appreciate playing an instrument of that caliber someday. Enjoy, and happy strumming!

The_Oddness_of_It_All
12-01-2010, 05:00 AM
:drool: wow, thats one fine lookin instrument :iwant:

mwaller
12-01-2010, 06:14 AM
Mika I feel your pain!
My Kamaka's coming tomorrow.. I can't wait any longer either haha.
It sounds like yours is much sweeter than my ordinary HF-3 though,
but either way we're about to get our minds blown away yes?

Joe

It's a great instrument. I think you will be very pleased!
Mika

RyanMFT
12-01-2010, 06:27 AM
Stunning! Thanks for the pictures! Enjoy!

JoeOahu
12-01-2010, 07:05 AM
It's a great instrument. I think you will be very pleased!
Mika

I just saw yours. My god it's absolutely stunning! I'm very jealous haha.
Happy playing, Brah. :)

Joe

DAPuke
12-01-2010, 07:46 AM
Ahh, the stunning, it blinds! I'm happy for you. Play us a song:) I wanna hear.
DAP

sukie
12-01-2010, 07:52 AM
That is one fine looking instrument! I aspire to feel like I am good enough to appreciate playing an instrument of that caliber someday. Enjoy, and happy strumming!

Not to go off topic, BUT --

You are worth it no matter how long you have played.

I got my first "nice" ukulele after 6 months of playing. I got a KoAloha and it made me want to play more and get better. I loved it. About 2 months ago I received my Moore Bettah. Am I worthy? Heck, no. But I love to play it and it makes me want to get way better. You will be able to hear the difference in the sound when you get a "good" one. You'll sound better too. Plus, they're just plain awesome.

BACK ON TOPIC -- I hope you're enjoying your mew kamaka, Mika.

wickedwahine11
12-01-2010, 07:56 AM
Congratulations on your beautiful new Kamaka. They are lovely instruments, aren't they? I know I love mine beyond belief. I'm sure you will do the same. :)

Faricelli
12-01-2010, 08:02 AM
Hands down, one of the nicest Kamaka's I ve seen.

molokinirum
12-01-2010, 08:02 AM
Congratulations on your beautiful new Kamaka. They are lovely instruments, aren't they? I know I love mine beyond belief. I'm sure you will do the same. :)

I agree 150%!!! Have tons of fun and enjoy!!

mwaller
12-02-2010, 11:01 AM

Thanks! Yes, definitely a great playing instrument. The sound is astonishingly good for a brand new instrument.
I'm a bit embarrassed to report that the Peghed tuners were not installed correctly. The E-string tuner began to slip in the headstock. When I loosened the string to investigate, the tuner literally fell out out of the hole. Clearly, the tuners were not secured with glue as the manufacturer recommends. Moreover, the the tuner that fell out has Left-hand (LH) threads. According to the manufacturer, LH tuners should only be installed on the bass side; RH tuners should be used on the treble side.
I can fix this myself pretty easily, but I'm surprised that I have to do this level of rework on a new instrument.
Mika

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
12-02-2010, 11:31 AM
Do not use any type of glue other than yellow glue. Your finish will thank you. As you've discovered there are indeed left and right handed threads on the Peghed tuners. The threads are on a tapered shaft and actually tighten the bond to the head stock when installed properly. If you don't replace them with the correct tuners they will always be trying to "unscrew" themselves by the tension on the strings.
BTW, you really don't even need the glue, (I know builders who don't) it's there more as a safeguard if your peg hole isn't perfect. If you have the proper shaped (taper) hole of the correct size, the Pegheds will actually cut threads on the inside on the hole, holding them on securely.

mwaller
12-02-2010, 12:49 PM
Do not use any type of glue other than yellow glue. Your finish will thank you. As you've discovered there are indeed left and right handed threads on the Peghed tuners. The threads are on a tapered shaft and actually tighten the bond to the head stock when installed properly. If you don't replace them with the correct tuners they will always be trying to "unscrew" themselves by the tension on the strings.
BTW, you really don't even need the glue, (I know builders who don't) it's there more as a safeguard if your peg hole isn't perfect. If you have the proper shaped (taper) hole of the correct size, the Pegheds will actually cut threads on the inside on the hole, holding them on securely.

Thanks for the input, Chuck! I am planning to remove all of the tuners to ensure that they are installed in the correct locations, and will secure them with a drop of Titebond.
Thanks,
Mika

mwaller
12-03-2010, 07:22 PM
Thanks for the input, Chuck! I am planning to remove all of the tuners to ensure that they are installed in the correct locations, and will secure them with a drop of Titebond.
Thanks,
Mika

All is now well in Kamaka land! I removed all 4 Peghed tuners and discovered that C-string and E-string tuners had been swapped. I also discovered that all but the loose E-string tuner had been secured with glue, so removing them required a lot of patience and elbow grease. After cleaning the glue reside from the tuners and the holes, I reinstalled the Pegheds in the correct locations and secured them with a drop of Titebond on the threads. Now everything works as it should!

I took the opportunity to install some new strings - D'addario T2 Titanium trebles (hard tension). These strings are magic on my Moore Bettah, so I thought I should give them a try on the Kamaka. My initial impression is that these strings sound good, but not great on the Kamaka. I will give them a week or two to break in before passing any more judgement. I probably owe it to myself to try the D'Addario J72 nylon strings at some point in the near future...

Cheers,
Mika

Ronnie Aloha
12-03-2010, 07:32 PM
Glad to hear things worked out Mika.

Mopey
12-04-2010, 03:48 AM
Thanks! Yes, definitely a great playing instrument. The sound is astonishingly good for a brand new instrument.
I'm a bit embarrassed to report that the Peghed tuners were not installed correctly. The E-string tuner began to slip in the headstock. When I loosened the string to investigate, the tuner literally fell out out of the hole. Clearly, the tuners were not secured with glue as the manufacturer recommends. Moreover, the the tuner that fell out has Left-hand (LH) threads. According to the manufacturer, LH tuners should only be installed on the bass side; RH tuners should be used on the treble side.
I can fix this myself pretty easily, but I'm surprised that I have to do this level of rework on a new instrument.
Mika
I agree, that is very sloppy. I would be on the phone to them right away! Yeah its an easy fix but you shouldn't have to do it.

Mandarb
12-06-2010, 06:52 AM
I probably owe it to myself to try the D'Addario J72 nylon strings at some point in the near future...

Not sure if you meant D'Addario J71s - the D'Addario J72s are light gauge mandola strings. I put some J71s on my Kamaka a couple of weeks ago and they sound great - I really like them. Glad to hear you got everything worked out. Enjoy your uke.

mwaller
12-06-2010, 06:56 AM
Not sure if you meant D'Addario J71s - the D'Addario J72s are light gauge mandola strings. I put some J71s on my Kamaka a couple of weeks ago and they sound great - I really like them. Glad to hear you got everything worked out. Enjoy your uke.

You're correct! Sorry about the typo.
I look forward to trying the J71's.
Mika

mwaller
12-06-2010, 06:59 AM
If you want to hear what this instrument sounds like, I posted a sound clip here:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?39069-Moore-Bettah-Tenor-and-Kamaka-HF-3S-Sound-Clips!

There is also a sound clip of my Moore Bettah for comparison.

Mika