PDA

View Full Version : TIme off effect on uke playing

SuzukHammer
12-02-2010, 07:58 AM
I have had a trip and relocation of my residence in the last few months.

On top of that, my work had let me go (Don't worry - I knew about these plans for over 15 months. What took them so long?); and so I have also been preparing for a job search.

THe net result was a dramatic drop off in uke playing. I still bought ukes. I just didn't have time to push my practice.

On finally unpacking items, I was placing the ukes up and tuning them as I unwrapped them. I got to playing one.

And I was so damned happy to find that my playing actually seemed better than the last time I seriously was trying. I made mistakes but they sounded fine as I continued to flow.

I think my expectations had lowered because I hadn't played and therefore the music seemed sweeter and a pleasant surprise.

A 2 year old boy who lives in the new apartment complex came by to listen and I let him hold the uke and he hugged it like a puppy. He held it like a puppy 3 times (and I laughed hysterically at the sight) so I promised him I'd make him his own special dolphin makala (with crazy monkey stickers) because I know ukulele love when I see it.

Mandarb
12-02-2010, 08:29 AM
There was a similiar thread about this topic a couple of weeks. I agree that sometimes a little time off - a couple days to a week can help. I am not sure why. Maybe after working and working something a little time off allows it to settle into your head and hands. The whole muscle memory/second nature type of thing.

Good luck with the job search. Thanks for what I think is an interesting topic.

janeray1940
12-02-2010, 08:37 AM
And I was so damned happy to find that my playing actually seemed better than the last time I seriously was trying. I made mistakes but they sounded fine as I continued to flow.

I think my expectations had lowered because I hadn't played and therefore the music seemed sweeter and a pleasant surprise.

I've been thinking about this a bit lately - all the uke players I know seem to have had this experience at times!

I know that with some of the more complex pieces I've been working on, when playing them every day I tend to focus only on the mistakes and not pay attention to how it sounds overall. A few days away from that focus seems to allow me to be a bit more objective when I return to it.

Love the story about the little boy and the uke. Start 'em young!

Mandarb
12-02-2010, 09:27 AM
I know that with some of the more complex pieces I've been working on, when playing them every day I tend to focus only on the mistakes and not pay attention to how it sounds overall. A few days away from that focus seems to allow me to be a bit more objective when I return to it.

Very well said. That is what I was trying to get at but I did not articulate it as well.

SuzukHammer
12-02-2010, 12:47 PM
All I can say is I felt like I had played for years. I was doing my effects technique better, doing things I hadn't thought about. It was like I wasn't me but I was some musician noodling.

DAPuke
12-02-2010, 12:48 PM
so I promised him I'd make him his own special dolphin makala (with crazy monkey stickers) because I know ukulele love when I see it.You sir, are saint. It likely will be a life changing thing for your young neighbor, how many of us would have a different life if the nice neighbor man next door gave us a Makala Dolphin (with crazy monkey stickers) on it when we were kids:) You are a nice man!

side note: do you think monkeys play ukuleles with people stickers on um?...
DAP
Great personal jam story too:)

SuzukHammer
12-02-2010, 12:50 PM
On the job front, I think I'll find something in 2-3 months.

December is a free month as nobody hires; so, I'm not really gonna think about it. Focus will be on health and uke.

I have an interview tomorrow; but I will likely decline any offer based on location and salary and job type.

My industry has job opportunities. I am fortunate. :D

SuzukHammer
12-02-2010, 12:53 PM
Actually, some people in Thailand own monkeys. They even wear monkey diapers when they are young. So..... I will offer a ukulele to a monkey if I have a video camera on. I am just as curious now about your question. People sticker?? Will Hell Kitty stickers do?

In Indonesia, the street monkeys wear face masks. Its freaky.

dave g
12-02-2010, 01:34 PM
I've definitely noticed this phenomenon, with ukes and other things, recently and in the past. What with fixing up the house, getting married, honeymooning, etc., I have not been playing much over the past several months. But yesterday I sat down and played most of the tunes in my song book without a hitch, and pretty well too (if I may say so myself). Weird, but welcome :)

misterpk
12-02-2010, 01:37 PM
I have noticed this with the uke. I thought it would apply to guitar but nope. I picked up my guitar and tried to play a song. It was all barre chords and my hand was dead by the time I got through the chorus the first time. I happened to record it and my transitions were horrible. All in all very disappointing.

Guess I should just stick to playing uke! :)

ADD
12-02-2010, 06:46 PM
I've definitely noticed this phenomenon, with ukes and other things, recently and in the past. What with fixing up the house, getting married, honeymooning, etc., I have not been playing much over the past several months. But yesterday I sat down and played most of the tunes in my song book without a hitch, and pretty well too (if I may say so myself). Weird, but welcome :)

Rushing to get that travel uke ready for your honeymoon didn't get played much? Hope you had a wonderful time.

Hippie Dribble
12-02-2010, 11:55 PM
You sir, are saint. It likely will be a life changing thing for your young neighbor, how many of us would have a different life if the nice neighbor man next door gave us a Makala Dolphin (with crazy monkey stickers) on it when we were kids:) You are a nice man!

side note: do you think monkeys play ukuleles with people stickers on um?...
DAP
Great personal jam story too:)

Great story Suzuk! I agree with both you and Dapuke. Set a postive tone for a child's life with the gift of music. It lasts a lifetime. Good on you mate:)