Rank your brands - Top 5

DigableKid

Reaction score
What's crackin'?

Like the thread says, what top 5 uke brands would you buy if money didn't hold you back?

I'm planning to buy another uke so please help me out.

Thanks,
Digablekid

Aside from my custom MP (which I remain consistently amazed by and head over heels in love with :love:), I'd really like to get my hands on ukes by the following custom luthiers. I'm no good at ranking, so... in no particular order:

William King (Chantus)
Dave Means (Glyph)
Kevin Crossett (Kepasa)
Peter Hurney (Pokahau)
Michael DaSilva
Duane Heilman (Black Bear)
Dave Talsma

Whoops...that's seven, not five! :eek::biglaugh: Guess I'm no good at counting either.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
They all have their own character. It's not really a matter of one being "better" than another. The major Hawaiian builders appear to be more alike than they are different.

Some of the high-end Ko'olau's get very pricey but I'm sure they deserve their price tag. The current mainstream production Martins aren't anywhere near the standards of those made in the 20's and 30's. They do make re-issues of the 3k though, that will run you a few thou and the 5k which will run you considerably more. The vintage all-mahogany Martin sopranos are another animal.

Individual luthiers like R.L. Saul and John Mayes will build you a beautiful instrument for $3K plus. Dave Means of Glyph makes a great uke whose prices are a little more reasonable. Michael DeSilva's another good one. There's more, of course, but finding someone who has been lucky enough and experienced enough to sample all of these and give an informed comparison is going to be hard.

Pete Howlett
David Means
Michael DaSilva
Kanilea
Koaloha

Edit - G-String can't not be on this list. That makes it 6. My bad.

Last edited:
Kamaka
G-String
Koaloha
Kelii
Valley Made (Waianae)

My favorites have different sounds from each other, although the Larrivee's and Stradelele are much more akin to one another than the others:

Larrivee, Larrivee, Larrivee!!!
Stradelele concert from Joel Eckhaus' Earnest Instruments
Kiwaya
Ohana (for the price, they're great)

I've played a lot of ukes, including Pete Howlett, Mike Da Silva, Pohaku, Kanilea, vintage Martin, vintage Kumalae, Mele, Bruko, Ukebrand, Todaro, Beltona, and a host of others, but Larrivee are my most favorite, with the Stradelele a strong second.

Last edited:
Baskin and Robbins
Gummy Bears from Black forrest
Starburst
Mentos
Whoppers

personally the tone of whoppers is just nil to starburst. Besides the smaller fingerboard of the starburst there really is no downfall to them. im surprised woppers made your list considering the low quality of there entire production line.

your number 1 MGM.:bowdown:

Right now, I can only base this on what I've actually played, but for me, my top brand is Kanile'a. I played a Kanile'a "Sound Monster" today and fell in love. That will definitely be my next uke. As far as the next 4, I'd have to say Pono, Ohana, Kala, and Lanikai.

I can't go and play anything more expensive than that, I'll get in trouble, haha. :D

Top Bottom