PDA

View Full Version : Getting a Kamaka HF-3

JoeOahu
11-30-2010, 06:49 PM
My Kamaka Tenor is coming tomorrow. Thoughts on the instrument? I've been waiting to play one for a while, but have never got to it until now.

janeray1940
11-30-2010, 06:56 PM
Thoughts on the instrument?

Other than, "That's one that is sadly missing from my uke collection"?? :) You'll love it. The waiting must be killing you!

Did you order it new? In most cases Kamakas ship with stock strings, that a lot of UU folks (myself included) do not care much for. I'd recommend swapping them out for Aquilas; some people prefer Worth Browns, and I'm sure there are many other preferences too.

808boy
11-30-2010, 07:04 PM
Aloha JoeOahu ,(local boy?)
Congrats on the new Kamaka. I'm sure it will be Primo. Good for you Brah, enjoy it and welcome to UU, E KOMO MAI !!

mm stan
11-30-2010, 07:10 PM
Aloha JoeOahu,
Welcome to the UU and our forums....and the ukulele and Congrats on the new Kamaka tenor....Have Fun and Enjoy!! Happy strummings....MM Stan

JoeOahu
11-30-2010, 07:12 PM
Haha unfortunately no I'm not local,
Cooped up in Washington at the moment going to college.
Thanks for the kind words I'm sure I'll be blown away haha.

JoeOahu
11-30-2010, 07:15 PM
Thanks for your input!
Yeah, It's always a battle between Aquilas and Worths.. All I know is I'm most likely going to switch them out immediately haha.
I'm leaning towards some worths right now though, but perhaps I'll order both to have in stock. Which one do you personally prefer?

I did order it new btw.

Joe

Uncle Leroy
11-30-2010, 07:20 PM
Your gonna love it, you lucky dog!

rasputinsghost
11-30-2010, 07:24 PM
I got one. It's the nicest uke I've ever played (okay, I played James' G-String for a second, but still.)

JoeOahu
11-30-2010, 07:32 PM
I got one. It's the nicest uke I've ever played (okay, I played James' G-String for a second, but still.)

Thanks for the input. Now it's really killing me to play it.. hahaha.

wickedwahine11
11-30-2010, 07:33 PM
Thanks for your input!
Yeah, It's always a battle between Aquilas and Worths.. All I know is I'm most likely going to switch them out immediately haha.
I'm leaning towards some worths right now though, but perhaps I'll order both to have in stock. Which one do you personally prefer?

It depends. If you go high g reentrant tuning, the Worth Clear Tenors are pretty nice. If you go low g, I would recommend the Worth CHLG-HD ones. I think Elderly Instruments is the only place I have been able to buy those though.

Another nice option if you go reentrant (which I actually like better than the Worth CT) is to use Savarez Alliance guitar strings.

JoeOahu
11-30-2010, 07:38 PM
It depends. If you go high g reentrant tuning, the Worth Clear Tenors are pretty nice. If you go low g, I would recommend the Worth CHLG-HD ones. I think Elderly Instruments is the only place I have been able to buy those though.

Another nice option if you go reentrant (which I actually like better than the Worth CT) is to use Savarez Alliance guitar strings.

Alright I'll try them. Very very good info.

Joe

mds725
11-30-2010, 09:37 PM
Congratulations on the new ukulele. The Kamaka HF-3 is my dream ukulele. I hope you post photos and videos after you get it.

I did order it new btw.

Did you order directly from Kamaka or from a retail store that carries Kamakas? Just curious.

guitharsis
11-30-2010, 10:44 PM
Congrats on the new Kamaka. You're going to love it!

Mandarb
12-01-2010, 04:02 AM
My Kamaka Tenor is coming tomorrow. Thoughts on the instrument?

I got my Kamaka a couple of months ago. I ordered it directly from the factory. It is great - I love it.

Thanks for your input!

I did order it new btw.

Joe

I put D'Addario J71s on last week (they are the same diameter as the stock strings). They sound great - rich and full.

JoeOahu
12-01-2010, 04:56 AM
Congratulations on the new ukulele. The Kamaka HF-3 is my dream ukulele. I hope you post photos and videos after you get it.

