Getting a Kamaka HF-3

JoeOahu

Reaction score
My Kamaka Tenor is coming tomorrow. Thoughts on the instrument? I've been waiting to play one for a while, but have never got to it until now.

Thoughts on the instrument?

Other than, "That's one that is sadly missing from my uke collection"?? :) You'll love it. The waiting must be killing you!

Did you order it new? In most cases Kamakas ship with stock strings, that a lot of UU folks (myself included) do not care much for. I'd recommend swapping them out for Aquilas; some people prefer Worth Browns, and I'm sure there are many other preferences too.

Aloha JoeOahu ,(local boy?)
Congrats on the new Kamaka. I'm sure it will be Primo. Good for you Brah, enjoy it and welcome to UU, E KOMO MAI !!

Last edited:
Aloha JoeOahu,
Welcome to the UU and our forums....and the ukulele and Congrats on the new Kamaka tenor....Have Fun and Enjoy!! Happy strummings....MM Stan

Haha unfortunately no I'm not local,
Cooped up in Washington at the moment going to college.
Thanks for the kind words I'm sure I'll be blown away haha.

Thanks for your input!
Yeah, It's always a battle between Aquilas and Worths.. All I know is I'm most likely going to switch them out immediately haha.
I'm leaning towards some worths right now though, but perhaps I'll order both to have in stock. Which one do you personally prefer?

I did order it new btw.

Joe

Last edited:
Your gonna love it, you lucky dog!

I got one. It's the nicest uke I've ever played (okay, I played James' G-String for a second, but still.)

Thanks for your input!
Yeah, It's always a battle between Aquilas and Worths.. All I know is I'm most likely going to switch them out immediately haha.
I'm leaning towards some worths right now though, but perhaps I'll order both to have in stock. Which one do you personally prefer?

It depends. If you go high g reentrant tuning, the Worth Clear Tenors are pretty nice. If you go low g, I would recommend the Worth CHLG-HD ones. I think Elderly Instruments is the only place I have been able to buy those though.

Another nice option if you go reentrant (which I actually like better than the Worth CT) is to use Savarez Alliance guitar strings.

It depends. If you go high g reentrant tuning, the Worth Clear Tenors are pretty nice. If you go low g, I would recommend the Worth CHLG-HD ones. I think Elderly Instruments is the only place I have been able to buy those though.

Another nice option if you go reentrant (which I actually like better than the Worth CT) is to use Savarez Alliance guitar strings.

Alright I'll try them. Very very good info.

Joe

Congratulations on the new ukulele. The Kamaka HF-3 is my dream ukulele. I hope you post photos and videos after you get it.

I did order it new btw.

Did you order directly from Kamaka or from a retail store that carries Kamakas? Just curious.

My Kamaka Tenor is coming tomorrow. Thoughts on the instrument?

I got my Kamaka a couple of months ago. I ordered it directly from the factory. It is great - I love it.

Thanks for your input!

I did order it new btw.

Joe

I put D'Addario J71s on last week (they are the same diameter as the stock strings). They sound great - rich and full.

Congratulations on the new ukulele. The Kamaka HF-3 is my dream ukulele. I hope you post photos and videos after you get it.

Did you order directly from Kamaka or from a retail store that carries Kamakas? Just curious.

Bought it from a retail store. I'll post pictures later when I receive it later today.

Congrats on the Kamaka. Got mine in Hawaii about one year ago, it is my most favorite uke of the group! It is everything you ever heard.

Top Bottom