Challenge: Identify this Martin

Mim

Reaction score
Hey yall! A friend of mine came in and brought this Martin ukulele in. Which I love because I dont get the change to play around on vintage instruments much.

But... I can't identify it. But I know some of you guys can!

What I DO know...

Concert Size
Purchased in the 50s (maybe)
Thought it might be a Martin Series 2
Had sheet music included from the 50s
The guy who sold it said he toured with Peter Paul & Mary

So, can you figure out what it is? Approx worth? Any tidbits?

And here are some pics... beware: Lots of pics!

Thanks yall! I am excited to find out what you think it is.
IMG_0408.jpg

IMG_0426.jpg

IMG_0425.jpg

IMG_0423.jpg

IMG_0409.jpg

IMG_0412.jpg

IMG_0418.jpg

IMG_0420.jpg

There is a little surface ding/scratch on the back, but that is about it... it looks great!

Hi MIM, it is a style 1C. From the pictures, it looks to be in great shape. I think they go for $1000 give or take a couple hundred depending on condition. I beleive one recently sold on our Marketplace board for $850. There is one on consignment in Williamsburg for $1400. I passed on it, he only would go down to $1200.

Also, not from the '50s, as Martin only added the "Made in USA" designation in the '60s.

Nice style 1 ...your can tell by the faux turtle bindings...late 50's early sixties with those black tuners....my guess in that condition I'd pay 800.00- 900.00 for it...probally worth a little more..

Last edited:
Gee sorry Mim, it's a fake...I'll give ya 20 bucks for it ;) LOLOLOLOLOL.

I think the "Made in (insert country name)" thing started worldwide in 1963. That's the date that sticks in my mind at least. Some countries did it prior to that, of course, but it became mandated around then. Of course, I could also be full of crap, lol.

Cool! Thanks guys! Wish it was mine! I really love it. It is light as a feather and plays beautifully. But I know the ownder wants to know more about it... so I will pass this info on! When he brought it in I said, "I am going to put it on UU and you will probably have it identified within an hour, but a day at the most!" I deal in new, but am pretty lost when it comes to vintage. You guys impress me so much! Thanks for all your help!

Top Bottom