Did you order directly from Kamaka or from a retail store that carries Kamakas? Just curious.

Bought it from a retail store. I'll post pictures later when I receive it later today.

mwaller
12-01-2010, 05:53 AM
Bought it from a retail store. I'll post pictures later when I receive it later today.

Congrats! Yes, please post pics. My special order HF-3 arrived yesterday. It's awesome.
Mika

Ronnie Aloha
12-01-2010, 06:02 AM

Sound from Jeopardy playing...

JoeOahu
12-01-2010, 06:34 AM
Sound from Jeopardy playing...

Jeopardy playing?

JoeOahu
12-01-2010, 06:35 AM
Congrats! Yes, please post pics. My special order HF-3 arrived yesterday. It's awesome.
Mika

Nice! Are there pictures?

Joe

molokinirum
12-01-2010, 06:37 AM
Congrats on the Kamaka. Got mine in Hawaii about one year ago, it is my most favorite uke of the group! It is everything you ever heard.

dkcrown
12-01-2010, 07:42 AM
Jeopardy playing?

I got it Ronnie. It's the music they play while waiting to reveal the contestants final questions. The key word here is waiting!

JoeOahu
12-01-2010, 08:16 AM
I got it Ronnie. It's the music they play while waiting to reveal the contestants final questions. The key word here is waiting!

Haha got it. :P

AzMichael
12-01-2010, 08:25 AM
Congrats!

I got my HF-3 just about a month ago...my first thought was "why did I wait so long to buy one?".

Enjoy!

Oh, and don't forget to throw your hat in the appropriate ring...http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?36984-Favorite-quot-K-quot-Brand-Uke

~Michael

Ronnie Aloha
12-01-2010, 09:49 AM
Is it there yet? Is it there yet?

molokinirum
12-01-2010, 09:58 AM
We're waiting........................................... ...

JoeOahu
12-01-2010, 10:42 AM
We're waiting........................................... ...

You guys are more anxious than I am! I'm still waiting.. The estimated delivery is at the end of the day so that'd be the end of postal hours. Maybe 3-4? Gah I'm really getting ansty now.

Ronnie Aloha
12-01-2010, 11:27 AM
Fingers tapping on my desk...

Coconut Willie
12-01-2010, 11:27 AM
This is worse than having a baby!!!!!

AzMichael
12-01-2010, 11:37 AM
This is worse than having a baby!!!!!

Having a baby was cheaper!!!

~Michael

Coconut Willie
12-01-2010, 11:38 AM
Having a baby was cheaper!!!

~Michael

lolololol!!!!! hahahaha!!!!!!
That's a great one!

BadLands Bart
12-01-2010, 11:50 AM
Do they have the correct address???????

JoeOahu
12-01-2010, 11:50 AM
A very beautiful ukulele. The koa just shines on. However, it came with a low G which i switched out and I am not a fan of the Kamaka strings. I'm gonna be waiting for my worths to come so I can restring it asap. There is also a ding on the top of the neck. I dunno what I should do about that other than accept it..

janeray1940
12-01-2010, 11:55 AM
Really nice! But that's too bad about the ding. I would contact the retailer and tell them about the ding, maybe they can refund you enough to have a local luthier fix it or something along those lines.

JoeOahu
12-01-2010, 11:57 AM
Really nice! But that's too bad about the ding. I would contact the retailer and tell them about the ding, maybe they can refund you enough to have a local luthier fix it or something along those lines.

Good Idea yeah. I'll talk to Sam about it, but other than that I've blown away by the beauty of it. The sound is good, but I'm really not liking the stock strings. Need some decent ones on here pronto. :(

BadLands Bart
12-01-2010, 11:59 AM
Simply beautiful!!! Well was the wait worth it????

Congratulations!!!!

AzMichael
12-01-2010, 12:01 PM
Beautiful...particularly the side! Wow!

I would definately call them about the ding. But between you and me, mine had a ding in the first week. I was upset for about 2 minutes, then accepted the fact the first ding was out of the way!

