Martin S O Bad rap

Pukulele Pete

Reaction score
I don't understand the bad rap that the Martin SO's get . I've been watching Ebay for ukuleles for years and have only seen one for sale with a crack. I've got one and I think it is a really good ukulele. No ,it doesnt sound like a vintage Martin but mine sounds great, workmanship is excellant, it's a good uke. Other than not being a vintage Martin
I can't find anything wrong with it. Yes ,you pay more for the Martin name but isnt that the case with most major brands. Why the bad rap?

Last edited:
My Martin S-O was a gift from my wife, and my first uke. Love it, it has a great barky sound that none of my other ukes have!
Also, they are regularly seen on the TV show "Raising Hope". :)

Fun little barky ukes. I like mine a lot.
Cheers,
Skottoman

My take is this. Yes they are Martin and that means it will be made well.....But; Martin has been resting on their name a little to much when it came to the S-O. It really is not as loud or warm as the old ones, and it has some to do with the aging and all that, but really they were also made better back then and made in tthe USA.
On the flipside Martin is working on this. I did a review of the Martin OXK last year and I loved it. It sounds great and it is inovative. Stay tuned for what is coming down the line from Martin, there may be some surprises before summer.

I like my S-O. It was the first Martin I ever owned (I had always kind of wanted a Martin guitar, but I rarely play guitar now). It sounds fine, is pretty well-made, and looks like a Martin ought to. My biggest complaint is that it's about $100 overpriced, in my opinion. I bought one anyway, so what do I know??? I must admit, I don't play it often since I got my first vintage Martin, but that is as much to do with the fact that I strung it with a low G as anything else, I think. I wanted to try low G, and figured it would be a reason to play the S-O, but it hasn't worked out that way. I guess I ought to just slap some Aquilas on it and play it loud and hard. It sounds good that way, and the semi-high action is suited to hard strumming.

I have an SO that's got a really sweet tone with Worth strings....just sayin' ;)

My Martin S-O was a gift from my wife, and my first uke. Love it, it has a great barky sound that none of my other ukes have!
Also, they are regularly seen on the TV show "Raising Hope". :)

Fun little barky ukes. I like mine a lot.
Cheers,
Skottoman

I'm going to hijack the thread. I apologize.

I heart Kate Micucci.

I've owned an S-0 for nearly five years (bought it inexpensively on eBay) and I really enjoy it. I agree that it's dumped on unfairly. I think that many folks are just mad that Martin's no longer making a moderately priced 0-style uke in the USA. Unfortunately, that's not the way the economy works in 2010. It doesn't bother me at all as long as it sounds good. It does--not as good as my Koaloha & my Kepasa, I'll admit, but it has that great bark!

Top Bottom