~Michael

JoeOahu
12-01-2010, 12:02 PM
Yeah I don't really care much I mean if they didn't ding it I would have eventually haha. I don't think it's possible to keep something in mint when you're playing it everyday. Especially me because I'll be playing it quite a lot. AGAIN these strings are really killing it for me. I am a little underwhelmed by the sound. :(

JoeOahu
12-01-2010, 12:03 PM
Simply beautiful!!! Well was the wait worth it????

Congratulations!!!!

Certainly was. :)

mm stan
12-01-2010, 12:09 PM
Aloha JoeOahu,
Congrats on the New Kamaka Tenor....sometimes you need the strings to break in too...till the sound stablizes....do you know how to tune by ear....Have Fun and enjoy!! Happy strummings! MM Stan...
To quicken the breaking in period of the stings...tune uke and bend each string from side to side three times and retune..repeat proceedure 3-4 times....daily until strings set in....Good Luck
Sorry about the ding......if it's small not too bad but I know how you feel paying over 1000.00 bucks and getting that..give the dealer a buzz and let them know..probally could work something out.
take a picture and e-mail it to them......would be the best idea...

JoeOahu
12-01-2010, 12:12 PM
Aloha JoeOahu,
Congrats on the New Kamaka Tenor....sometimes you need the strings to break in too...till the sound stablizes....do you know how to tune by ear....Have Fun and enjoy!! Happy strummings! MM Stan...
To quicken the breaking in period of the stings...tune uke and bend each string from side to side three times and retune..repeat proceedure 3-4 times....daily until strings set in....Good Luck

Thanks for the tip yeah I can tune by ear. I do that when I put on new strings actually haha. :)

molokinirum
12-01-2010, 12:37 PM
Alright...she's finally here!! Very nice looking uke, that grain is beautiful too! The ding sux, contact the seller ask them, but there will be other dings yet to come. If it does not really bother you and you love the uke...play on!!!

Congrats!!

JoeOahu
12-01-2010, 12:37 PM
Update. After playing it long enough and the strings being broken in to an extent I'm falling more and more in love as I play it.

Joe

molokinirum
12-01-2010, 12:47 PM
Very nice!! Don't forget to join the Kamaka Klub!!

JoeOahu
12-01-2010, 12:57 PM
Very nice!! Don't forget to join the Kamaka Klub!!

Oh that's right gonna do that right now. :)

wickedwahine11
12-01-2010, 01:15 PM
Congratulations -- I'm sorry about the ding though. :( I would contact the dealer to let them know and hopefully they can adjust the price and give you a partial refund.

But you will definitely fall more in love with it each day. Kamaka tenors are great!

mds725
12-01-2010, 02:02 PM
Beautiful uke! I can't wait for a sound sample. What retailer did you get it from?

JoeOahu
12-01-2010, 02:28 PM
Beautiful uke! I can't wait for a sound sample. What retailer did you get it from?

I actually got it from the UU site. I'm surprised Sam let the ding slip in. Maybe it happened during travel I'm not sure. But I agree this uke is quite the beauty maybe I'll post a sound sample when I get some new strings on it.

Ronnie Aloha
12-01-2010, 07:27 PM
That a Keeper! Is that a satin finish?

Personally, I like to put my own dings in a brand new uke. I would contact Sam and get an adjustment.

guitharsis
12-01-2010, 10:45 PM
Beautiful Kamaka! Congrats. So sorry about the ding. Contact Sam and see what he's willing to do.

Mandarb
12-02-2010, 02:49 AM
Congrats on the new uke. Sorry to hear about the ding. Good luck and enjoy.

rasputinsghost
12-02-2010, 04:53 AM
Kamaka is great because you can order replacement parts without hassle; I ordered a new nut/saddle from them the other day, no problems.

JoeOahu
12-02-2010, 07:14 AM
That a Keeper! Is that a satin finish?

Personally, I like to put my own dings in a brand new uke. I would contact Sam and get an adjustment.

Nope it's a stardard finish. Yeah I prefer it too, but it's not too noticable. I sent Sam some photos yesterday though.